Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, shoot in the city Parks I hunt, I probably have 1-2 digs a minute. Can be exhausting on days where it's almost all trash. In a four hour period, I'll bet I clear 300-400 digs. Much of it is simply "bend down and pick up the trash" but it all adds up, when the coins are in there!

I would certainly call that a target rich environment! That's a lot of digging..

I need to step up my game!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am in Chattanooga so I know where you are. You live near a mecca of civil war relics but you are about 30 years too late but if you put some time into meeting some folks over in Iuka and Corinth and get a few permissions you will still find bullets buttons and other civil war related items there. Where do you look ? the soldiers were everywhere over there and any place you can put a detector on the ground is a good place to look.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check out youtube videos

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
please do this...set ot too pro 0 like advised find a local athletic park or usually busy park ...go early on a sunday morning and dig everything that rings 85 or higher you will get a coin !! thats cherry picking at its finest

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
newbie detectorist here... I've used my machine 4 times now. I don't have a Garrett, but I have a whites MTX. The biggest thing that helped me when getting started was bumping up the discrimination to above nickels and tabs. Then I took my machine to the beach/playground sand box where I could learn to dig without creating a huge mess. Bumping up the discrimination reduced the amount of trash I was digging to start and let me better understand what I was listening too.

The second thing that helped me was thinking about the area I was detecting in. At the beach, I tried to visualize where people would sit and where they would put their backpacks and purses. That lone large rock in the middle of the sand had several coins around it from people climbing and sitting on it. The swings always seem to have change under the point of the arc where people pants pockets will empty from going upsidedown. The volleyball courts had items around the edge where spectators were sitting to watch (inside was surprisingly clean but makes sense since people are playing there not sitting). People tend to lose things in areas where they stop and go through their pockets/bags. Not when they are on the move.

My most successful hunt in terms of knowledge about my machine was my last hunt in another park sandbox. I started in the high discrimination low gain mode I had been hunting in to start and covered the entire sand box. Then I reduced discrimination down to just discriminating out iron and pumped the gain to max. This gave me a better understanding of the differences in what I was hearing. Found my first 3 nickels that day. As well as a toy truck that was at least a foot down. I also learned how to better pinpoint where exactly my targets were to reduce the time/effort I spent digging.

Not saying I'm a pro. But I definitely feel that I'm learning more and more each time I go out.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a couple of Whites machines, and you can get videos produced by the company on how to use a specific machine. So if you don't have a live person to help you, check and see if you can get a video that tells about your specific machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread