A tiny Friley and another neat little point.

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Deer season has finally come to a close here and its time to again hit the woods. I went on a dig saturday and found several things including a hammerstone. These two points were the best of the trip. The Friley is really nice and about as small as I have found. The other point is small, but I believe it to be late paleo or early archaic. Most all found with it was San Patrice and it does have a thinned and ground base.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• friley10.jpg
    friley10.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 512
  • friley110.jpg
    friley110.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds!! I havent been able to go since duck season started but that ends this weekend. Maybe I will be able to start looking again in a week or two...d2

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hey Atlantis, How ya been? Nice finds there, thats probably the smallest friley I've ever seen. The other point does look San Patrice related, makes you wonder. Its sure been cold up there lately, but I guess it makes your digging easier. Good luck, and keep em coming. Josh

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Hey Josh....still checking out the lakeshore? Great place to find points the easy way. Yes, way cold for here, but last week was a little better. Supposed to get cold again this weekend. Our problem digging right now is rain...it has been REALLY wet so far this winter and when you dig more than a foot or so deep you are in mud and that is really hard to find points in. Got a couple of new people I am hunting with this year with a bunch more private land to scope out. With any luck at all I should be finding some good stuff pretty soon....if not I will have fun looking.

Hope you have been finding some good stuff. Lots of pipelines around here now with the new gas field....I keep hearing rumors of people finding a good many points washed up in those. Turn some dirt!!

Atlantis

K

Keokukjeff

Nice finds................
The San Patrice is the Keithville type...............
I found a classic Hope type San Patrice last year,...................
My 1st San Patrice find....!!

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Jeff,

Love the San Pats. I was leaning toward St Johns on that one, the base just didnt have much curve. First point I ever found was a San Pat and they have always been my favorite. I probably have 300 or so of them across the board. Hope is the prettiest and Geneill the rarest here. Here is a frame with a few.....and a loner I found a year or so ago that is practically perfect in every way. Not the biggest points, but they are really nice.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• Paleo1.jpg
    Paleo1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 983
  • creek 008.jpg
    creek 008.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 483
  • creek 008.jpg
    creek 008.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 432
  • Paleo1.jpg
    Paleo1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 736

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice to see you posting again. I always liked seeing the stuff you came up with. That first point is really neat. I really like that form.
Chuck

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Thanks Ohio,

I am in an out lately, but now that deer season has come to a close I can spend more time in the woods. I normally shut down from October to January. In Louisiana its a bit suicidal to spend much time in the woods digging during deer season...lol.

The first point is a Friley. The pics you find on the net do NOT do this point justice. I have seen some exquisite Frileys. They are normally well flaked and can be exceedingly thin. Its rare to find one that isnt damaged in some fashion....tip wing base.....the wings on a friley always point forward in sort of a trident fashion....a similar point to it is called a Fox Valley. Some specimens are up to 1.5" or so in length...the longer and thinner, the less likely they will be undamaged.

Happy Huntin,

Atlantis

K

Keokukjeff

Very nice frame................
I was suprised to have found this one after hunting 25 years
My 1st San Patrice..............what makes me happy about is I have another *classic type* that IS the same time period as Dalton but not a Dalton!
Thats saying alot for me.....................and I have found Daltons at the same area,,
When the Lake goes down that place might end up turning out some good stuff................
000_2502.jpg

000_2499.jpg

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Frileys. I am fortunate to have a few of those, also a couple San Pats.
Real nice finds.

Molly.

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I am convinced that the same folks made the Daltons and San Patrice...flaking and stying is too similar. Though its only an indicator, in my area, any place I have found Daltons, I have also found San Patrice and vise versa.

The problem with many of the paleo/early archaic points is they tend to be isolated. Now and then you run up on a paleo site, and they are quite welcome, but more often than not, you find that solitary paleo point on a hillside, get all excited...spend a week looking and not find anything else. ??? Washouts are the best place to find them, that and lakeshore....stone tends to settle out in certain spots where the points from a large area geographically condense in a small one. Sure beats digging an acre. ;D

Here is a frame with some odds n ends....a few palmwood points in there, including a small drill that looks like a leopard.

HH,

Atlantis

Attachments

• christmas 002.jpg
    christmas 002.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 356
OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Yes, as a matter of fact a friend of mine found a couple of those where these points came from. I normally find the albany spokeshaves in my San Patrice grounds. The first of them I found many years ago and I thought they were broken arrowheads. Dr. Clarence Webb told me what I had and gave me a small pamphlet he had written on "unusual chipped stone implements" which described the various types of spokeshaves found in my area. Here are a couple I found some time back.

Attachments

• albany 001.jpg
    albany 001.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 269
  • albany.jpg
    albany.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 253
  • albany 001.jpg
    albany 001.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 240
  • albany.jpg
    albany.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 250

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas
Thanks for showing those.I only find a few Albanys up here.I once had a buddy that was telling me about some unfinished Big Sandys he was finding.There's no telling how many people think that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread