Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think OI has gone down hill big time.
Very sad as it use to be a good show. I haven't had anything to type on here as the shows keep getting worse and worse.

If they really have 11 shows left I am not sure what they could fill for content.
Rehashes are getting old and sure do drain my remotes batteries... FF, FF, FF!!! That's all I am doing.

Oh well.... we had some fun for a couple of years.

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Privy Diggers. Must be a lot of top pocket finds in there. The Templars must have shat there too. maybe some Romans and the Spanish. Vikings, did they even use privys? A serious suggest even though it might seem funny or not.

Lets see the aussie do the dance in one of those. lol. The shat kicker dance. !!!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most (only) interesting thing on this episode is that Marty told us the "most interesting" thing they found in Smiths Cove was a Restall shaft(1960s) that pretty much tells us everything else they found was treasure searcher beyond doubt. Because how interesting is a shaft dug by Restall he never found anything in it....

They still are bringing on any looney they can find. Another story backed with zero evidence (and Rick saying "great facts")

soooo no other treasure searcher has ever said "Hey what is this well here for". Right next to the money pit... I bet the people that hid there treasure with so much secrecy built a well next to it that everyone could see...

They just do not have any content for these shows now....

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have thoughts on the slipway and how it was used?

My first impression was that it might be part of a floating platform for careening wooden sailing ships. The large ships would need a heaving down on a regular basis. Ocean going
sailing vessels would most likely have to be careened in the water, or at least partly in the water. There were two good methods for cleaning the ships hull while in the water.
The first method would require blocks in the mast with ropes to the shore to expose as much of one side of the hull as possible for cleaning and repair. Once that side is cleaned and repaired the process would be repeated for the other side. The second method is a "Parliamentary heel" and takes a bit of skill and knowledge. The crew moves the heavy stuff aboard (cannon, etc.) until
enough of one side of the hull is exposed for cleaning and repair. Then reversed to clean and repair the other side. Ships were lost in the poor execution of the process.

Cleaning and repairing the ship bottom (either method) would be much easier for the crew by using a floating platform to work from. Maybe one about the size of the slipway.

French Fisherman settled in the Chester area in the 1750's. A major group of settlers from Massachusetts arrived in the Chester area in 1761. In 1762 Oak Island (Smith's Island then)
was surveyed and divided into 32 four acre lots. There were many years of pre-treasure hunting activity on Oak Island and at Smith's cove. A lot of things to find, not related to treasure. Slipway - Oak Island.jpg

My guess is the bucket, hinge, and other things found in Smith's Cove are related to the French fishing boats or other sailing ships. That slipway just might be part of a careening platform.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The most (only) interesting thing on this episode is that Marty told us the "most interesting" thing they found in Smiths Cove was a Restall shaft(1960s) that pretty much tells us everything else they found was treasure searcher beyond doubt. Because how interesting is a shaft dug by Restall he never found anything in it....

They still are bringing on any looney they can find. Another story backed with zero evidence (and Rick saying "great facts")

soooo no other treasure searcher has ever said "Hey what is this well here for". Right next to the money pit... I bet the people that hid there treasure with so much secrecy built a well next to it that everyone could see...

They just do not have any content for these shows now....

There you go jumping the gun again with absolutes. More info coming up in the next couple of shows on your statements. Are they dragging it out, you bet they are. Besides the obvious(ratings/money from advertisers) ask yourself, why would they drag out this season so much? The answer is right there if you look hard enough.

This is directed at Gazzahk, So Charles and company, you can save your digital breath.

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heaving down the hull of a sailing ship. An_Old_Whaler_Hove_Down_For_Repairs,_Near_New_Bedford.jpg

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they missed.

If one of the early teams really struck the vault and gold with their drill bit then when they withdrew it they left small bits of gold all along the path of the bit. These small bits could be found with today's detectors but I don't think they are looking. And knowing people as I do they probably ran the drill in there a few more times after.

The gold was probably blended in with the other dirt in the pit and now it has run through the big washing machine separator thingy.

But if they suspect they are close to the vault then they should be checking for the tiny pieces of gold that surely still exist. That gold could both confirm their theory or alert them to the vaults presence nearby.

Joe.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one of the early teams really struck the vault and gold with their drill bit then when they withdrew it they left small bits of gold all along the path of the bit
The only ever person that was meant to have seen this gold was Chappel. He NEVER told anyone at the time that he found what he thought was gold traces on his drill... No one else saw gold on his drill. No one else at the time ever saw it or was told about it. This was in the 1890s.. The FIRST report of this event was not until 1930s when another group were trying to raise money for another search...This is the first time that the story of the gold traces was reported...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and as this forum is going now, I assume you know all that to be 100% true how? Did you interview everybody that was at the dig site at the time. yada, yada yada....as I have been saying as of late. No one can prove much of anything either way about the island, searches, found, not found, etc...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and as this forum is going now, I assume you know all that to be 100% true how? Did you interview everybody that was at the dig site at the time. yada, yada yada....as I have been saying as of late. No one can prove much of anything either way about the island, searches, found, not found, etc...

Another discovery made during that excavation only came to light many years following the summer of 1897. As indicated by Lamb, during that fateful excavation, drill operator William Chappell found traces of gold sediment on the auger after drilling into the Money Pit..... Chappell hid his valuable discovery from fellow crewmembers. It was not until 1931 that Chappell's findings would come to light.
https://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/

Timbers from the U shapped structure have been dated before by growth rings

Our growth ring sequence could be for one of the following three periods: 1659 to 1695 (meaning the tree sprouted in 1659 and was cut down in 1695), or 1711 to 1747, or 1822 to 1858. The interesting and valuable thing is this: for each of these three possible periods, there were no spruce budworm infestations! So the lab is quite sure that one of these three periods is correct and that means our sample probably dates to either 1695, 1747 or 1858.

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/u-shaped-structure-dendrochronology-update

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if your a skeptic everything that is written is true, but if your a believer it's all a tall tell till you can prove it... Which can't be done. Just wanted to show everyone how this goes if all we do is ask everyone to "prove it" and turn it into Tom's "Whack a mole" game...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think OI has gone down hill big time....Very sad as it use to be a good show....
I tend to agree they are just stretching out the very little actual content they have into to many episodes.

So far in this 20 episodes we have be shown.

1. Sonic mapping which showed nothing of use
2. The excavation of Smiths Cove which found no new structures or artifacts that had not been found before or were of no actual significance.
3. The "alleged" 90ft stone. Which provided no evidence of a code.
4. Various old metal "junk" that are no significance to treasure and just shows Oak Island has been inhabited/visited by humans for a few hundred years.
5. That there does appear to be a link between Smith Cove and the money pit area (dye test). But no effort to see where the rest of the water is coming from.
6. Another assortment of looney theories from a variety of people who have no actual evidence to back up there theories.
7. Multiple new massive holes which have shown a lot of old wood and other junk from previous treasure searchers.
8. Evidence that the lead cross was made on oak Island (The same lead found in other junk found)
9. Oak island is haunted and Fred was afraid of spending the night on the island.

This is pretty slim pickings for 20 hours of TV.

We are now getting the rumors being spread of "amazing" discovery, armored cars leaving the island middle of night etc.. The reports have been spread pretty much during the middle of the last three seasons also...

If it was not that I am really fascinated by the whole oak Island legend I do not think I would watch anymore, I will keep watching as I said the story is itself is fascinating... Miss your posts around here my friend...

I watch the free online versions which have no ads..

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad this is not the US, so they can’t say the FBI came in and stole the treasure in the middle of the night [emoji108]

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree they are just stretching out the very little actual content they have into to many episodes.

So far in this 20 episodes we have be shown.

1. Sonic mapping which showed nothing of use That evidence should have been the end of the series unless they didnt trust the results
2. The excavation of Smiths Cove which found no new structures or artifacts that had not been found before or were of no actual significance. The concrete wall was the only surprise , even though Dan documented in his 1970 dig there o finding sections of 2" steel pipe
3. The "alleged" 90ft stone. Which provided no evidence of a code. Not even a good ruse
4. Various old metal "junk" that are no significance to treasure and just shows Oak Island has been inhabited/visited by humans for a few hundred years. BINGO !
5. That there does appear to be a link between Smith Cove and the money pit area (dye test). But no effort to see where the rest of the water is coming from. I think this was manufactured , if the flood tunnels originate at sea level and the dye is poured in C1 , thats a few hundred feet difference in elevation , there wasn't enough pressure to force the dye back up to sea level and be as undiluted as it was shown on TV

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RE #5 - I believe the highest elevation on Oak Island is 36 ft above sea level.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So was pretty surprised next week episode is the last. I thought there were going to be 30... It was interesting to see Marty and the other guy agree that they had found nothing to support treasure in the early heart to heart talk with the three of them..

So another million plus dollars spent blowing up the swamp.. Should wake the frogs up!

The proof that some of the structures were built 20 or so years before 'money pit' was found does not support the KT theory. It is much more supportive of theories like J.Steele that the island was a naval stores operation (or some other industry)... I do not think many doubt that something happened at Smiths Cove pre treasure searchers...

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree its drug out for years. We watch it just to make fun of it. Now we have one of the brothers on some fake civil war hunt in lake Michigan which has been proven debunked years ago. Along with that the Yamishita's Gold buried in the Philippians of which lots has been found of the years. (could be another oak island adventure). So this leads me to just put it up for entertainment and there are MANY arm chair treasure hunters who think they know it all but never get off there butts to do anything. So, it gives them a avenue for their arm chair hobby. :-) Bottom line you gotta realize all these shows including Gold Rush etc are tv shows first. The people get paid per $$ per show to "act" like there are no cameras most of the time. If you don't think things are often scripted, well then I have the location of the fountain of youth for you.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Season 7 is a certainty now - they need way to promote the latest "search for the lost gold of X" show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread