A whole bunch of little stuff for one price.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I was on the way home from a job that I did today and it was almost dark, and I noticed a yard sale that was open at almost dark on friday evening. Weird. I stopped and looked. There was a case full of different neat stuff, some looked like silver, some like gold, and some obviously old stuff. Some is military, some is masonic I think, some is union related, and I found that the Nash 50 year pin is supposed to be 10k gold with a diamond. I saw one sold on ebay for more than I paid for the lot http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nas...180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415d4aa4cc . I also found a silver love token in the lot. Any info as to it's value? The ones I found on ebay have decoration on one side, but not both like this one. If anyone sees something they recognize or know to have value, please point it out! Thanks!

Attachments

• 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 803
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 792
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 826
  • 161.jpg
    161.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 867
  • 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 859
  • 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 854
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 885
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 868
more:

Attachments

• 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 887
  • 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 871
  • 165.jpg
    165.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 890
  • 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 877
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 889
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 885
  • 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 881
  • 164.jpg
    164.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 892
  • 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 874
  • 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 888
  • 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 883
  • 171.jpg
    171.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 876
I paid $55.00. Also, the world's fair spoon says gold on the back and has what looks like 3 bars in a stack. I can't imagine it really is gold, but have you ever seen that kind of mark? Maybe it means gold filled?

There looks like a photo pin in the third photo up from the bottom (1st post). That looks interesting... Do you have a silver/gold acid test kit? Check the backs and pins closely with a loop for any gold or silver marks. I love going through this kind of lot! Have fun and good luck!!

Quick reply, it's been one of those days.
Fun box of stuff! I'm in love with the old ?watch fob? initials BI or IB.
WOW should = Woodmen of the World
4-H pins, two Girl Scout pins, trefoil next to them is not BSA I'm pretty sure. My sister wonders if silver star shaped one to left with C in it may be Cadette Girl Scout pin????
copper ?Thunderbird? is neat!
IKE tie tac - check presidential memorabilia
is that silver box near the cool owl letter opener real silver?
Empire state building or Sears Tower charm probably real silver
Isnt that St Christopher (pin?) cool! I've only seen the small medals - look at all the ways to travel shown on that pin!!!
Thanks for sharing - its fun to see all the stuff!
Tigger

You'll make more than your money back selling that stuff, you got some sweet items there.
Research it all, the World's Fair stuff is highly collectible, and that Roy Rogers pin could be real nice.
Hell you made your money on just the small silver and gold.
Carl

Thanks for the IDs! The tiger in the moon is cool... both are pins. One is a screw-back pin, and the other was a screwback, but the post broke off and someone soldered on a latch-type pin. Sodabottlebob IDed them in the "what is it" forum as Dramatic Order Knights of Khorassan or D.O.K.K. pins. I think I'll pull out the silver, gold, and a few of the better pieces and sell the rest in a lot. Do these pins ever come in un-marked gold? Some really look like gold but don't say anything. I suppose they could be plated. One looks like gold but says sterling on the back. The nash pin doesn't say it's gold, but the one I found online is advertised as 10k gold with a diamond.

The tiger in the moon is cool... both are pins. One is a screw-back pin, and the other was a screwback, but the post broke off and someone soldered on a latch-type pin. Sodabottlebob IDed them in the "what is it" forum as Dramatic Order Knights of Khorassan or D.O.K.K. pins. That's what happens when I work all weekend, I lose track of what's going on around here! :laughing7: :laughing7:

ibew is union international brotherhood of electrical workers i used to work at a hydro coal power plant in iatan mo called iatan power plant ibew was everywhere there were a few portly ibews that staked out there own parking spot with t post piece of wood and a big ibew parking only sticker ;D

index.php

The Multi-Colored ribbin in the upper right hand side is the National Service defense ribbon I believe. You get this ribbon once you graduate from Army Boot Camp.

The four Label pins that have the chevrons on them appear to be rank insignia worn on dress "Blues". The shield with the stars
on the bottom could possibly be the Battalion/Regiment/Unit served in and were always worn on class "A" uniforms in the
Army.

That is my .02 of guessing, Military paraphanelia is always collectible but the National Service Ribbon has probably been issued to more people than then the minted amount of the 1963 US Franklin Half Dollar.... :laughing7:

I wanted to mention that the two vintage Bus pins look to be 1940's to 1950's at the latest. It looks like the one is a National Trailways bus and I think the other is a Continental Trailways bus. They will fetch a minimum of $20 a piece if you list (key words) them right and make a positive ID on the bus line. There is a demand for them and they are much harder to find than the vintage Greyhound pins.
Someone else mentioned the Roy Rogers pin. The Roy Rogers pin is a good score as long as it's not a repro. I've seen "Sears corral" pins but never a "Belk Corral", that could be a good thing, the rarer the better. If you've handled very many vintage pinbacks you could tell if it was an original or a repro pretty quick, based on the overall construction, weight, look, and feel of the thing. I'm not sure if Roy Rogers pins have any makers marks on them anywhere, some pins do, some do not. This is why I brought up being able to tell an original from a repro based on handling experience. The "sears corral" pin has sold for $40-$50+ in the past.

Thank you diggumup!!! I was wondering what the bus lines might be. I saw a greyhound pin sell for good money on ebay, but I couldn't make any identification of the logo on the one bus that has a logo. The other doesn't appear to have a logo, or do you see an identifying feature? The Roy Rogers pin is real I'm sure. The belk's store is still here in this town and the lady said it came from there when a pair of jeans was purchased from there back in the day. I know what the modern pins look and feel like, and this one has a more "steel" look and feel to it, for lack of a better word. It has a heavier feel and doesn't sound tinny like the modern ones do. It also has a greyish dull metal color instead of the shiny tin color of the new pins. The back doesn't have any kind of safety either like the new ones... just a stick pin. This lady also had boxes of old photographs, novelty stuff like war ration stamps, old road maps, Raleigh tobacco coupons, glassware, silver dishes, letters from soldiers to home marked "V mail", old books, too much to list. It was almost dark and I had dinner plans, so I couldn't look through it all. :dontknow:

I bought some similar stuff from there before. I got a sterling butter knife for $1, a locket that I think is gold for $1 I think, a whole box of old gas station road maps from the '40s and up, photos and postcards, a gas ration sticker for the car's windshield, a scrimshaw ship on whale ivory, an old toy or two, etc...

cheese said:
Thank you diggumup!!! I was wondering what the bus lines might be. I saw a greyhound pin sell for good money on ebay, but I couldn't make any identification of the logo on the one bus that has a logo. The other doesn't appear to have a logo, or do you see an identifying feature?
If you look closely at your red and yellow bus, it has the same U.S. map logo towards the rear of the bus. Here are a couple photos for reference-

TRAILWAYS.gifnational trailways.jpg168.jpg

Granted they aren't as accurate as the photos i've provided but I think the logos are the same as far as what bus line they are from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back