Abe, decided Oct. is too far away so had to act... and a first! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tonight myself and newfie boy headed out for another three hour hunt, had no idea where to go, but picked a large field that had been hunted, but clearly not quite good enough! Shame the wax seal is not complete, but the rest made up for it. Two George III halfpennies (1773 and dateless), 3 French Colonial Marines buttons & part of a ornate trigger guard, and by far my best find of the hunt, and year so far, my first Machin's Mills copper! :tongue3: And the condition doesn't suck! :headbang: It's just a common 1788 but I've been waiting over a decade to find one and today was the day. All these targets were worked out of the iron, and there's got to be a few more, so am looking forward to giving it another shot tomorrow... which is also our last hunt, and probably my final one for the Summer. So Abe I cut into your lead a little, and didn't have to wait for Fall. :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160713_205236.jpg
    thumbnail_20160713_205236.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_20160713_205309.jpg
    thumbnail_20160713_205309.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 152
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 186
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 34

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My page froze when posting this, but took a screen shot.

Thanks man, that clears it up. That's really interesting... I assumed the majority of the counterfeit coppers where made here to turn a profit at the expense of the crown. But it sounds like they were made by entrepreneurs in Great Britain to make money off Colonial Americans!

Your Machin's Mills is killer... rare or not, my favorite part is that you know where it was minted and that it was most likely done at night in secrecy. (or so I've read). Its also in great condition.

Thanks for that info man.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
If you really think about what was really the difference minting there or in Britain?One claimed to be king of the castle and one wasn't..Dang the same damn thing is still going on!!
The only difference back then was both were really using a precious metal..Now it's one big illusion scam!There is no cure....

~Blaze

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man, that clears it up. That's really interesting... I assumed the majority of the counterfeit coppers where made here to turn a profit at the expense of the crown. But it sounds like they were made by entrepreneurs in Great Britain to make money off Colonial Americans!

Your Machin's Mills is killer... rare or not, my favorite part is that you know where it was minted and that it was most likely done at night in secrecy. (or so I've read). Its also in great condition.

Thanks for that info man.

That was not one comparison I mentioned... British made counterfeits vs American made that circulated in America, but now I see that's sort of the boiled down answer you were looking for.... and I don't really know, but would think still way more British made, and just looking at how many George coppers are found for every MAchin's Mills is pretty good evidence.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's as good as you can possibly hope for with a summer hunt. Congrats on an awesome array of coins and buttons. Stuck inside here with 96F heat plus high humidity. Pretty brutal.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the marine buttons and the trigger guard. Congrats on your Machins Mills. My best one is a 1772 Vlack 5-72A.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have though you would have found a Machin by now. Congrats on your first

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen the word Machins Mills around the forum but never knew what it was..I'm not a big coin guy but i must have one in my collection..That trigger guard is the cherry for sure..Must have been an ornate gun in it's day!

~Blaze

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of Sweet finds and the condition of that old copper, Sweet!!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets tougher every year to get a first, congrats on crossing that one off, and it being in nice condition.
Too bad the seal is missing (assume) the good part, but I've yet to even get that much, so good find too.
The field sounds like one you took me to during my "16 hours in dirtyville".
Good luck today.

No, this field has never been a regular one. When IH and I first hunted it many years ago a large section was grown up, and that's where the site is. Once they cut it the other guys beat us to it, but it's surprising how many targets were left... clearly they were there to cherry pick all the higher targets, and I have to think they did fairly well as the time period is as good as it gets here for quality finds.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, what city/state is that found? I can only WISH to find things like that! :)

-J
They are from a hidden community way up north on there own island..I know strange but they make good metal detecting finds......You can visit but you have to have a Masker suit made..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you just love knocking off finds on the bucket list! I should go through my coppers at some point... Always enjoy digging those French Marines too!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The M. Mills copper is in really nice condition. I've only found on early seal holder without the stone as well. That's a bittersweet find. Close but not close enough on a hard to get item.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great old copper . I learn so much here . Had no idea what it was till I started reading about it here . Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread