A strong start - season 6

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying there ever were flood tunnels but even if there was, with all the digging/back filling over the years they'd be blocked off/crushed by now.... I did notice when they talked about the last time they did the dye test, they didn't mention that Bore Hole 10x was pretty much capped off at the bottom so there was no way for the dye to get out...

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
gazzahk, very well put guy. i will not watch them anymore unless you guys say the actually found something. my wife watches and tells me if she feels it was highly significant that i view that episode. i was a believer once. for over 40yrs, now, i want to believe again. perhaps someone found whatever may have been there and kept their mouth shut. if they can prove there was an original tunnel system and not just searcher tunnels i may come around. i so want to say i was wrong. if you went to all the pains and really went that deep and booby trapped it, even you were afraid of what you buried and wanted no man to possess it. this is what i believe if, the tunnels exist. perhaps they felt that they had the ark or grail.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show summary from this week’s episode:

A) The brothers yet again prove that there are naturally occurring underground water tunnels on the island
B) The money pit are has been dug up many times over the years hundreds of feet deep and the poorly filled previous holes are unstable
C) The was never a treasure or flood tunnels on the island
D) The hoax continues....

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Thought I had whilst on the long drive home today. IF you go to all the trouble of setting up an detailed, elaborate booby trap system to protect what I would assume to be a treasure worthy of such an feat, (ignoring the fact that the more eyes and hands you have on the project the greater the risk for those secrets to be divulged), then you must believe that there is a risk of someone actually attempting to get far enough to the alleged treasure to set off those traps. You certainly wouldn't create a trap that would destroy said treasure, and wouldn't you make it so that you could reset the trap or at least disarm it so that it could be retrieved later? Not just just flood and collapse.

Like I said, passing thought on a long country drive.

As for the dye test. I think the whole island is not only naturally swiss cheese, but also chewed up by earlier searchers.

The bucket found "this week" on a quick glance looked like it had had holes all over the sides, like either a large live fish bucket or a giant version of my sand scoop.

I think some of the animations they show lead people to believe that they are known fact and not based on speculation and stories.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always believed that the story is true, but, due to flooding problems, the brothers will never recover any treasures that is there. Best of luck to the Brothers.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A further interesting point re dye test. I was pretty amazed they had never spoken to Dan about his own dye tests in relation to how long it took the dye to show on the other side of the island. They had their drones up straight away but when asked Dan he said it took three days to show. There may be miles of winding caves, porous ground etc that the dye needs to get through before making it to the ocean. They seem to think it would be there in 2 or 3 hours. I hope that does not mean they just now give up looking because they believe they have evidence of a link to Smiths Cove.

Also I would think you would want to keep adding dye for a much longer time that one small container of dye does not seem much if there is miles of caves etc under OI.

It is a shame with all the money they are spending they seem to do things so slap dash and not well thought out or researched at all.

I am hoping we will see more about the dye tests on the next episode but what they showed did not seem to be taking the whole test very seriously.

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that Smiths Cove is drained and if it's the only source of flood water to the treasure pit would it not make sense to drain (pump out) the test dill holes to see if they fill with water again ?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show summary from this week’s episode:

A) The brothers yet again prove that there are naturally occurring underground water tunnels on the island
B) The money pit are has been dug up many times over the years hundreds of feet deep and the poorly filled previous holes are unstable
C) The was never a treasure or flood tunnels on the island
D) The hoax continues....

I agree with you on A & B. C & D have not been proven to be fact either way... other then the original company that claimed to have found them ( granted may not actually lead to money pit )... Guess you are saying they lied...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A further interesting point re dye test. I was pretty amazed they had never spoken to Dan about his own dye tests in relation to how long it took the dye to show on the other side of the island. They had their drones up straight away but when asked Dan he said it took three days to show. There may be miles of winding caves, porous ground etc that the dye needs to get through before making it to the ocean. They seem to think it would be there in 2 or 3 hours. I hope that does not mean they just now give up looking because they believe they have evidence of a link to Smiths Cove.

Also I would think you would want to keep adding dye for a much longer time that one small container of dye does not seem much if there is miles of caves etc under OI.

It is a shame with all the money they are spending they seem to do things so slap dash and not well thought out or researched at all.

I am hoping we will see more about the dye tests on the next episode but what they showed did not seem to be taking the whole test very seriously.

Thing is they had talked to him about his dye test back when they first tried to duplicate it from Bore X. It failed because the hole was blocked off where it narrowed.. Something to keep in mind their first test ( and I think Dan did on his test as well ) they also used air to force the dye water down the hole. This time they just used a hose to pour water in and used a different hole so could easily get different results..

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
If it appears that this episode with the dye test bombed, you are right however, you are being set-up.

Also, remember that the finger drains were blown to bits by dynamite. There won't be much around Smith's cove. However deeper inland...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is they had talked to him about his dye test back when they first tried to duplicate it from Bore X. It failed because the hole was blocked off where it narrowed.. Something to keep in mind their first test ( and I think Dan did on his test as well ) they also used air to force the dye water down the hole. This time they just used a hose to pour water in and used a different hole so could easily get different results..
You would think they would check 10X too now. If all these tunnels are linked the dye should be in 10X and the cave in pit as well. Still no way have they used enough dye... There must be massive amounts of water through all those big cavaties/caves. If Dan found the dye come out on the other side of the island that one little can of dye will be pretty diluted...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus with no force behind the water it is just sitting in there with just mainly the natural flow of the current in there to flow it out anywhere.. could easily take days like Dan said to show up anywhere...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I always believed that the story is true, but, due to flooding problems, the brothers will never recover any treasures that is there. Best of luck to the Brothers.

Not so. There is a special "flash freeze" method they will use once they are ready. They will be able to dig the ice up like it was rocks and dirt.

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus with no force behind the water it is just sitting in there with just mainly the natural flow of the current in there to flow it out anywhere.. could easily take days like Dan said to show up anywhere...

While I did enjoy the dye test, the attempt left a lot to be desired. The dye is very highly concentrated and one bottle is a lot of dye, but for the best possible results you would need a multiple day feed. Dan is spot on with 3 days for the dye to show. It can take a week to work thru and that is why a multiple day feed is necessary. The reason - water doesn't run uphill. If the bore hole is 180' deep, my guess is a part of that is below sea level and since water doesn't run uphill, the dye is very slow in working it's way up and out into open water. The trickle in Smith's Cove came from the top of the water column. You could speed things up by rigging a dye release in the bottom of the bore hole. Another point - The dye dissipates very quickly in open water and they would need to monitor the open water for a good number of days, another reason for the multiple day feed. I like to believe there was an Oak Island treasure at one time, but I think the flooding of the bore holes is natural water flow.
Oh yea, guess I should mention - I worked in Environmental Enforcement for the government and used multiple colors of this dye for 30+ years.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll Always Be...Number 1!...The Curse Of Oak Island!

Number 1.jpg

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 TV Ratings...The Curse Of Oak Island...Shatters the
Competition!

Lock and Load...and...Rack Them Up Again!

Curse of Oak Island (HIST, 9:00 PM, 63 min.)
• 3.511 million viewers (#1)
• 2.18 HH (#1)
• 0.77 A18-49 (#2)
• 0.30 A18-34 (#12)
• 1.05 A25-54 (#1)

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
View attachment 1688443

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 TV Ratings...The Curse Of Oak Island...Shatters the
Competition!

Lock and Load...and...Rack Them Up Again!

Curse of Oak Island (HIST, 9:00 PM, 63 min.)
• 3.511 million viewers (#1)
• 2.18 HH (#1)
• 0.77 A18-49 (#2)
• 0.30 A18-34 (#12)
• 1.05 A25-54 (#1)

Must be all those skeptics tuning in to have a debate with the TV.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I did enjoy the dye test, the attempt left a lot to be desired. The dye is very highly concentrated and one bottle is a lot of dye, but for the best possible results you would need a multiple day feed. Dan is spot on with 3 days for the dye to show. It can take a week to work thru and that is why a multiple day feed is necessary. The reason - water doesn't run uphill. If the bore hole is 180' deep, my guess is a part of that is below sea level and since water doesn't run uphill, the dye is very slow in working it's way up and out into open water.

True that water doesn't run uphill, but they weren't just waiting for the dye to dissipate; they were pumping in 600 GPM of water. That flow would move quickly unless it had a large volume of water to displace in underwater caverns. I'm with you in that any possible ocean dye appearance could take much longer.

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True that water doesn't run uphill, but they weren't just waiting for the dye to dissipate; they were pumping in 600 GPM of water. That flow would move quickly unless it had a large volume of water to displace in underwater caverns. I'm with you in that any possible ocean dye appearance could take much longer.

They were pumping too much water. I doubt six hundred gallons of water per minute leaving the bore hole would contain enough dye to be visible in open water. Maybe you could read it in a water sample, but then how are you going to know where to pull the sample?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions