Ace 250 and Water

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil can get wet but doesn't do real well in salt water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the coil is waterproof, but never raise the coil higher than the control box or water in the stem could travel up the stem.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me add a bit here to this conversation, if I may.

My favorite sort of detecting is water searching for jewelry. I subject just about every unit I get my hands on to shallow water searching, and since I live 170 miles from the sea coast, this "water testing" is invariably done in fresh water.

I have used the Ace 250 as a shallow water unit in fresh water and so has my detecting buddy, Hal.** Now, the Ace 250 isn't suited to the wet salt sands due to its set ground balance and VLF operation, but I find that it excels in the freshwater arena! Heres' why.
** (For his part, Hal is a Fisher man and didn't like the operation of the Ace 250 for much of anything!)

First off, the coil is solid and doesn't float - it moves smoothly through the water without you having to fight with it. It also offers decent coverage with it's oval shape.

Second, you can be sure to detect the smaller items. This is because water hunt sites are not generally littered with trash like the dry sand or other terrestrial sites. Even at higher SENS settings there isnt much erratic behavior. The 250 is quite sensitive to smallish targets and many of you have commented about picking up .22 bullets or shoe eyelets with the thing on land. That carries into the water, my friend.
NOTE: Keep in mind that the mineralization conditions of the bottom must be low enough to allow for higher SENS settings. That doesnt change in the water.

The instrument also has good DISC features and in the water, the tone ID becomes more pronounced and beneficial. Ace 250 users know the tones well, but for those unfamiliar with the unit, here they are:

Low tone for iron.
Mid tone jewelry/nickles/tabs.
Garretts 'Belltone' for coins and silver items

If you take proper precautions and cover the controls against water splashing, as you should, then you arent able to gawk at the display like when on land. But, since there is little conflict with trash, these TID tones really have a chance to shine. DO NOT underestimate the value of an iron ID feature in the water!! Am I right Sandman, or what?

I would like to see Garrett do two things more with the Ace:

1. Make an AquaAce based on the 250 platform.
2. Extend the coil cable the needed length, so I can do it for myself.

In the meantime, know that most good finds are in waist deep water or shallower. Shield the housing well from accidental splashing and sloshing and give the Ace 250 a try down at the swimming hole. I predict you'll like the results.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
People pay $450.00 for a good tone ID unit. The 250 has that feature for $212.00!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread