OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad episode tonight….And is the 'concrete wall' just the concrete injected by Robert Restall in 1961 in an attempt to plug the flood tunnels...
Yep.. A much more interesting episode tonight..

Here are some screen captures to aid discussion..

sc-3.jpg concrete.jpg concrete-pier.jpg

sc-dock-concrete.jpg sc-1.jpg

The concrete wall appears to go very close to the pier. The picture of Rick has him standing on the pier/slipway looking at the concrete. I think the last above images show the concrete wall and the pier in same image.

The pier itself is not that amazing a find

sc-dock.jpg

As this picture shows the remains sticking out of the water. Still if their is an ancient slipway under the more modern pier that would be interesting.

As to concrete if it was not built by the Romans then the concrete must be fairly modern. The tech to make concrete was lost at the end of Roman empire and not rediscovered until mid 18th Centaury. So groups like the Knights Templar did not have the ability to make concrete..

I imagine it will be pretty easy to tell if the concrete was roman or modern in that the way it was made by the Romans is different from the more modern recipes for concrete..

If I was a betting man my money would be on modern... But happy to be wrong...

It seem pretty difficult to believe that those building the pier did not know about the concrete. I would guess the concrete is part of the foundations of the pier... This is why no one mentioned it as it was not relevant to anything to do with the treasure..

The piece of metal

OI -metal-sc.jpg

Could be anything.. Hopefully more investigation will show it to be part of a tool that can be dated (Once again I would bet money it is not a Roman spear point)..

I really hope they can pull some interesting stuff from H8 but the shorts for next week did not show treasure being found...

The expert on the "Rune" stone basically just said a decorative piece used in architecture .. No Runes, no ancient language... Who would of guessed that.....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did some quick research on Roman concrete

Ancient-Roman-Concrete-Stands-the-Test-of-Time_hero.jpg

https://www.asme.org/engineering-to...ciety/ancient-roman-concrete-stands-test-time

Roman concrete has a greenish color

Researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, summarized their findings in the Journal of the American Ceramic Society, and found the ancient Roman combination of limestone, volcanic ash, and seawater required far less heat (which means far less fuel) for solidification than modern concrete

“Contrary to the principles of modern cement-based concrete,” Jackson said, “the Romans created a rock-like concrete that thrives in open chemical exchange with seawater.”

The concrete they showed on OI looked quite white like modern concrete

concrete2.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1677989 View attachment 1677990 View attachment 1677991

View attachment 1677992 View attachment 1677993

The concrete wall appears to go very close to the pier. The picture of Rick has him standing on the pier/slipway looking at the concrete. I think the last above images show the concrete wall and the pier in same image.

View attachment 1677994

As this picture shows the remains sticking out of the water. Still if their is an ancient slipway under the more modern pier that would be interesting.

As to concrete if it was not built by the Romans then the concrete must be fairly modern. The tech to make concrete was lost at the end of Roman empire and not rediscovered until mid 18th Centaury. So groups like the Knights Templar did not have the ability to make concrete..

I imagine it will be pretty easy to tell if the concrete was roman or modern in that the way it was made by the Romans is different from the more modern recipes for concrete..

It seem pretty difficult to believe that those building the pier did not know about the concrete. I would guess the concrete is part of the foundations of the pier... This is why no one mentioned it as it was not relevant to anything to do with the treasure..

The piece of metal

View attachment 1677996

Could be anything.. Hopefully more investigation will show it to be part of a tool that can be dated (Once again I would bet money it is not a Roman spear point)..

I really hope they can pull some interesting stuff from H8 but the shorts for next week did not show treasure being found...

The expert on the "Rune" stone basically just said a decorative piece used in architecture .. No Runes, no ancient language... Who would of guessed that.....

Hand auger drill bit.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1677989 View attachment 1677990 View attachment 1677991

View attachment 1677992 View attachment 1677993

View attachment 1677994

The piece of metal

View attachment 1677996

Actually, the ability to make concrete as the Romans did was rediscovered in the mid 1400's. The Canal du Midi was built of concrete in 1670. I am an operative Mason by trade.

Cheers, Loki

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next weeks preview says there's pipes under the concrete footer

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great post here from last night episode. :occasion14:

The cove is very interesting now with more structures showing up and then they put up a nice graphic we can use to theorize what is going on there.

The concrete wall is more than likely newer as it looked modern. (I use to pour concrete every day for 10 years) but still I wonder how all this stuff they found can tie together? Can it or is it all from different times and people? Really want to know. Sad part is that the concrete wall is very close to the coffer dam wall and I have a funny feeling they will drop it after the Roman speculation as they cant safely dig with out compromising the whole thing collapsing.

Waste of about half the show on H8 or GAL8. Nothing in the spoils and then the sonar goes down and all of a sudden shows a right angle! What? A Cave? A Tunnel? Ancient buried treasure? I'm gonna go with failure on the sonars part as it has a few inches of water in it right when it showed "the angle".... epic fail and plot device for sure.

Lets go to the "rune stone"... well the expert said prob a decoration piece and I can buy that as I thought it was just marks from splitting the stone but the group thinks the expert is wrong so they will find one that will go along with some Viking writing or some new crackpot idea.

They like to spread it nice and thick the bros do don't they? Keep digging the cove and show me more... they are gonna wish they made it even bigger!

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is that one section of the coffer dam that would not be driven down. wonder what it hit.......

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Another...Smack Down...WWE...They Are Now...Just Staying...Down!

the-curse-of-oak-island-season-6-artwork 4.jpg

The History Channel’s “Curse of Oak Island” was the week’s most-watched broadcast yet again, with 3.56 million viewers this time around.

Top 25 original cable shows in total viewers for Jan. 28 — Feb. 3, 2019
RankShowNetDayTimeViewers (000s)
1CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORYTues.9:00 PM3,555
2RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCMon.9:00 PM3,289
3RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCWeds.9:00 PM3,247
4RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCThurs.9:00 PM3,229
5RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCTues.9:00 PM3,227
6DR. PIMPLE POPPERTLCThurs.9:00 PM3,096
7TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSMon.8:00 PM2,948
8HANNITYFOX NEWSThurs.9:00 PM2,866
9HANNITYFOX NEWSMon.9:00 PM2,860
10TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSThurs.8:00 PM2,857
11HANNITYFOX NEWSTues.9:00 PM2,826
12WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.8:00 PM2,816
13GOLD RUSHDISCOVERYFri.9:00 PM2,809
14TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSTues.8:00 PM2,803
15HANNITYFOX NEWSWeds.9:00 PM2,798
16TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSWeds.8:00 PM2,781
17HALL ORIGINAL MOVIE: VALETINE IN THE VINEYARDHALLMARKSat.8:00 PM2,719
18WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.9:00 PM2,718
19THE FIVEFOX NEWSWeds.5:00 PM2,675
20LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELLMSNBCThurs.10:00 PM2,635
21WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.10:00 PM2,575
22THE FIVEFOX NEWSMon.5:00 PM2,559
23LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELLMSNBCWeds.10:00 PM2,536
24TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSFri.8:00 PM2,503
25THE FIVEFOX NEWSThurs.5:00 PM2,479

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waste of about half the show on H8 or GAL8. Nothing in the spoils and then the sonar goes down and all of a sudden shows a right angle! What? A Cave? A Tunnel? Ancient buried treasure? I'm gonna go with failure on the sonars part as it has a few inches of water in it right when it showed "the angle".... epic fail and plot device for sure.
You have to wonder about the experts they keep getting.. I do some underwater photography and to me it looked like that the person who put that waterproof casing on their URV did not put in the O ring or did not tighten it up properly. That fail must of been human error. It looked like a pretty basic mistake....

If there is a cavity there my money would be on earlier searchers made it...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
To Quote...An Original Post!

There is a cavity...But as you have stated...No one has gotten below 100 feet without hitting water!

How can that be...Unless... it was the Original Depositors!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a cavity...But as you have stated...No one has gotten below 100 feet without hitting water!

Ha ha.. I hope you are right!... I suppose the other possibilities are a natural cavity or no cavity at all...

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1678179

The History Channel’s “Curse of Oak Island” was the week’s most-watched broadcast yet again, with 3.56 million viewers this time around.

Top 25 original cable shows in total viewers for Jan. 28 — Feb. 3, 2019
RankShowNetDayTimeViewers (000s)
1CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORYTues.9:00 PM3,555
2RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCMon.9:00 PM3,289
3RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCWeds.9:00 PM3,247
4RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCThurs.9:00 PM3,229
5RACHEL MADDOW SHOWMSNBCTues.9:00 PM3,227
6DR. PIMPLE POPPERTLCThurs.9:00 PM3,096
7TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSMon.8:00 PM2,948
8HANNITYFOX NEWSThurs.9:00 PM2,866
9HANNITYFOX NEWSMon.9:00 PM2,860
10TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSThurs.8:00 PM2,857
11HANNITYFOX NEWSTues.9:00 PM2,826
12WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.8:00 PM2,816
13GOLD RUSHDISCOVERYFri.9:00 PM2,809
14TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSTues.8:00 PM2,803
15HANNITYFOX NEWSWeds.9:00 PM2,798
16TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSWeds.8:00 PM2,781
17HALL ORIGINAL MOVIE: VALETINE IN THE VINEYARDHALLMARKSat.8:00 PM2,719
18WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.9:00 PM2,718
19THE FIVEFOX NEWSWeds.5:00 PM2,675
20LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELLMSNBCThurs.10:00 PM2,635
21WWE ENTERTAINMENTUSAMon.10:00 PM2,575
22THE FIVEFOX NEWSMon.5:00 PM2,559
23LAST WORD W/ L. ODONNELLMSNBCWeds.10:00 PM2,536
24TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHTFOX NEWSFri.8:00 PM2,503
25THE FIVEFOX NEWSThurs.5:00 PM2,479

Dr pimple popper beat gold rush[emoji23]

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wonder about the experts they keep getting.. I do some underwater photography and to me it looked like that the person who put that waterproof casing on their URV did not put in the O ring or did not tighten it up properly. That fail must of been human error. It looked like a pretty basic mistake....

That's a pretty basic error - for an operator of that sort of equipment: it's critical that they know how to assemble it properly and even test it. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long. They were probably too excited by the camera crew/project and skipped a step somewhere.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen concrete that was made before and during the Civil War on tombstones and on crypt burials and the cement looks to me like during the 1850's and later.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A fatal mistake as it looks like it ruined a $2000 - $5000 scanner. Fired on the spot! Long walk home from OI!

Not necessarily true. Could be depositor, searcher or a natural cavity... Lets do Rock, paper, scissors to see what one!

Ha ha.. I hope you are right!... I suppose the other possibilities are a natural cavity or no cavity at all...

Like I said above.... could be any one of the 3 but they have dug here, have had core samples and even a 6' caisson hole.... looks to be nothing to me.

That's a pretty basic error - for an operator of that sort of equipment: it's critical that they know how to assemble it properly and even test it. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long. They were probably too excited by the camera crew/project and skipped a step somewhere.

Yea I looked them up... Chaper 11! :occasion14:

So when they pull up the caisson, they hope the "Chapel Vault" will fall back into the hole like it was before the caisson moved it? OMG, give it up! I was gonna take some pics of this nonsense as it is total Tom Foolerie!
Dunfield filled in a 100'x100'+ hole with all the rubbish he pulled up and could bury. That might create pockets and voids as I am sure he didn't really care about creating sink holes and voids.... he just wanted off the island.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fatal mistake as it looks like it ruined a $2000 - $5000 scanner. Fired on the spot! Long walk home from OI!

Not necessarily true. Could be depositor, searcher or a natural cavity... Lets do Rock, paper, scissors to see what one!

Like I said above.... could be any one of the 3 but they have dug here, have had core samples and even a 6' caisson hole.... looks to be nothing to me.

Yea I looked them up... Chaper 11! :occasion14:

So when they pull up the caisson, they hope the "Chapel Vault" will fall back into the hole like it was before the caisson moved it? OMG, give it up! I was gonna take some pics of this nonsense as it is total Tom Foolerie!
Dunfield filled in a 100'x100'+ hole with all the rubbish he pulled up and could bury. That might create pockets and voids as I am sure he didn't really care about creating sink holes and voids.... he just wanted off the island.

Having the robot submersible flood internally was on purpose. That way it can't be stated on the show that the hole contained.....NOTHING

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having the robot submersible flood internally was on purpose. That way it can't be stated on the show that the hole contained.....NOTHING

Sonar clearly showed a right angle and the sonar tech said... "It could be a tunnel" BOOM! Proof!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sonar clearly showed a right angle and the sonar tech said... "It could be a tunnel" BOOM! Proof!
Now we will get back the diver that stirs up all the mud and can never find anything..... Then they will send down the backup diver who finds a bucket full of mud....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions