A "Woodpecker" relic.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
A very rare "Woodpecker" relic.

The recent woodpecker thread reminded me of this - another new addition to the museum. Woodpecker effigy axe. Found at the central (Craig) mound at Spiro, Oklahoma (Leflore Co). A wooden handled copper blade axe recovered from the Spiro Mound in 1935 by Kimbal A. McKenzie of the Pocola Mining Company. All the axes were found together in a cache in an open area free of any debris. This axe and approximately 28 other bird effigy wood handle axes with copper blades protruding through the open mouth beak were found wrapped in a woven mat container. All the axes were found together in a cache in an open area free of any debris. They were pried up and carried out of one of the tunnels by two diggers, Mr. Hobbs and Mr. K. A. McKenzie. They said the axes looked as though the original owners had just tossed them down in a pile. Most of the handles had been purposely broken (ceremonially killed). The cache contained more copper blades than wood handles. No satisfactory answer has been given why these bird-head effigy axes were created with the copper blade's longest portion and cutting end positioned coming from the back of the bird head. This carved effigy has been identified as either a Pileated or Ivory Billed Woodpecker, due to the red stained wood, large shell cutout eye, long beak and tongue design, and head crest. A high number of conch shell engravings establish the woodpecker as prominent Spiro design. The wood (believed to be Persimmon) was aided in its preservation in the dry tomb because of its association with copper salts. The copper blade on this axe is 9 and 1/2 inches long and the wood handle is 16 inches long. The cutting edge on this blade and another that I have personally examined exhibit blunt edges, indicating this artifact had a strictly ceremonial function. The thin, finely carved delicate wood handle would not endure sustained functional blows. The end of the handle is bell shaped flared with an adornment hole carved in the end of the bell, similar to the stone monolithic axes. No two woodpecker heads were carved the same way indicating that more freedom of artisitic impression was allowed on this Spiro artifact. There have been shell engravings found at Spiro that depict these axes being carried about the waist, perhaps dancing ceremoniously. No where else in the world have copper blade wood handle effigy axes of this type and style been found. This makes this artifact one of the rarest types known to American archaeology.

Attachments

• spiroaxe(small).jpg
    spiroaxe(small).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting artifact. Thanks for visiting us here on Tnet Neanderthal. I always did like you 8-)

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Very interesting artifact. Thanks for visiting us here on Tnet Neanderthal. I always did like you 8-)

Thanks, Rock *blushing*. I'm actually an "old timer" to TNET, I just really don't post much on forums anymore.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing pieces. Persimmon is a very hard wood and makes sense as a handle. I have never seen a piece like that. Long blade and handle would put the wood pecker on you. I have seen the woodpecker in shell gorgets. It must have been a strong symbol. Thanks Matt

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf cubs were made out if persimmon years ago strong wood ;)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting article and artifact. When I lived in Oklahoma I heard and read a little about the Spiro mounds that over near the Arkansas border. I understand that there were some amazing finds in that area. Thanks for sharing!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you believe there is any correlation with the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in particular as being a part of this artifacts size and shape? They are a large and mysterious bird.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Do you believe there is any correlation with the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in particular as being a part of this artifacts size and shape? They are a large and mysterious bird.

The shape for sure, maybe the size as well. Woodpeckers apparently were pretty important to the natives. I'm sure they were a food source, but they also used them (or at least parts of them, like beaks) for various tools and decoration. Some people have even surmised that the aboriginals thought enough of the birds to transport and redistribute them in different parts of North America.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting and cool! Thank you for your response. :notworthy:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any of the mounds in the Spiro Mound area that are still intact and unmolested? Just wondering.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
To my understanding, if you take a tour of Spiro mounds today (which I've done numerous times), the mounds that you see are not original. I've heard that the original structures were land-leveled many years ago - what you see today are recreations.

The Harlan and Norman mounds are another story entirely. The Harlan mounds have been called "Spiro's sister mounds", and they are still intact........underwater. When they flooded Grand River to make Ft. Gibson lake, the reservoir went over the Harlan mounds.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing relic, thanks for the look.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Matt, the ability to hold a relic like that would be sooooooooooo cool! John Baldwin showed me pictures of it years ago, truly an amazing relic! (I assume it's that same piece.)

Do you know what happened to all of them?

Joshua

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Josh, it was Baldin's. Peabody (Smithsonian) was thought to have the rest of them rat-holed back. However, the UA has somehow wound up with one broken up one and didn't even know what it was.

P.S. we also obtained the shell "Cameo Mask" from the cache at Spiro.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Very cool. He let me hold the Hooks Dove, several of his pop eyes, and 3 of the Hopewell pipes, but he didn't let a fidgity teenager hold this one (I wonder why?)

Do you know, did he sell it before he died or did they disperse his collection? I've always wanted to see his catalog or log book if they sold his collection. I visited him in Michigan when I sold him my first Clovis (I think overwhelming them with amazing relics was part of his negotiations strategy.) He thought he sold it, but one of his closer friends thought it might have been in a paleo frame he had. Still looking for it.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
His son (Jason) still has a lot of his relics, I'm not quite sure exactly how much though. You may want to get ahold of him and see if he still has the clovis - he may.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread