Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A morning hunt at an old Baltimore park.....

Started this hunt today around 7:30 and the first four targets were good sounding metal, mostly rusted iron. Many square nails and pieces were dug today. The 5th dig produced a Buffalo nickel. A 1937 Mercury dime followed and then there was a bit of a drought. This was broken by a hole yielding an IHP; but wait, there was another signal in that hole. Thought I had it when I pulled out half a square nail, but then I saw another coin lying in the hole and it turned out to be another IHP. As you see in the pic, these are both from the 1870s. Not long afterwards, I dug another nickel and saw immediately that it was a shield variety. This one has rays between the stars and though the date is unreadable, my U.S. coin book tells me it is either 1866 or 1867. I stopped and took a break to speak with another detectorist, George, who had arrived 45 minutes earlier and that was an unexpected treat. Turns out this gentleman is one of our local Baltimoreans who was detecting these old parks in the 70s and 80s. He had some stories to tell of finds at Druid, Patterson and Carroll parks and I shared a few of mine own. We said our good-byes and I was back to the search and found yet one more coin spill before the hunt ended. Dug a 1916 wheat and found there was another target in the hole; this turned out to be a V nickel, completing my nickel trifecta for the day. Awesome hunt.

Finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Weather was decent and we had a lot of rain the evening before. That certainly helped.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks tomhighland! Another rewarding park hunt. Let's see what the next one brings.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks deershed! Agreed. This is an area I've been over before, but I was gridding it yesterday. I think there's more yet.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D! Interesting how I gave up on this park a couple years ago. There are some trashy areas where it's very challenging to detect, but this area is better. Think I'll go back soon, like you said.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done! I should have looked extra hard for Jefferson nickel... then you would have had them all!

CONGRATS!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tuberale! The 8th keeper for me from that hunt was the clay marble. It showed up in a trash hole. That's usually how I find marbles.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to know that those self same parks that I hunted back in the 70's are still producing and that I'm not alone
in being able to still say that! ;)

You had a fine day!

One story I can give you about Patterson. I got out of the car and tried to tune in my detector. No matter where I put the loop
down, it just wouldn't tune! I said, "Damn! SOOO much trash!!!!"

So, I dug a small area to clean it for tuning. They were ALL wheaties!!!! Must've been 100 in a small area!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds and the nickel trifecta! Awesome!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Carolina Tom! Don't think I've ever had a quad. Patterson Park here is the place that could happen; it has the right mix of old and new.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Whadifind! Really appreciate that story of Patterson Park. I was in Home Depot at Shrewsbury, PA and the gentleman at the paint counter grew up in Highlandtown, started working at the young age of 8 washing marble steps for a quarter a step.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Msbeepbeep! Dates hard to find on them all. Looks like the V may be 1902 and the Buff '35 or '36. Happy Hunting! May get back there early AM Friday.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest IH Cent in an 1879 but yours is way nicer. Congrats on a great hunt.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks J.Cache! That's a good year to have. Congrats and Happy Hunting up North!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Whadifind! Really appreciate that story of Patterson Park. I was in Home Depot at Shrewsbury, PA and the gentleman at the paint counter grew up in Highlandtown, started working at the young age of 8 washing marble steps for a quarter a step.

Ah yes, remember them well. I was born just a few blocks from Patterson. Probably found some of my own pennies. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread