jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a church rummage sale and headed immediately to the jewelry section and started browsing. A woman saw me looking and tells me "you won't find any 14k gold here because I know jewelry". I basically ignored her and just kept looking. I spotted 2 boxes of misc jewelry and immediately the glimmer of gold caught my eye as I picked up a small gold earring. I then looked in the other box and found its mate. I asked the same woman how much for the pair? $2. 1.7 grams of 14K stamped on the underside of the ear pin.

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,047

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
My 14k marked find today came up fake failed the mag test . Would of been nice to have gotten a nice 14k neckless almost a full oz in gold and not junky plated or fake stuff . Oh well . But congrad on the ear rings everyone alway over looks them at sales and markets .

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
I always look anyway.

I was going threw a box at a garage sale that said ''silver plate whole box $20" The guy says, there nothing good in there, his buddy looked already. I already saw a sterling lid in there so told him, Well if there is nothing good in there I'll give you $10. He said OK, When I got home I checked the rest. There was 2 sterling bowls and the lid was over 300gr. Some cool plated pieces too.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Maggot said:
I always look anyway.

I was going threw a box at a garage sale that said ''silver plate whole box $20" The guy says, there nothing good in there, his buddy looked already. I already saw a sterling lid in there so told him, Well if there is nothing good in there I'll give you $10. He said OK, When I got home I checked the rest. There was 2 sterling bowls and the lid was over 300gr. Some cool plated pieces too.

Agreed. This is another "garage sale secret". Assorted silver plated lots often have sterling mixed in either accidentally or people just don't know what they have.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseyben said:
Maggot said:
I always look anyway.

Agreed. This is another "garage sale secret". Assorted silver plated lots often have sterling mixed in either accidentally or people just don't know what they have.
this just happened at flea market guy said that is all plated..I said plated is kool..what he didn't know was I found 3 sterling handle butter knives an got them all for 50cents

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, some folks just don't know :wink:

Bought a bag of employee year/appreciation pins. Marked 10K and tested as such and all the stones were
real gems, small but real Ruby's, Diamond's and Emerald's.

Older military qualification and other badges are Sterling.

Love to find that stuff.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
this just happened at flea market guy said that is all plated..I said plated is kool..what he didn't know was I found 3 sterling handle butter knives an got them all for 50cents
Had the opposite happen. Lady said her whole set was sterling (tray, gravy, sugar, creamer) and wanted hundreds. I looked everything said EPNS. I told her what that meant and she didn't believe me. Bet she still has that set. :icon_pirat:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Agreed! Some of my best finds came from checking over the "costume jewelry" and "plated" dinnerware. If they say there are no PM's, agree with them and say you're looking for the manufacturer's name.
Treasure does turn up this way. I had a nice string of beginner's luck in 2010, but in 2011 I worked for my finds. I learned to diversify away from just PM's; there's lots of treasure out there. My biggest strike was in latex, where a vintage enema kit sold for 49X my $5 investment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread