Abe, decided Oct. is too far away so had to act... and a first! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tonight myself and newfie boy headed out for another three hour hunt, had no idea where to go, but picked a large field that had been hunted, but clearly not quite good enough! Shame the wax seal is not complete, but the rest made up for it. Two George III halfpennies (1773 and dateless), 3 French Colonial Marines buttons & part of a ornate trigger guard, and by far my best find of the hunt, and year so far, my first Machin's Mills copper! :tongue3: And the condition doesn't suck! :headbang: It's just a common 1788 but I've been waiting over a decade to find one and today was the day. All these targets were worked out of the iron, and there's got to be a few more, so am looking forward to giving it another shot tomorrow... which is also our last hunt, and probably my final one for the Summer. So Abe I cut into your lead a little, and didn't have to wait for Fall. :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160713_205236.jpg
    thumbnail_20160713_205236.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_20160713_205309.jpg
    thumbnail_20160713_205309.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 152
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 186
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 34
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a treasure hunter how much will you give me if i pinpoint the spot you just gave clues to..Are we on?

~Blaze

I'll give you a shout out in my next post. :)

It's probably pretty easy to find for anyone who knows where I am... because I wasn't really trying to hide it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man a Machins is on my list. Glad you got one in nice condition. It's not nearly as nice as my 1749 unbarred A regal farthing....but it's ok I guess. I'm sure you'll pick it up by fall. You're just motivating me to go crush it in the old dirt bro. Thanks for the motivation!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze,

At least he didn't say I'm your huckleberry....lol....

The most misquoted line in the movies. The term is actually "I'm your huckle bearer". Which means I'm about to put you in a coffin and people will be carrying you by the "huckles" which are the handles on a coffin. But when everybody thought it was huckleberry they just went with it. They even made t-shirts

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IP, another sweet hunt. :headbang: Keep'em coming! Question for ya, I thought there were more counterfeits than regal KGs in circulation. I also thought most of them were Machin's Mills. I obviously thought wrong, since this is your first Machin's Mills. So we're most of the counterfeits made elsewhere, or were most regal? Looking forward to your next one man.

Brad

The most misquoted line in the movies. The term is actually "I'm your huckle bearer". Which means I'm about to put you in a coffin and people will be carrying you by the "huckles" which are the handles on a coffin. But when everybody thought it was huckleberry they just went with it. They even made t-shirts

Awesome bit of info buddy. I keep learning and had no idea. Excellent piece of trivia and history.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MM was one heckuva find, and its condition was the icing on the cake. Congrats.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice bunch of finds

That kg has great patina

HH Jer

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the MM and other great finds. That spoon handle looks like it could be part of a sword hanger?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man a Machins is on my list. Glad you got one in nice condition. It's not nearly as nice as my 1749 unbarred A regal farthing....but it's ok I guess. I'm sure you'll pick it up by fall. You're just motivating me to go crush it in the old dirt bro. Thanks for the motivation!!!!

After today you'll have until mid. Oct. to extend your lead. We're hitting the same spot which was starting to become on a quiet side, but I know if we spend the time we'll still dig enough holes to have a shot. It's the perfect time from for here, first having early French, and then what seems like a 1780s settler. It's the period here where good things seem to happen, so I'm pretty optimistic even with limited digging we'll have a shot.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the MM and other great finds. That spoon handle looks like it could be part of a sword hanger?

Nothing about it that makes me think anything other than spoon handle.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, another sweet hunt. :headbang: Keep'em coming! Question for ya, I thought there were more counterfeits than regal KGs in circulation. I also thought most of them were Machin's Mills. I obviously thought wrong, since this is your first Machin's Mills. So we're most of the counterfeits made elsewhere, or were most regal? Looking forward to your next one man.

Brad

Awesome bit of info buddy. I keep learning and had no idea. Excellent piece of trivia and history.

My page froze when posting this, but took a screen shot.

Attachments

• uhygf.jpg
    uhygf.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 79

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets tougher every year to get a first, congrats on crossing that one off, and it being in nice condition.
Too bad the seal is missing (assume) the good part, but I've yet to even get that much, so good find too.
The field sounds like one you took me to during my "16 hours in dirtyville".
Good luck today.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I'm so excited for you! I remembered your reply to my July 3rd find, Congrats and keep-em-comin!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. I am a bit partial to the wax seal... but the Machin's steals the show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread