ACE 250 FOR GOLD ?????

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Any metal detector can be used of to find Gold. But your odd will substantially rise when using a dedicated Gold machine. The ACE is an excellent general purpose entry level machine.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It would not do a very good job. Like, you wouldn't find grain-of-rice sized nuggets. They'd have to be bigger nuggets (pea sized and up perhaps?) which are not that common in nature. The electronics of a specialty nugget machine that can get down to pin-head sized nuggets, is different than the electronics of a coin/relic machine (where users don't want to be bothered by every single staple, BB, etc...)

OP
OP
G

Graw

Greenie
Nov 28, 2007
Hey
Thanks for the infro. I guess I'll go ahead and get the 250 . I'll be coin hunting more than anything else. My wife and I travel full time in our RV working in camp grounds right now were baby sitting a close camp Ground in Texas until APR. it works out for us free camping with full hook up . i have a very old radio shack MD. now Just thinking of whats out there gets me excited . will keep you posted on my fines later Graw ;D

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Graw, you'll have fun with the 250. It's lightweight and has great hobby electronics. Plant yourself a "garden" of coins, different depths, and learn how to read the 250. It's not hard. Just takes some getting used to, like all detectors. Go by the sounds more than the readings. I have one...

Enjoy your new lifestyle! If you're ever passing through NE Louisiana, let me know!

-Noodle

R

robert roy

You got yourself a decent detector.
By all means, if you can, if you have a place you can start a little test garden then by all means do it.
Now that it is winter (don't know what part of the country you live in) its a good time to start one.
By spring the metals will have enteracted with the soil to such an extent that when you test, you will have a better more accurate depth reading. Most people I have talked too say that its more difficult to find your coin in a freshly dug hole. I suppose that depends on how deep you dig those test holes. Even if its a 4inch hole you shuld be able to detect your coin regardless.

Like it was said by another member here, yes your machine will pick up gold nuggets, but the Ace 250 was not intended as a nugget hunting machine. You probably WILL find some nuggets. In fact recently the Garrett News Letter ( you can contanct Garrett and subscribe to it...I believe its free ) had a short piece about an Ace 250 owner who found a nice sized gold nugget in ALaska. Thats amazing considering how mereralized the soil is there.

After you have been MDing awhile and you decide you really like the hobby, you might want to invest in an all around MD machine like an MXT or one of the MineLabs....both excellent gold machines that not only does coin/jewelry and relic hunting but prospecting as well. Whites has a detecated GMT Goldmaster that is strickly a prospecting machine, but thats probably down the road for you I think? Fishers has some good gold machines too.

You'll have a lot of fun with the Ace 250. There are lots of MD forums to join as well. The old timers will be loads of help to you. Ask all the questions you want.

Happy HUnting.

Regards
Robert R

OP
OP
G

Graw

Greenie
Nov 28, 2007
Hey
thanks for replies . will keep you poster . Later Graw :D

Top Member Reactions