Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can dig em, just can't dig em looking sweet. :-\ I think the 1820 Commercial change is a first and should clean up ok so that is cool. Also another Portugal Reis, my 2nd this Spring. Our next hunt will probably not be for a couple of weeks and by then most fields will be planted, so just getting enough targets to have a chance at something good will soon be a challenge.

PS... God I love these awesome coppers! ;D

Attachments

• crusty1.jpg
    crusty1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 853
  • crusty2.jpg
    crusty2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 0

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11 coppers, that beats my year to date total!
I heard a story about a brass cannon in a well when I lived in high school. As the story went several older fellows stole it in their younger days and dumped it in a well, at the time only one of them was still alive and he let a local history buff know the spot, but he had to promise not to remove it untill the old timer passed away. I still wonder what happened, as I moved away after high school!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
You never know, the cannon could be mounted on cartwheels :laughing9:

I think it's going to be full of cartwheels! Better chance of that than you digging just one! ;D

Now that WOULD get you your first banner for the year :laughing7:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
You never know, the cannon could be mounted on cartwheels :laughing9:

I think it's going to be full of cartwheels! Better chance of that than you digging just one! ;D

Now that WOULD get you your first banner for the year :laughing7:

Sure would! I actually did get 'my' first banner find for the year. This coin didn't make it, but that's only because it's one of those things that you can't understand unless you understand the history of my area and have detected for years to understand how rare it is to dig one. I have found many finds that are much rarer or more valuable in the books, but what's in the ground can be a very different story as is the case for this one. That said, I do want a legit banner find before the year is done! :thumbsup: No, I want three of em! ;D

Attachments

• 2010_10.jpg
    2010_10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 2010_10a.jpg
    2010_10a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 2010_10.jpg
    2010_10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 2010_10a.jpg
    2010_10a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 324

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I don't understand is how all of your threads always have a million replies? :laughing9: Oh, you are the one to blame. :laughing9: :laughing7:

Kirk

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
What I don't understand is how all of your threads always have a million replies? :laughing9: Oh, you are the one to blame. :laughing9: :laughing7:

Kirk

Well why don't you leave it at 999,999 and shut TFU. :D

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
Another great post & hunt IP! :thumbsup: But this one I learned from :D Thanks to Romeo's question! :thumbsup: I had been wondering what they were as I've found them at old sites now I know!Wondered if the small one is to a pistol? Also see I had a nipple in my "R" :laughing7: bucket to go with them. 8)

Don't know what the right hand one is, but the left two are furniture fittments.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=23822&cat=all

I think these came up in a post recently? I knew I seen it somewhere, but then it matched the gun so well I figured it had to be it. Any pics to show how it was used on furniture? Obviously they are close enough that there is going to be some mistakes for what is what.
Here is what it would look like IP! :thumbsup: As best I understand! :D
The design of this traditional style plate handle is based on 17th and 18th century influences. Made in England from solid brass, this plate handle has a stamped backplate and cast handle. Available in a range of sizes to suit the size of the furniture, this handle is also available in either an antique or polished finish. Measurement quoted refers to overall width of the handle and each piece is supplied with matching fixings.

Attachments

• C1106[1].jpg
    C1106[1].jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0980.JPG
    DSCN0980.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 296
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
Another great post & hunt IP! :thumbsup: But this one I learned from :D Thanks to Romeo's question! :thumbsup: I had been wondering what they were as I've found them at old sites now I know!Wondered if the small one is to a pistol? Also see I had a nipple in my "R" :laughing7: bucket to go with them. 8)

Don't know what the right hand one is, but the left two are furniture fittments.

I think these came up in a post recently? I knew I seen it somewhere, but then it matched the gun so well I figured it had to be it. Any pics to show how it was used on furniture? Obviously they are close enough that there is going to be some mistakes for what is what.
The design of this traditional style plate handle is based on 17th and 18th century influences. Made in England from solid brass, this plate handle has a stamped backplate and cast handle. Available in a range of sizes to suit the size of the furniture, this handle is also available in either an antique or polished finish. Measurement quoted refers to overall width of the handle and each piece is supplied with matching fixings.

hmmm.... looks like it might not be so easy to say what is what.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Well why don't you leave it at 999,999 and shut TFU. :D

I just can't help it sometimes. It is always fun to razz Iron Patch and add to his already 1,000,000 replies. :laughing9:

Kirk

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch in Canada = Average of 10+ crusty, thin Canadian tokens per hunt. :headbang: IP, those tokens came out much better this time.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Iron Patch in Canada = Average of 10+ crusty, thin Canadian tokens per hunt. :headbang: IP, those tokens came out much better this time.

Only the one on the left is from the "can & copper" site and is quite a bit better than most. Maybe even VG so finally a $20 bill! ;D

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

Only the one on the left is from the "can & copper" site and is quite a bit better than most. Maybe even VG so finally a $20 bill! ;D

There you go again with value, IP. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

There you go again with value, IP. :laughing9:

Yes, said it just for you! I'd only sell them if it was going to put some serious cash in my pocket. Otherwise I keep em all. :thumbsup:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Iron Patch said:
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Nice job finding those! :icon_thumright:

I hope you find the cannon! I also have a buried pre-Revolutionary cannon story to follow up on.... someday! Its the only reason to keep my GTI2500... the two box coil. :)

I wonder what condition a cannon would be in after 250 years underground? :o

It was Ironhorse who was talking to him, but I'm under the impression it wasn't buried that long ago. That's good in a way because it makes the chances of it being there much better. I think IH said a guy about 90 years old showed the farmer the spot. I'll have to get the details again myself, but will be a fun hunt! Ironhorse (well both of us) have already said we'd gladly give it to the farmer as he wants to restore it and make it part of the community again.
the story goes...the cannon was part of the local militia in the 1800's and they used it for exercises and target practice, up until before WW I, then it was placed at an edge of a field on or near a local road where it laid for several years and was a common site in the rural community, and was used for bragging rights among the locals as to who could move it or even lift it from it's spot, another old time local in his 90's remembers as a child the locals digging a trench and leaving it there, also of others finding the balls that were fired from it in some potato fields over the years too
the farmer who recalled this story wants it returned to the community as a historical marker of the involement of the local militia from the 1800's...I told him that it would be a challenge but it would be a better adventure for us treasure seekers to go out and find...but really ,if it comes to light, I believe it will solidify our connection with some of the locals and open up many opportunities for us to get to some of the other fields and properties in the area, and then see what there is!

it's amazing what a knock on the door does for ideas and possibilities to find treasure!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

hmmm.... looks like it might not be so easy to say what is what.
This may help us IP! :thumbsup: But I would disreguard the part about them "ALL" being square the remainder the way up the shaft!Mine are a little but is hard to tell! :icon_scratch: Anyway the thread part is better advise from what I see! :thumbsup: I think the musket pieces would have to be iron to hold up with repeated firing and slams.And would look like the threads would have to run the hole length to hold both hammer pieces. :thumbsup: Anyway Good finds & hunts you been having!I'll leave you alone now to keep up with your replies :wink:
Take Care! :hello:
Handles can provide a useful clue to dating, because styles changed from period to period. It's common to find pieces with replaced handles. This isn't serious but it's preferable to have handles in keeping with the rest of the piece. From c.1960 handles were secured by pommels and nuts. Antique pommels were hand cast in a single piece of brass. The thread goes only half way up the shank, and the remainder of the shank is square-shaped. Modern pommels are made from brass heads with steel shanks and the thread runs the whole length of the shank. The nuts used to attach handles in the 18th century were circular and slightly irregular. You can recognize modern nuts if they are regular and hexagonal.

Attachments

• handles[1].jpg
    handles[1].jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 229

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coppers :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I see the Metal Detecting Gods have been spending some time in Canada :headbang:

VPR

Yes, Ironhorse and I have been known to visit. ;D
LOL Nice finds partner... You've dug about 31 or so in the last few weeks...That's more than most guys dig in a lifetime.
Nice in my book!

That's probably Ironhorse's usual count. Mine would be about 7. :laughing7:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are all great coppers.

With anything in this hobby we hope for our finds to be preserved already before we get them. But that is hardly the case. Were I am at soil is acidic copper brass etc. It sucks for the most part. But from time to time we hit the good one's in the good soil. That is what keeps us going. I've got toasted coppers myself. But I got some nice one's to.

HH Jer

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Once again.......you've done well with the coppers, but i'm still very suprised at the lack of buttons being found. It seems to me that in most cases, buttons held a higher value than the coppers. How else could you explain finding so many coins and so few buttons?.

Keep 'em coming!

James.
HomesteadHunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread