Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A morning hunt at an old Baltimore park.....

Started this hunt today around 7:30 and the first four targets were good sounding metal, mostly rusted iron. Many square nails and pieces were dug today. The 5th dig produced a Buffalo nickel. A 1937 Mercury dime followed and then there was a bit of a drought. This was broken by a hole yielding an IHP; but wait, there was another signal in that hole. Thought I had it when I pulled out half a square nail, but then I saw another coin lying in the hole and it turned out to be another IHP. As you see in the pic, these are both from the 1870s. Not long afterwards, I dug another nickel and saw immediately that it was a shield variety. This one has rays between the stars and though the date is unreadable, my U.S. coin book tells me it is either 1866 or 1867. I stopped and took a break to speak with another detectorist, George, who had arrived 45 minutes earlier and that was an unexpected treat. Turns out this gentleman is one of our local Baltimoreans who was detecting these old parks in the 70s and 80s. He had some stories to tell of finds at Druid, Patterson and Carroll parks and I shared a few of mine own. We said our good-byes and I was back to the search and found yet one more coin spill before the hunt ended. Dug a 1916 wheat and found there was another target in the hole; this turned out to be a V nickel, completing my nickel trifecta for the day. Awesome hunt.

Finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to be extraordinary finding all those goodies.........and they came in pairs!!! Great hunt..........:thumbsup:
Getting to chat with that seasoned mder had to be a bonus, too.......he probably had a lot of good info for you.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice trifecta. Ive had the v, buff, war trifecta hunt once. I hardly ever find three silvers in a hunt so dime trifecta not even on my radar

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Chizzy! That he did. Told me where the Civil War hospital was located at Patterson park and of the War of 1812 finds he made at that park. He also shared where he'd found some large cents at Druid Hill park. Mostly we enjoyed sharing our experiences of the hobby.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks toasted! Speaking of, all three of the nickels today were just that..."toasted". At the park in the south end of the city, Buffs come out looking decent.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! As you see, no clad in the hunt today. The area I was detecting is pretty much older targets mixed in with nails and modern trash.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks toasted! Speaking of, all three of the nickels today were just that..."toasted". At the park in the south end of the city, Buffs come out looking decent.

You should see some of the shield and v nickels from my seated field. Yours look decent compared to those. Im so tired of digging toasted nickels and coppers. I just want to see the shiny in the hole

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds vary tasty. Not the toasty nicks, but a "seated" field!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the trifecta and coin spills. It's a Awesome feeling when you pull a good target out of a hole and still have a good hit saying there's more. Coin spills are the best...

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds vary tasty. Not the toasty nicks, but a "seated" field!

It was a blast while it lasted. Now all you hear out there is all the iron

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow McCDig, awesome trifecta. :notworthy: I know where I'd be swinging the coil. 7 quality coins in a hunt isn't any every day occurrence for me. Congrats on pulling those finds and enjoying some fellowship with another one of us, telling dirt fishing stories. :icon_thumleft:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs love the shield nickel have only found one

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Wow McCDig, awesome trifecta. :notworthy: I know where I'd be swinging the coil. 7 quality coins in a hunt isn't any every day occurrence for me. Congrats on pulling those finds and enjoying some fellowship with another one of us, telling dirt fishing stories. :icon_thumleft:
Or me either!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, Iv'e heard some wild story's from some 20 plus year treasure hunters.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! Congrats on all the great finds! Love that shield nickel, don't see them come up very often.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sooper Dave! The rays on the nickel were almost as good as a date. Don't believe I've dug a shield that had a readable date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions