Ace 250 for nuggets??

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont know a lot about prospecting but i thought i read somewhere that the ace was not really cut out for nugget hunting.something about the set ground balance on it. i dont believe it deals with heavily minerilized soil very well.you may want to find a machine with manual ground balance.

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
I got into MDing a little over 2 yrs. ago with a Minelab Advantage. I didn't buy it for nuggets but found 4 little nuggets the 1st time out while still on the 1st set of batteries. Take it out and try it or test it with a natural nugget at home, most jewlery items are alloyed. If it can handle the mineralization and is sensitive enough it may work for casual use.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hot rocks,black sands,and heavy mineralized ground will drive ya crazy.Work only cracks in solid bedrock close to the water and you'll find something.I took a golden sabre out for kicks(strictly coin machine,but tons better than a 250)and found a nice 1 1/2 ozer in a huge tailings pile full a iron junk.It had notch and I set it to fing gold only.Do it!! Get a gold machine to REALLY have a ball.Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
I was sure I wasn't the only one who hoped my Ace 250 would also be a suitable nugget machine! Just took me a while to find this posting thread. ::)

Long story short....I got 2 nuggets, one 1.7 gm the other 3.6 gm and tried them with my Ace 250 with the 9X12 coil yesterday. I couldn't get a solid signal at 4" in an air test on either nugget. Trying both was a little better, but the coil had to be about 2" from them (again, in air) for them to register a solid target tone. DRAT! :(

Oh well, it's still the hottest thing going for coins and jewelry. Guess it's time to consider a Lobo SuperTraq for the small gold.

HH, ya'll!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try out a Gold Bug 2,beg,borrow,rent or steal. I have GB2 & LST for real trasy areas,smallest coils are the best for weight,ease a use and getting it all!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
John, the GB2 was among my top 3 finalists in researching gold detectors. The other 2 were the Lobo ST (#1) and the MXT (tied for 2nd with the GB2). No final decision made yet, so all input would be appreciated.

The Lobo ST, btw, was #1 for a few of reasons: Lifetime warranty, optional manual/automatic ground balancing and sensitivity. The only other detector I've had experience with is the Ace 250. I really like the readouts on the Ace and the MXT seems to have similar (but different) readout.

HH, ya'll!

gold wish

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
I did some reserch and this was found with the ace 250 (I love my ace 250)
HH, gold wish

Attachments

• jg6s.jpg
    jg6s.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 576

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread