ace 250 depth ?

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
second time out this year I have been working or it has been frozen or raining. They have ripped up one of my parks to add sidewalk. same park I got my first merc out of. So I walked the length of this muddy strip, 4 foot wide one block long. I got 4 weates 40d,42s, 44s, 53d, and a little clad, 1 Qt, 3 dimes, 3 zincons.
Question is I will get a deep qt reading, 25 cent at 8 inches. when i pinpoint it is no longer there, let off the pinpoint I get the reading back, any one have any suggestions? I am using a stock ace 250. All last year I don't think I dug one coin over 4+1/2 inches deep. The merc I got was bumped up against a tree for more sidewalk work, in 1 to 2 inches of soft dirt.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that strip of ground has never been "filled" with more dirt or sodding, coins will fall well within that 4 inch range. Usually, about grassroot level. That old belief that freezing and thawing of the ground helps bury coins is wrong. I have found untold numbers of coins, including many Buff nickels, war nickels, silver dimes and quarters, a zillion pennies, standing liberty quarters, a Barber dime, and Indian Head pennies no deeper than the roots of the grass.

OP
OP
F

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
THANKS FOR THE REPLY But is this the best the ace can do depth wise and what about these false readings that vanish when I pinpoint. If this is the case than the ace is a grate surface machine. only

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own an Ace 250, at this time, but I am considering getting one. I would never give up my Tesoros, but the 250's TID with the notching ability is attractive for certain areas I go to. I am fairly sure that the 250 will go quite deeper than 4 inches. Have you read all of the posts about Garrets involving the 250. Go to the Garrett website and read the articles and archives about the machine.

That disappearing target problem is something we all experience. As I've stated in another post, corroded BB's can run you NUTS in finding it. A coin can start out fairly flat, then turn on edge when you're digging for it and it changes the signal. In certain light conditions, a dirty corroded penny can "disappear" into the dirt and keep sliding around. Sometimes, you have to use the same technique as used in nugget hunting to find an elusive target.

One more point. I've had a very small piece of aluminium "hit" good then "disappear" when I probe. I discovered this when one piece got stabbed by my probe and "rode" it to the surface.

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you pin point dont hit the button over the target ( this cancels out the target) Move coil over a foot, hit PP button and the swing over target.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
FatCat called it, I think, in regard to your problem. Put your machine off to the side of the location of the target and pinpoint TOWARD it, not ON it. As you get better at this you will learn how to do this, properly called 'detuning', closer and closer to the target for down to the inch pinpointing. It really does sound like you just haven't studied and used your machine enough. It seems like I tell people 'watch the dvd that came with it' more that I should. I have found pennies at 8 inches with my Ace 250. Granted, it's not extremely common, it happens about once every time I go hunting. I would say the average deepest I find things is around 6 inches. The Ace 250 does seem, superficially, like a far simpler and basic machine than it really is, and it can do some really amazing things. Here's a video of another forum member giving a personal demonstration of the machine. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
EpsilonMinus said:
FatCat called it, I think, in regard to your problem. Put your machine off to the side of the location of the target and pinpoint TOWARD it, not ON it. As you get better at this you will learn how to do this, properly called 'detuning', closer and closer to the target for down to the inch pinpointing. It really does sound like you just haven't studied and used your machine enough. It seems like I tell people 'watch the dvd that came with it' more that I should. I have found pennies at 8 inches with my Ace 250. Granted, it's not extremely common, it happens about once every time I go hunting. I would say the average deepest I find things is around 6 inches. The Ace 250 does seem, superficially, like a far simpler and basic machine than it really is, and it can do some really amazing things. Here's a video of another forum member giving a personal demonstration of the machine. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry0fs1QFPCo

Thanks everyone for the help. It has been a while sense i watched the crackbadger videos, Garrett should buy the rights to them and put them on there website, and send them out as instruction manuals. I bought my ace in 05 and it did not come with a video, just a poorly written to pocketbook manual. So it sat in the closet most of 3 years, till I found His videos.

Let me be more specific in my problem, yesterday I got a qt reading at 8+ inches, I pinpoint and it says 4+ inches I dog a 5 inch diameter hole about 6 or 7 inches deep. I pinpoint again and it says Qt 4 inches deep and dead center of the hole. yes I do know how to de tune, My experience has been somewhere down that hole I will hit something big like a pop can. Did I give up to soon? Or dose my Ace have a problem? If you are digging pennies at 8 it makes me wonder. Thanks.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It is not uncommon for especially trash, but also treasures that are at weird angles to give you weird depth readings. This can also happen when your normal swing is fast but your pinpoint is slow. Another thing worth noting is that a big thing at 8 inches (a can, for example) will read similarly to a small thing at 4 inches. By 'Qt' I assume you mean quarter. With my machine, it has -never- lied to me regarding quarters, not at any depth. That's not to say it can't or won't eventually, but out of like 35-40 quarter digs, all have been accurate and at the pinpoint depth. For the most part, trash is what confuses detectors the most, but a difference in sweep vs. pinpoint depths isn't all that uncommon and you can almost always trust the pinpoint depth as the more accurate one. When I find 8 inch pennies it's because they are flat, as in parallel to the surface ground, as opposed to on their sides, which might give me a trash signal, or none at all, but bigger stuff than that should be a sure thing, so long as you're not swinging too fast. Check out the Garrett website for the official instructional videos, as well as youtube with a search for 'ace 250', you'll find lots of infos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions