SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows whether or not it is real or a myth, but since plutonium will kill you, it doesn't seem like a treasure or worth searching for anyway.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Available in optional black with silver trim. How many do you need?

Coffin%20black%20with%20stand%20sg_md.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But seriously; at the end of WWII there was very little refined Plutonium. It took the US two years to make enough for the Fat Man (Nagasaki bomb). It had to be carefully shaped into the core. The US Military had three Plutonium cores in 1945. They used one.

Do you think that they would have discarded the other two? With what was, at the time, the most valuable pieces of metal on the planet?
Both of the remaining cores are accounted for and were exploded post war at the Bikini Atoll.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The USA didn't stop making bombs after the war so I'd guess they stuck it in another bomb.
Why would anyone want it and what would someone do with it. There is plenty of Plutonium at the worlds reactors so it's not like in short supply.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The USA didn't stop making bombs after the war so I'd guess they stuck it in another bomb.
Why would anyone want it and what would someone do with it. There is plenty of Plutonium at the worlds reactors so it's not like in short supply.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the infamous suitcase bombs that still out there from the fall of the USSR. KGB agents know where they are maybe or maybe not. The value to terrorists would be great if found. They had a lost a couple of casks of radioactive material quite a few year. if I recall they found them after the idiots died from exposure handling them.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There is the infamous suitcase bombs that still out there from the fall of the USSR. KGB agents know where they are maybe or maybe not. The value to terrorists would be great if found. They had a lost a couple of casks of radioactive material quite a few year. if I recall they found them after the idiots died from exposure handling them.

This story had scientists thinking it was fake news because of the nature of a bomb.
It takes 11 pounds of U235 to sustain a chain reaction otherwise the neutrons escape w/o striking nuclei. It has to travel a least 10cm.
Scientists doubted the mechanism necessary could fit in a suitcase.
I'm not sure what to think about this story because the laws of physics are stubborn. I wouldn't doubt the Soviets tried along with everyone else.
I remember being taught all different ways to present a nuclear attack. Sending ICBM's seems like too much trouble. It was pointed out that a bomb on the bottom of a ship detonated in NYC harbor would create a radioactive mist covering the city.
In all probability the parts to make up a nuke have been smuggled into the US since the beginning of the Cold War and stored in a basement somewhere. The same with placing bombs in Russia, China, N.Korea, just sneak them in.
The delivery of a nuke doesn't need to be complicated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread