Accosted this evening...

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This evening around 6:30 we went to a place we call the Quarter school for obvious reasons. Normally there are a couple of families playing in the Spark. For the most part this does not bother us. Though if there are a crowd of people we go elsewhere. This progressed quite well for a short time I began to get a small following of kids. All polite asking the usual questions.

What are you doing?
Why?
Can I help?

As time progressed my entourage grew.. Then a voice from the back said "hey that's my quarter I lost that". I held up the nickel I had just dug and said its a nickel not a quarter.
"Give me my nickel"
You said you lost a quarter
"That's my nickel give it to me or I will call my Mom"
Sorry but you said you lost a quarter and this is a Nickel
"Its not my fault you are poor give me my Nickel"
At this point I abandoned the jungle gym and headed over the swing set that was about 50 yards away.
A few minutes later the same voice
"I am calling my Mom"
Please do
"Give me my Quarter"
where did you loose your quarter?
"here"
At this point she filled in the hole I was digging in the mulch and tried to push me over.
Not going to happen I'm a big guy.
I left the area and abandoned the hunt for the day.
My wife says I should have called the police.
Yeah right.
Hello police how may I help you?
"I am being assaulted"
Who is assaulting you?
"A female juvenile"
you mean a Kid?
"Yes"
How old are you sir?
"43"

See my dilemma? I think I did the right thing just leaving even if it meant cutting short our fun time. Just under three years my wife and I have been detecting and this is the first instance of trouble.
I now understand why the guy that showed us how to use our Aces told us not to detect with people around...

Perhaps I should have just given her the money....

Finds_060109.JPG

Finds_060109a.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you made a good haul and I would say call as well. Kids nowdays are not what they once were. I am sure the police get many calls with Juveniles assaulting people. Best to detect when people are not around and keep your eyes open. Congratulations on your finds sir.
TnMtns

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Had you given up the change, they would most likely have watched for you each day to attempt taking advantage. The only thing I may have done different would have been not to acknowledge the claimant at all, not one word.

Use caution should you go back in the near future, parents can be "funny", unfortunately you saw that first hand in how that kid is being raised.

Good luck! :wink:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have just kicked said kid in the stomach. Leave me alone kid. I have these headphones on for a reason. :laughing7: :thumbsup: J/K

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would have said please call your mom --and I'll tell her how your trying to be a low down little hustler theif and she'll whip your butt I hope. -- now go away and leave me be , you little brat.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I had a 14-year old girl try to get us to pay here to help us detect. I shout to Jeff that is was time to leave immediately. He caught my drift and we cut out too.
All we need for our hobby is a young girl claiming two old guys harassed her.

Tell us about that ring, please!!

SKD

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was probably looking for the change we ve been all promised :dontknow: :dontknow:lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
punk rotten nasty kids with no manners or morals is the issue with them wrongfully bothering folks -- well mannered kids that are just asking what I 'm doing do not bother me I veiw it as part of the world at large (and while they can be a bit bothersome at times , I tolerate them )-- however ones who are trying to falsely claim my finds are a differant matter , they are just rude LIL low lifes in training --and I have no need for them around me. --begone vermin child.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Nohope587 said:
This evening around 6:30 we went to a place we call the Quarter school for obvious reasons. Normally there are a couple of families playing in the Spark. For the most part this does not bother us. Though if there are a crowd of people we go elsewhere. This progressed quite well for a short time I began to get a small following of kids. All polite asking the usual questions.

What are you doing?
Why?
Can I help?

As time progressed my entourage grew.. Then a voice from the back said "hey that's my quarter I lost that". I held up the nickel I had just dug and said its a nickel not a quarter.
"Give me my nickel"
You said you lost a quarter
"That's my nickel give it to me or I will call my Mom"
Sorry but you said you lost a quarter and this is a Nickel
"Its not my fault you are poor give me my Nickel"
At this point I abandoned the jungle gym and headed over the swing set that was about 50 yards away.
A few minutes later the same voice
"I am calling my Mom"
Please do
"Give me my Quarter"
where did you loose your quarter?
"here"
At this point she filled in the hole I was digging in the mulch and tried to push me over.
Not going to happen I'm a big guy.
I left the area and abandoned the hunt for the day.
My wife says I should have called the police.
Yeah right.
Hello police how may I help you?
"I am being assaulted"
Who is assaulting you?
"A colored female juvenile"
you mean a Kid?
"Yes"
How old are you sir?
"43"

See my dilemma? I think I did the right thing just leaving even if it meant cutting short our fun time. Just under three years my wife and I have been detecting and this is the first instance of trouble.
I now understand why the guy that showed us how to use our Aces told us not to detect with people around...

Perhaps I should have just given her the money....

Finds_060109.JPG

Finds_060109a.JPG

Perhaps you should try and share all of your finds with such a curious and, dare a say it.. Brazen rug rat? I've found, in my slightly more than two years experience of metal detecting, that kids get very bored with a detectorist if all he/she seems to find is junk.. (ie Pull tabs). I've posted about this very subject in the past.. re: Pied piper Etc . You'll find that a pull tab fits very neatly between two fingers of your hand (whichever you use to retrieve your find from the hole you just dug). Unless the kid(s) are actually down in the hole with you, you should be able to palm whatever coin you find and present the pull tab for viewing. You'd be surprised how fast they lose interest if all you are finding are silly old pull tabs. <laughing> Of course, as others have said, it's easiest to just detect elsewhere if there are a lot of kiddies around. That's what I prefer to do myself. Go when the kiddies aren't as likely to be out and about.. like early in the morning, on cold damp days.. ideal for woodchips after all, IN WINTER! Yeah woodchips will freeze but they aren't like solid ground, you can still dig them when the ground is frozen. <grin> Just a few sugestions. Try out that trick with the pull tab though, it does work. One other hint, if you do detect around the kiddies, Iggy them.. (ignore) If you are using headphones, they don't actually know that you can hear them you know. <grin> I've had fun with that fact in the past too. Just be aware of your suroundings and of people around you. But most importantly, have fun! And, as always..

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I can't say what I'm thinking so I'll be nice about it. You did the right thing by not giving her the nickel, quarter, or whatever it was she felt entitled to that was not hers. What you encountered was the future of America. Give me something that you've got, but that I didn't find nor earn. What a shame. Good on you for not giving it to her.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
glad you kept your cool! especially when she pushed you :o

OP
OP
Nohope587

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I think perhaps I should have worded my post slightly differently. The Ethnic origin of the child has no relevance to the post.
In my line of work I have had occasion compose reports on various people and I fell back on my standard format.

Mods please feel free to remove this post if you think it might cause offense.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing offensive, I see a post about braty kids who bugged you and a picture of some awesome finds! way to go, carry on friend!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been very tempted...I don't know if I would have done it or not, but would have tossed the nickel near the kids feet and said " There's your nickel, now get the,,,,outta here!"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is why I Turn away when I see a Kid
Plant something For me to Find.

Don't want the Hassle of them
Wanting it Back.

Nice Finds !

Jeff

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
You did the right thing by leaving. They were trying to push you around. It could have very easy ended up much worse. You never know what they are carrying (weapon wise). I always carry at least pepper spray. I think their intent was to have you give them your finds for nothing. I agree with a previous poster, these kids are a sign of things to come.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and I'm sorry your spot was ruined that day but, I would stay away for awhile (no going back with people in the park) you might have a child's, mom, and other family after you! Just wait awhile and then go back by the looks of your finds its a great spot. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread