A well aged find from the BC interior region.

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have learned over the years to keep locations of good finds secret as possible and always have "pull tabs and pennies" on the tip of my tongue just in case someone walks by and asks 'the question'
Was detecting a half frozen mudflat this weekend and noticed a young mother with her two boys and pup glancing over every now and then from a ways away as i was searching around some old features within short walking distance of shore.
Dug a few trashy targets while working my way back to shore when i noticed they were getting closer and were no longer poking in the mud and looking around. I knew they were going to walk up and start a conversation, so quickly knelt down to investigate a target i was sure was a pull tab just in case they were still watching, but before i had my pin pointer out the mother asked, from a step or two away, what i had been finding so replied "oh just pull tabs and pennies" as i located target and started to dig it out..
Was kind of surprized to pluck a small round object from the mud as they were all closely watching and guessed/asked "another penny?" though did not reply fast enough before the detail was visible and accidentally mumbled "silver? i'm not sure'' before realizing the gig was up.
They were almost as surprized as i was to see and hold a coin over 150 years old, specially since it was dug right at their feet and on a shoreline they had, I imagine, walked many times before.
Turned out to be the find of the weekend and even though is not really a rare or valuable find is one i can say i'm happy to scratch off of the bucket list.:)
shieldnic.JPG
sheild.JPG

1867 Shield nickel.
Cheers and happy hunting all! :occasion14:

Attachments

• sheild.JPG
    sheild.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 50
  • shieldnic.JPG
    shieldnic.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Upvote 42

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have learned over the years to keep locations of good finds secret as possible and always have "pull tabs and pennies" on the tip of my tongue just in case someone walks by and asks 'the question'
Was detecting a half frozen mudflat this weekend and noticed a young mother with her two boys and pup glancing over every now and then from a ways away as i was searching around some old features within short walking distance of shore.
Dug a few trashy targets while working my way back to shore when i noticed they were getting closer and were no longer poking in the mud and looking around. I knew they were going to walk up and start a conversation, so quickly knelt down to investigate a target i was sure was a pull tab just in case they were still watching, but before i had my pin pointer out the mother asked, from a step or two away, what i had been finding so replied "oh just pull tabs and pennies" as i located target and started to dig it out..
Was kind of surprized to pluck a small round object from the mud as they were all closely watching and guessed/asked "another penny?" though did not reply fast enough before the detail was visible and accidentally mumbled "silver? i'm not sure'' before realizing the gig was up.
They were almost as surprized as i was to see and hold a coin over 150 years old, specially since it was dug right at their feet and on a shoreline they had, I imagine, walked many times before.
Turned out to be the find of the weekend and even though is not really a rare or valuable find is one i can say i'm happy to scratch off of the bucket list.:) View attachment 2133755 View attachment 2133756
1867 Shield nickel.
Cheers and happy hunting all! :occasion14:
Looks great!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was a very wise saying on Vancouver Island.
If find a bone in the garden, bury it a keep the mouth shut.
The paint brush/trowel folks will come in and and the owner has to pay.
This can be $10s of thousands.
There's over 60 thousand sites, and a person doesn't know till the permit is applied for.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a very wise saying on Vancouver Island.
If find a bone in the garden, bury it a keep the mouth shut.
The paint brush/trowel folks will come in and and the owner has to pay.
This can be $10s of thousands.
There's over 60 thousand sites, and a person doesn't know till the permit is applied for.
Definitely see why anyone who might find any artifacts would want to keep it very quiet with those dollar amounts! Remember hearing/reading of a few homeowners having to pay exorbitant amounts to the Province for private archaeologist digs on their property because of unqualified personnel in field after reporting finds or finds were reported by others. Also remember one instance where the Province was made to pay through judicial process, but there are still many property owners being affected.
https://www.bcrea.bc.ca/legally-speaking/beware-of-heritage-or-archaeological-issues-564/

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely see why anyone who might find any artifacts would want to keep it very quiet with those dollar amounts! Remember hearing/reading of a few homeowners having to pay exorbitant amounts to the Province for private archaeologist digs on their property because of unqualified personnel in field after reporting finds or finds were reported by others. Also remember one instance where the Province was made to pay through judicial process, but there are still many property owners being affected.
https://www.bcrea.bc.ca/legally-speaking/beware-of-heritage-or-archaeological-issues-564/

I remember the story of the family that bought the property in Soda Creek. To have everything basically in place till the power hook up and they use their own mapping system which put a hold on the property.

This whole thing about having to hire an archaeologist to investigate if the property has designation or not seems like a cash grab in some ways.
Just another reason the province has lost much of its appeal over the decades.

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
If that coin was a "Pattern Reverse" you could have given up your day job for a couple of months. You had two of the three requirements: Date and Without Rays; only missing the placement of one of the stars over CENTS.
Still a great find.
Don in SoCal
Thanks for the response. This is a silver dollar coin. Pattern coins are quite rare no matter what they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread