ACE 250 BEACH REVIEW

ELECTRA

Greenie
So I finally got out with the ACE!
I should say that this review focuses only on the BEACH. White caribbean sand. I took the ACE on holidays and used it on the beach almost every day. The ACE worked very well picking up all manner of metal. I mostly used the "all metal" setting with the sensitivity down by 1 notch. Some times I would pop it into the "Jewelry" setting. This latter setting will knock out bottle caps and pull tabs (and perhaps other items that you want to find!!).
The depth icon worked well and was usually spot on when pulling up change. Pennies, dimes, nickles, quarters etc could not hide. I even found Israelie change.

I had to stay away from wet sand however as it would beep randomly as I passed it over wet sand. Underlying wet sand also confused the ACE and would give me "Ghost" targets....Example: I get a beep, 4" deep, start digging, nothing, test again, new reading 4" deeper, dig deeper, nothing, test again, new reading go 4" deeper etc.
I learned to stay away from wet sand. I also learned to go barefoot! (Conditions permitting). This allows you to feel the sand with your feet and dig somewhat. My searches went so much faster when I discovered this.
Battery life:
I used earbuds with volume control the whole 2 weeks and only on the last days did the battery life go down 1 notch.
I swung the ACE as fast as I could with out tiring my arm. After a while I had to alternate. My total time on any given day was about 3 hours. After that I was exhaused, hot, thirsty, and hungry. After a while, my arms did develop "pins and needles" sensation especially in the hand.

PinPointing I cannot imaging the ACE without it. This feature shaves of hours of your time finding items. Get a hit? Narrow in on it and then use the pinpointing feature, dig again if required and pinpoint again untill you find the cause of the beep.

Finds:
What ever there was to find on that huge beach, I can rest assured that I found it. Mostly change. I came back every day with a fist full especially in areas frequented by a daily invasion of beach goers. Toe rings, found about 5 cheap tin, metal toe rings.....why can't these be made of gold? Silver chain and medallion. The fine silver chain is silver but the religious medallion is tin?
It was "just" below the surface of the sand and actually I saw part of it exposed as soon as the ACE beeped. 1 fake diamond earring. The diamond is big but it is fake! 1 gold and 1/2 carot diamond ring. Yep thats right, I found this about 6" down.

Packing the ACE 250

I took it apart and put it in my suitcase that I checked through customs. i made sure it was wrapped and protected in clothes. I had the owners manual with me in case some customs officer questioned me about it. With the manual you can show him what it is used for if need be.

Conclusions
The ACE 250 will be part of my beach holidays from this day forth. It is light and eazy to pack and use. If nothing else it will force you to get up early an out on that beach before the heat and the crowds, get you exercising and enjoying the fresh air!

Hope this is of some use to you.

OP
OP
E

ELECTRA

Greenie
fleamistress said:
Can't one submerge at least one of the coils partially?

What's wrong with W. Canada???

Cyn

Yes the coil can be submerged (apparently). I have not tried it so I cannot comment. The ACE 250 worked like a dream on dry or packed sand.

W.Canada?? I do not like it. What's wrong? it has to be the inclement weather capital of the world. I like to live outside and in a warm climate. I'm in the wrong place That's whats wrong.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great review. I mostly hunt land, but sometimes go on crusies and I do take along
a metal detector. I have an ACE 250 and love it. If you look at my posts on Today's finds, you will
see some pictures of my finds. Thanks Again, HH, Ringfinder

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
I use the ace 250 on dry land 6x9 coil, its lightweight and seems to have good depth, automatic ground balance, and good discrimination features, And at 220 bucks it was reasonably priced, its is a great coin shooter, I have never used it in the water because I have a different machine for that.

I would recommend the ace 250 to someone starting out. Or a seasoned hunter with one suggestion the 4 in sniper coil if you hunt in trashy areas

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Was using the Ace 250 in wet grass (heavy clay soil, very wet) yesterday, had a LOT of false signals. I guess the wet grass gives the same falseouts as wet sand. Thanks for the review!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread