A wandering nomads gold adventure

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A wandering nomad's gold adventure

Been very fortunate to have the opportunity to travel & prospect this year. Always enjoy reading stories, advice, history lessons, videos, pictures, etc from you all, especially those from different regions. Regardless of where we call home, we all share a common bond. Running into a fellow prospector is like meeting an old friend, the kind of friend it doesn't matter how long its been since you've seen them, the conversation, shop talk and brotherly banter just flows with out effort. Inspired by this brotherhood without boundaries, setting out on an adventure to prospect 12 states in 12 months. Hopefully meet up with some of you along the way.

I don't think i'll ever have one of those cool display cases of huge nuggets and massive gold takes so I thought it'd be cool to collect gold from around the country and hopefully have some stories to go along with each of them.
photo.JPG

January: California
February: Virginia
March: Vermont
April: North Carolina (coming soon)

Cheers,
George from CT

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool to look at it that way, i feel the same!great gold!

MikeBike

Greenie
Mar 12, 2014
Albemarle N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed to URE?

Great plan, you'll surely have plenty of stories to tell in the end.:thumbsup:
If you're headed to my neck of the woods in NC, let me know, I'd like to help anyway I can.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George,

What a great adventure. No matter how much gold you find. Best of luck on your travels. Keep us all posted.

Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd love to help you get a CO sample if you get to Denver!

OP
OP
Ct98023

Ct98023

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
April update: Made it down to North Carolina to add some NC gold to the collection.
Took a new job (boo corporate world), or should I say decided to enter back into the working world to raise some funds. After interviewing I learned I would have to travel to NC for two weeks of training and after confirming that Uwharrie was only 2 hours from where the training was to take place... I accepted their offer.
Arrived in Raleigh and made way to meet hotel shuttle. Standing there with my tattered well used pack, shovel, BGT, a few of my soon to be fellow colleagues asked what all my stuff was. I replied, "I'm here to prospect for gold". They replied, dressed in their nice business casual garbs, laptop bags and designer luggage, "My husband likes those shows. We are here for our new job training. We manage clinical drug studies". Imagine the look on their faces when I walked into the office training room the next morning, my new role being their manager. Side note, I joke but I always try and be a good ambassador to prospectors everywhere. I was even able to convert one of the ladies in my class, who radiated a bizarre mixed scent of pachouli, prius exhaust and that weird whole foods smell to taking an interest in what we do. She thought it would be a great activity for her son. Who probably is uber goth, black painted nails and all aka marilyn manson but I'll take it as a small victory.
Back to the gold...
Uwharrie is a great place to prospect with ample access via forestry roads and a friendly community of prospectors. Thanks to the guidance of these same folks here and elsewhere online I had selected Big creek for Saturday and Moccasin creek for Sunday. Big creek was loaded with angular slate that made for some tricky digging but I found that my 'f it just flip and dig' technique worked pretty well. This is my very academic technique where I carefully study the river, calculate the fluid dynamics, factoring in the impact of migratory monarch butterfly wing generated air currents, ...... then just say eff it and flip over a big rock in the middle of the river and dig deep. Ehh, someday I'll figure it out but for now old lady luck seems to work best for me.
I am finding actually that traveling around to all these areas and getting gold is a challenge. Every local has it's own little secret to crack. The locals have figured it out but I am just a passing guest hoping to borrow some wisdom and expand my learning. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Lots and lots of nice small gold to be found and thankfully I was able to pull some for my ongoing collection. Had a great time, passed a few fellow prospectors all of which offered a smile and wave, grateful for the opportunity.
Here is Big Creek, Uwharrie NF
photo.JPG
Here is Moccasin Creek. Note big a** rock flipped up in middle of creek.
photo.JPG
And here is the gold from first four months of this state to state adventure! (Updated w/ NC. VT and NH trips are also included but my fingers are tired and Ive babbled long enough)
photo.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread