A Very Early Mexican Cob - When Did Mexico City Mint Actually Originate?

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
I reviewed this very early cob recently...my library has very little information on these early coins. It was my understanding that the Mexico City mint was established in 1535, first coins in 1536. I have never seen one this early, but claims are that this coin was minted in Mexico City about twenty to thirty years earlier.... does anyone have an explanation? This coin is from a very reliable source and is authentic. The description I can give you is :

CAROLVS ET IOHANA, (1506-1516). 4 Reales Mexico - O
Composition: Silver. Weight: 13,60 gr. Diameter: 30 mm. (pictured below)

Think I figured this one out somewhat: Going back to the days of Columbus, King Ferdinand (King of Aragon) and Queen Isabella had a child named Juana (IOHANA). She became Queen in name only (being considered insane), at the death of Ferdinand in 1516. Her power was presumably shared with, but in reality assumed by, her eldest son Charles (CAROLVS), born in 1500..thus Charles or Carlos and Juana (CAROLVS ET IOHANA) (The lineage was from Frank Sedwick and from Spain in my dialogue and summations). Amazing to think that this coin could have been held by Columbus. I still don't understand when the Mexican mint was actually founded do you?.......

goldcoastwayne

Attachments

• 1506 shield (in hand).jpg
    1506 shield (in hand).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 1506 Pillars (in hand).jpg
    1506 Pillars (in hand).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 1506 shield (in hand).jpg
    1506 shield (in hand).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 819
  • 1506 Pillars (in hand).jpg
    1506 Pillars (in hand).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 809
OP
OP
goldcoastwayne

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Mackaydon said:
La Casa de Moneda de México is the national mint of Mexico and the oldest mint in the Americas, established in 1535. Your coin is similar to this one:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotvi...Lot=1957&Val=d733eaf6eecacec9d898a4e80b4f14ed

Minted during the period 1538 to 1540.
Don.....

Don...thanks for the great explanation and a view of a past auction!! That really makes sense since King Ferdinand lived till 1516....You and a few others here never cease to amaze me with your knowledge!

Thanks,

Wayne

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The first distinctive coins minted for Spanish America were copper 4-maravedí pieces authorized for Santo Domingo by Ferdinand on December 20, 1505 (later confirmed by his daughter, Johanna, on May 10, 1531). These coins were minted in Spain (at Burgos and Seville) and shipped to Santo Domingo (Hispaniola), and subsequently also to Mexico and Panama. The first were struck 1502-1504 in the name of Ferdinand and Isabella, with an F-I monogram obverse and pillars reverse. Ferdinand died in 1516, and Johanna's son Charles became King Carlos I of Aragon and Regent of Castille, so the last coppers struck in the early 1520s had a Carlos-Johanna monogram.

Don.....
Source: Wiki

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Wayne, you might consider adding this to your collection....

Description from sunkentreasurebooks.com....

Nesmith, Robert I.
The Coinage of the First Mint of the Americas at Mexico City 1536-1572
Comments: Illustrated
Size: 6” x 9”
Pages: 139
Editions: The first edition (not stated) was published by the American Numismatic Society, New York City (1955) in paperback. It is the ANS's “Numismatic Notes and Monographs No. 131.” A second impression was published by Quarterman Publications, Inc., Lawrence, Massachusetts (1977) in hardback with a dust jacket. The book is now available as a reprographic reprint in a paperback or hardback edition.
Description: This book provides an overview of the Spanish history establishing the mint at Mexico City, the administration of it, the technology utilized, and details the silver and copper coins minted there between 1536 and 1572. The author was the owner of Foul Anchor Archives, a Rye, New York bookstore dedicated to treasure hunting books, and a noted scholar on Spanish American cobs.

OP
OP
goldcoastwayne

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
DiveWrecks said:
Wayne, you might consider adding this to your collection....

Description from sunkentreasurebooks.com....

Nesmith, Robert I.
The Coinage of the First Mint of the Americas at Mexico City 1536-1572
Comments: Illustrated
Size: 6” x 9”
Pages: 139
Editions: The first edition (not stated) was published by the American Numismatic Society, New York City (1955) in paperback. It is the ANS's “Numismatic Notes and Monographs No. 131.” A second impression was published by Quarterman Publications, Inc., Lawrence, Massachusetts (1977) in hardback with a dust jacket. The book is now available as a reprographic reprint in a paperback or hardback edition.
Description: This book provides an overview of the Spanish history establishing the mint at Mexico City, the administration of it, the technology utilized, and details the silver and copper coins minted there between 1536 and 1572. The author was the owner of Foul Anchor Archives, a Rye, New York bookstore dedicated to treasure hunting books, and a noted scholar on Spanish American cobs.

Stan,

Thanks for the great advice you have provided myself and all the readers. I will certainly look into acquiring this book...seems like a great book on these early coins. Realistically, I wonder how many of these early coins are around and ever come to auction? I really appreciate your advice and everyone that contributes to these cob threads. A huge amount of knowledge can be acquired just reading these posts.

Wayne

OP
OP
goldcoastwayne

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Here are some pictures of an MS-62 example, but a few years later than the one above. It just sold a few days ago on ebay....an unbelievable coin that looks like it was made yesterday...it sold for $1980... a great deal when you consider the condition and rarity...likely the finest example known.

goldcoastwayne

Attachments

• 4 R - pillars MS62.jpg
    4 R - pillars MS62.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 667
  • shield MS 62.jpg
    shield MS 62.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 668
  • pillar 3 ms62.jpg
    pillar 3 ms62.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 725
  • shield closeup ms62.jpg