A strong start - season 6

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh.... can you remember back to the start of season 6?

New tech... Aggressive dig plans... Hope for answers to this mystery!

Well with the season finally here next week I keep thinking "Did I get anything substantial this season?" :nono:

I know it is just a TV show but that lil kid in me that read that story way back wants answers and a treasure!
I believe we are all in this boat and the way they keep lying and throwing out so much bull it is upsetting.

Can I hang around for a season 7? I don't think so. That would be really tough to do. Not really sure what else they could peddle? We have seen so many crackpots and their wild n crazy theories that nothing else could surprise me.

Lately they have kooks that don't even explain why or how they came up with the spheel they are peddling. We are almost at the point of Big Foot, Aliens, Dragons and Magic! Not much left out there anymore. Funny as we joke about these things but they might be next years topics of conversation after a show.

I will poke around and read these threads but not too sure about the show anymore. Sad...

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The show is called "The Curse of Oak Island, not The TREASURE of Oak Island. The only treasure is what goes from corporate sponsors to Discovery's pockets. The Laginas have certainly been successful discovering every curse so the show lived up to it's title...The Curse of Oak Island. I'll still watch just as I would rubber neck near a traffic accident.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I wonder what happened to the other 8 episodes. It was announced this season was 30 episodes long. Did they make 8 more and decide that they were just rubbish or was there ever only 22 shows made?

A real Oak Island mystery for sure...

I reckon season 7 they need to bring in Scooby Doo... He can solve the mystery of the haunted island...

Scooby-Doo_and_the_Pirate_Treasure.jpg

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaked Photo.... The underwater photography did find something!

This picture was leaked...

island-monster.jpg

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It's a shame the negativity that members have here blinds them to what a success this season actually was. I guess if all you care about is treasure, you will be disappointed this season. However, if you care about getting some answers, then this season was your ticket. Contrary to what Tom seems to think, I DON'T CARE ABOUT TREASURE! I care about answers.

Sometimes, crossing off possible theories on your list, is just as important as confirming them.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, the discovery that people have been on the island building docks and working near the shore since the time of the French & Indian War, and a lot of near-surface activity since is the big finding?

Wasn't that already pretty well established? Oak Island was surveyed and divided into 32 home sites in 1762.

We did lean that Gary Drayton stammers or even vapor-locks when he tries to say the word "coin"

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
So, the discovery that people have been on the island building docks and working near the shore since the time of the French & Indian War, and a lot of near-surface activity since is the big finding?

Wasn't that already pretty well established? Oak Island was surveyed and divided into 32 home sites in 1762.

We did lean that Gary Drayton stammers or even vapor-locks when he tries to say the word "coin"
Agree.
No answers, just more bits and pieces that show previous human habitation/searchers, which is a known.
"We have yet to answer who, what, where, when and how." episode 164 Rick Lagina

(side thought that I forgot to past last week re the pathway of logs in smiths cove.....dry build boat slide. Build on land, use platform and rollers to launch.)

The 1770s aging.....I have to ask, so what? People were there. We know that. a sample of 1400s would be something, 1500s would be something.....early1600s on we know people were there.)

People didn't cut trees down unless they were going to use them. Ummmm farmers cleared land ALL the time. Yes, it would be used, but it was cut just to get out of the way.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a shame the negativity that members have here blinds them to what a success this season actually was. I guess if all you care about is treasure, you will be disappointed this season. However, if you care about getting some answers, then this season was your ticket. Contrary to what Tom seems to think, I DON'T CARE ABOUT TREASURE! I care about answers.

Sometimes, crossing off possible theories on your list, is just as important as confirming them.

Can I ask what answers you got from this season?

A lot of the stuff found in Smiths Cove has been found before... not new. Hope you have others.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I wonder what happened to the other 8 episodes. It was announced this season was 30 episodes long. Did they make 8 more and decide that they were just rubbish or was there ever only 22 shows made?

A real Oak Island mystery for sure...

I reckon season 7 they need to bring in Scooby Doo... He can solve the mystery of the haunted island...

View attachment 1703934

I would help for a Scooby Snack for sure!

Rick & Marty would have made off with millions if it wern't for those meddling kids!!! LOL :occasion14:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What Do People...Really Want To Watch On TV?...Easy...The Curse Of Oak Island!

The Curse of Oak Island Season 6.jpg

“The Curse of Oak Island” on History Channel remained at 0.7 yet again, Number 1...while “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” followed close behind with another 0.6. On USA, “Miz & Mrs.” continued to run with the 0.4 it premiered at, unlike “Deadliest Catch” on Discovery, which fell from 0.4 to 0.3 in its second week. Comedy Central’s “Tosh.0” remained at 0.3, but “Chopped” on Food Network lost one-tenth of a point and fell to 0.2. “House Hunters” on HGTV also took a tumble, falling from 0.3 to 0.2.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really answers they got in smiths cove, but more of just info to have in case it can be tied in with old or new info at some point. Most of what was found had not been seen before as far as we know. Dated the wood, which seems to pre-date the Money Pit find.. So that is good info to have really. Assuming the OI story means anything to you which for most of you who have posted on this page it means nothing at all..

For the skeptics on the who might have been there, there really is no way to prove who has been there. Regardless of what is ever found, you'll just say it was planted, or how do we know who dropped it etc etc...

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is left to do on Oak Island? Well find the treasure of course or the money pit where the treasure once was. But without the presence of gold how do you tell when you are in the money pit?. There will be no sign saying "money pit". There will be wood, and rock and dirt/mud/clay. It seems all the same down below. Sometimes you find rock and sometimes wood and sometimes dirt/mud. And of course water.

I am guessing they found the money pit already but do not know it. And how about that huge piece of leather they found which they never had analyzed/dated.

Now they want to find the drain tunnel and follow it back to the money pit. But is there even a drain tunnel now? Did they not consider that the heavy duty pad would be in the way before they blocked the path to the money pit. What was the purpose of the cofferdam anyway? To block the flow of water to the money pit so they could access it better. Why have they not made a big deal of it not blocking the water? Or did it?

The cove is fine to look at but it is not the money pit.
The swamp is okay to look at but it is not the money pit.
All those side issues discussed templars/ghosts/pirates/research/ are okay to look at but are not the money pit.
And the relics found by their metal detecting expert elsewhere are not the money pit either.

I suppose they will keep putting big cans down next year until they hit gold.

And if there is now a large debris field why have they not contacted it some and brought gold or some metal up? Shotgun approach would work well. Anywhere nearby.

I still think they should be checking the debris for little flakes of gold and I don't think they are.

What the plan for next year?

Joe.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not really answers they got in smiths cove, but more of just info to have in case it can be tied in with old or new info at some point. Most of what was found had not been seen before as far as we know. Dated the wood, which seems to pre-date the Money Pit find.. So that is good info to have really. Assuming the OI story means anything to you which for most of you who have posted on this page it means nothing at all..

For the skeptics on the who might have been there, there really is no way to prove who has been there. Regardless of what is ever found, you'll just say it was planted, or how do we know who dropped it etc etc...

Not sure if you are talking to me or the whole crowd but I have been following this story since I was a lil kid.
I do believe a lil in the tale... I do wish they would find something cool as well... I will bash at some of the BS they sling but I am not a hater as some say.

Just because they dated the logs to 15 - 30 years before the money pit story started doesn't really tell much. As others have said life had been going on the island for years and years. Does not make anything Templar or Pirate.... could be ship building, salt drying, fishing, etc...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Here are just some of the answers that I have got this season:

there is no latrine
wood cribbing from original excavations still exist
seismic readings were investigated
actual parchment was found in the pit
large stone boulders appeared to be placed and not natural
90 foot stone may have been found
the well was nothing great
there is much to still find on the surface of OI
The OI team is trying everything they can
the swamp is being crossed off the list

And then there is the Smith's cove stuff.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is why that dock was there to bring in supplies and to unload for the island back in the day and they make a big deal out of it then they set up there crane pad in the most important area hmmmm. The same thing goes on in San Francisco they buried whole ship and once in awhile they dig one up when they are expanding out in to the bay.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and when they find the old ships it makes front page news. It's a big deal and is investigated by archaeologists. Just saw one found some where last week or so...
No one is saying the wood stuff found in smiths cove is from who ever dug the money pit, but until something was found that pre-dated the pit it made it easier for the skeptics to call the whole story a hoax.. Atleast now it is a proven fact people were there in or before the money pit era....and some of it could have been by whoever dug the pit. Who knows and that is exactly why they are searching to try to piece things together... Now we know what is there to some extent and about how old it is.. What some of it was for, we'll never know probably...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How Close To The Freemason's Construction Time Period..Mid 18th Century..Can You Get?

Smith Cove's Wood...1769?
Coins...18th Century?
Buttons...18th Century?
Pottery...18th Century?
Metal...18th Century?

Forget the Depositors being...Aztecs...Vikings...Knights Templar...French...Portuguese...Spanish...It was the...Freemasons!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think other folks used wood, metal and crockery in the 18th century.

But that's just a guess.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My Theory...Has Freemasons selecting only their appointed land owners on the initial sale of 1762.

Such as...Dr Jonathan Prescott...a Master Mason with no other need to own property on Oak Island other than to secure the Treasure, until its removal in 1783.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your reply, not bashing you but offering up my thoughts on your items.

there is no latrine - I think only Dan was thinking of a latrine hundreds of feet underground.. not worth looking into. Ancient turds? Really? Waste of time...

wood cribbing from original excavations still exist - 40+ documented searches are on the books... gonna be TONS of wood underground in the MP area.

seismic readings were investigated - looks to be a waste of time and money as it didn't really show anything... they spouted out this is a void, this could be cavern, this could be a vault but it was nothing more than sand.

actual parchment was found in the pit - paper, bones, pottery and just about anything found in the MP area doesn't prove much of anything except that people were in the MP area. With 40+ search endeavors over 200+ years I would expect to find TONS of items like these.

large stone boulders appeared to be placed and not natural - Could be something could also mean nothing. Lots of people on the island over the years.... markers, graves, worship stones, Nolan moving them to help his cause... many possibilities.

90 foot stone may have been found - That was such a fake you really cant believe it.... can you? They moved it with a finger, was not close to the correct size and there were no marking on it except the two in the corner. I will not buy into it being the stone.

the well was nothing great - Surprise, surprise... I didn't think anything would be there.. maybe they were hoping for a bone? **The island to throw them a bone**

there is much to still find on the surface of OI - Yes, for sure! Hundreds of years of people living there... should be ton of stuff to find. Will take forever with Gary doing it all by himself.

The OI team is trying everything they can
- This I will give them kudos on... they are trying some neat things... the season started with some exciting tech... the loonies and crackpot theories are a bit out there but they gotta fill air time I guess.

the swamp is being crossed off the list
- Is it? Can it be? Without dredging down like they are doing in Smiths Cove, you really can't cross it off... Plus Rick will never cross anything off the list.

And then there is the Smith's cove stuff - This started out to be really cool but then I started digging into it and found references to a bunch of the "new" finds all the way back to 1930-40 range. I posted in a thread somewhere so they are not as neat or a big deal as they are making them out to be in my mind.

Once again, not dissing you but offering up my thoughts. I am not a hater of the island, the show or the bros... I like discussing this stuff and I am a so so, 50/50 believer of something being buried on the island.

I do not need someone to prove this or disprove that.... those post are getting old and hampering the discussions we use to have on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread