AA 2700Mah Rechargables in the DFX

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA 2700Mah Rechargables in the DFX???

Anyone use the AA 1.2v high capacity rechargeable batteries in the DFX? I bought 8 forgetting they were only 1.2 volts. At what voltage do you guys change packs because the machines performance has dropped? I have not use these batteries and will return them of 9.6 starting voltage is not going to cut it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've used them. They work ok but when they drop off they really drop off so carry an extra set. I did not note any problems with my DFX using them. Change them out when the voltage starts dipping below 8.5 to 8. I usually check the level during ground balance~ I do it regularly. Just remember to have what ever settings your using saved in one of the custom slots if your adjusting things for best performance in an area.
I got about 2 years out of the last set and have just been lazy about picking up new ones~~ forgot to hug my tree today ;) when I found a smoking deal on a big pack of duracells......

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Airscapes,

I use the rnb innovations HP-3100 rechargeable pack for my White's V3i and DFX. They are expensive, but they last for days. Using them I never had a low voltage condition.

Regards,

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a nice deal on the HP-2900 RNB pack. I have not used it yet but am looking forward to seeing how it performs in my TDI SL and V3i. Is there a major difference vs the 3100 pack?

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a nice deal on the HP-2900 RNB pack. I have not used it yet but am looking forward to seeing how it performs in my TDI SL and V3i. Is there a major difference vs the 3100 pack?

Thanks for the info on the Li pack but this thread is about AA recharger NiMH batteries. $30-$40 a set. The HP-2900 RNB Lithium-ion is probably great but it's $150 and not in the budget for me this year.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got my smart charger and put the 2700s through the refresh cycle and they are all withing 20mah of 2700 which is great, will get to try them out in the very near future, snow is almost gone and temps in the 60s tomorrow... DFX arriving Thursday with rain till Sunday.. so will be muddin it all day Sunday trying to learn the DFX.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I got my smart charger and put the 2700s through the refresh cycle and they are all withing 20mah of 2700 which is great, will get to try them out in the very near future, snow is almost gone and temps in the 60s tomorrow... DFX arriving Thursday with rain till Sunday.. so will be muddin it all day Sunday trying to learn the DFX.

So glad you are geting the DFX back on Thursday and I am excited to see how it works out for you. My only advice would be to not start with the DFX running to hot because it can overwhelm you in a hurry. Just start slow and remember that you have plenty of horsepower and you don't have to overdrive it like you do with the GT. I ran my 6T wide open and I assume you do the same. The DFX is a different kind of beast and you have to give that horsepower it's respect or it will turn on you. I think that I was always trying to tweak a little extra depth out of the DFX at the cost of stability and that was my downfall with it. IMHO there is a happy medium between raw power and stability and when you find that in your ground the DFX will flourish and you will get some really good finds.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the plan is to look for the jewelry this year and to stop chasing clad only so not sure how deep it needs to go. Now we are talking schools and ball fields so not going to find much but pull tabs and I keep telling myself that so I don't get discouraged. My thinking is this will force me to learn the machine. I plan on using the raw 15kHz VDI to take advantage of the better resolution at the low end of the scale. I suppose I will limit my time with jewelry to a set number of hours and bounce back to coin so I feel like I am finding something useful as I lean.. reading is great but you gota apply it a few time to make it sink in. I am kind of nervous about EMI since it seem the DFX is rather sensitive. I have to hope it was all those bad coils and when I get it back it will be quite as a mouse.. How the heck do 3 different coils all go bad.. I am having a hard time believing it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions