Abandoned houses and buildings.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This is the abandoned hotel in Jackson Springs, NC. Unknown age I would guess 1900+. It was in a lot better shape about 10 years ago before someone stripped it. I can't tell if it was being renovated or torn down. Either way I don't think it's been touched in 5 years at least. This place sits right on the bank of a wide creek with an open area I presume was a camping and recreational area for the locals. There is a boathouse close by so I guess it was popular with travelers.
It has a very solid looking cement foundation.
img4795d.jpg

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics I tooo love seeing the old homes and buildings! They built things all things to last back before modernization! :coffee2:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks so much for these pictures, those places are haunting. We have quite a few around here, and you just look at them and wonder about the lives that were lived in them. Keep 'em coming.

naturegirl

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This place is near Carthage, NC. It is 19th century and has never had electricity or plumbing. I discovered it when the land was cleared. Way up on a hill and there are several out buildings including a "two holer" outhouse. When you lean in and listen down the well you can hear drips. Check out the wood work in this beauty. What a jewel. It is now completely overgrown and almost invisible again. That might be a good thing considering what happens to abandoned houses by vandals and antique wood stripping scumbags. Unless you count the linoleum tiles in the kitchen, the only sign of anything 20th century I could find in the house was a Mountain Dew can left by the loggers.
house1v.jpg

house4m.jpg

house5cv.jpg

house2d.jpg

house3o.jpg

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool woodwork inside. From the pics this house looks as if it could be saved, would be nice to see.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
GL I love your post of abandoned houses :icon_thumleft: The door hardware on one of the pics really caught my eye. I am surprised it has not been removed as this is often sought after by restorers of old houses. The victorian with all the vine growth is my favorite ! What a pity this hasn't been taken better care of. Thanks for posting :) Carolina

chrisrich

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2009
Awesome photos !! I love old abandoned houses. Too bad they can't be saved, but I guess it would take more money than they are worth.
Keep posting them, they're great!!

Cheers
Chris

AKA the rock crusher

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pics, GL. Some of em I can imagine that after ever body come in from work and after supper, the folks sittin on the porch visitin with the neighbors watchin the kids play until bedtime. Like it was when I was little. Wasn't that long ago that my family lived without the electric. Wasn't that bad, cause we didn't know any better. Once again, excellent pics.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Mental Granny said:
Great pics I tooo love seeing the old homes and buildings! They built things all things to last back before modernization! :coffee2:

MG, homes are really built far better now than they ever were...
Best,
rmptr

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat 'Old Places', I wonder who ever shared a (two holer) outhouse at the same time? :icon_scratch:

Fossis...............

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos of yesterday. I have been in charge of several historical restorations and it is out of this world fun/difficult/rewarding. Love to do that first one. Thanks for sharing your journey GL
TnMountains

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This once impressive mansion sits abandoned and partially dismantled on the main street through Wagram, NC. It appears to be late 19th/early 20th century and was an enormous home and property. The front half has been removed in a weird way that leaves the entire three stories exposed through a gaping hole where I assume a series of stacked porches and small rooms once were. It's been like this for at least 10 years.
There is still a wide walkway visible through the undergrowth in the front and if you look with the right eye you can see landscaping including cedar, magnolia, azaleas and willows, flowers are visible in the summer and roses grow on the edge of the property right into the sidewalk and probably always will. I have included a side view and a front view as seen from the road. It sits less than 50 feet off the main street yet is almost invisible. At least someone added some No Tresspassing signs, those work...

Side:
img5534n.jpg

Front as seen from the street:
img5537a.jpg

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man. :'( You can just see that place in the Roaring 20's. Such a shame. :(

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
GL said:
Another farmhand homestead this time in Ellerbe, NC. Looks 19th century but could be early 20th. Again, the level of simplicity in this homes design makes me wonder if people could still live this way. Two rooms, no insulation or electricity...
It sits just off the road inside a hay field fenceline.

Yep, it's hard to realize our ancestors lived in those simplicit cabins, but they did, and often worse conditions than that. Insulation and electricity are modern conveniences. Go back 100+ years. You would be amazed at how they lived. It's a wonder we're here. We think that WE have it hard. ha! Our ancestors were great survivors. I hope we can do as well in the future when we have to.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This appears to be factory housing. It is in a very old section of Southern Pines, NC that is dotted with small frame houses in rows along a street that dead ends at an old mill in Aberdeen, NC. Probably built to house the minority workers. The rest of the workers lived in a different neighborhood closer to town. Keep in mind this is NC and this was a long time ago. back then working for a factory or a mill meant you had not only a job but access to housing in an effort to attract help from all over the county. Today the mill makes grinding wheels. I'd date this homeplace to the early 20th century.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread