avg depth m6 mxt pro

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What can a normal user expect to get for depth with these two machines normal avg ground low disc just knocking out nails with 950 or 10indd coils as I have both, also preset maybe a touch higher sense. What I mean by depth is the ability to get a repeatable signal regardless of vdi numbers on coin size objects. Also would a xlt be able to gain me and measurable depth over above 2 machines? I've never had any luck digging whisper type signals so only looking for repeatable signals.

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as they say there isn't one perfect detector made. So my first question is what type of sites will you generally be hunting the most ? I use the M6 and MXT Pro because of their ability to handle iron dense sites such as ghost towns, old homestead sites etc. They will do great on Monte's Nail Board Test. Since those are the sites that I hunt the most, I am not really concerned about the depth. I use a smaller then stock coil ( the Eclipse 5.3 and the Detech 5" round DD) and each machine has the ability to lock the GB.

In more open less trashy areas I feel my XLT set up with the proper program will do better when it comes to "Depth" Using a Royal 800 coil I was with Monte in a Eastern Oregon town. I installed his "Bushwhack" program and we recovered two war nickels and a 1939 nickel. Monte measured each one and they ranged from 7 1/2 to 8 1/2" deep. Although at that depth the VDI numbers were not correct, they did however give a nice repeatable beep.
I feel that one machine is not better then the other, rather they compliment each other. Where one may lack a bit in one area the other will compensate.

As far as coils for the M6/MXT's I have the 9" Spider Coil a 5.3 and the 5" DD. Of all the coils that I have tried and put through the paces, I got the worst performance from the 10" D2 coil. It was just too erratic and VDI numbers constantly jumping. If I felt I needed a "big" coil I would use my 9" spider or sometimes use the 10 x 12 SEF . The 12" round Concentric would also do good, but is a bit of a big clumsy coil. Had they placed were the rod attaches to the coil more towards the center of the coil, like on the 10 x 12 SEF, it would have balanced much better.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get dimes at 10"+ with a few being at a full 12" before running +2 gain with the D2 coil, you need a good set of headphones for those really deep whisper targets. I go to a pounded park and dig only the really deep whisper targets to avoid clad and most trash and dig some one way signals if they sound good enough, sometimes with the MXT that silver just sings so good I dig some one way signals and almost half the time its a deep silver. When at this trashy park I even run as high as 7 discriminate sometimes and the MXT will still stiff out that deep silver, when they get this deep the wheats come up like the silver dimes. You might always be able to run that hot in high EMI area's, just make sure to ground balance at the gain your going to be running at and make sure to adjust the threshold down some the higher the gain you use and make sure its not too noisy to hear those deep whisper targets. HH

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about the M6 but my MXT will give a good two way signal and good ID on a 10" silver dime and a 12 " quarter.

OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for some great responses. I know a lot of people beat the depth question into the ground, it's just good to have an avg idea what your machines capable of. Even with everyone's variants is it safe to assume 8 inches should be a repeatable signal even without accurate vdi's? I have dug old iron, nails, tools and logging relics well beyond the six inch mark just can't seem to find any coins that break the 5 or 6 in mark. Even my wife's 1874 shield nickel was only approximately 4 inches in our front yard. I use that for example because it's our oldest coin find. Her 04 o barber half was also only four inches. We do have a lot of stoney clay loam soil in this area maybe that has something to do with it. It's weird I'll dig deeper silver signals and they are always nails. I can't say I mind digging the nails glad to know the machines going that deep. Is it common for the coins depth to fade out at four to five inches with no more being found deeper than that, yet there's still a layer of deeper iron? At least in some areas? I found my share of old coins and even silver coins, in the almost 21 years of digging. I'm always looking to learn more and help improve my skills because as i get older I have less and less time time each year to hunt, due to miking more cows and farming more acres. Back to target depth, I have never found a target with my v3i the mxt couldn't easily nail. I find I mainly use it for field hunting, some of my more hunted sites and when i want the fun factor of the cool screen and all extra info! I actually have more faith in the mxt pro than my v3i which I've had for two years now. Thanks again farmerboy

Dallas

Oct 2, 2005
Clatskanie, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest coin I ever dug with the MXT and 950 coil was A Barber Dime at 9 inches. I would neaver heard it except there was a deep depression right at the end of the slide in the park I was hunting and the dime was 9 inches below that. Had the depression not been there, the coin would have been about 14 inches deep. The park was in Baker City, Oregon. Yes Del, right in your neighborhood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread