Ace 250 help

Mattkoz

Aug 1, 2009
Southeastern, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hi, im not new here, i was previously Alkoz but thats my dads name and he is getting a metal detector( Ace 250 also) so I can have my own username so we both can post here. But my question is about my ACE 250 metal detector. I've had it for a few months and am having trouble with it ( plus im 14 so i dont have much patience). When i get a signal it will bounce around to at least 4 different metals. And when i sometimes get a coin signal it wil end up being a nail or piece of iron or foil. It is really comfusing so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

MeanGene

Jul 3, 2009
Easthampton, MA
With the helpful tips you guys have posted I have been doing alot better and digging far less nails!

Heres a tip: If i scan my target along the X axis and then turn my body and scan it on the Y axis it should ring SOLID ID both ways. Both ways. If it only rings through one way, then i know its trash.
I have also mastered figuring out the targets shape. Whether its long or small and round. I did this using a De-Tuneing method i saw on youtube.

These are probably already discussed but I wanted to share them to hopefully spare someone my past agony.

Goodluck.
GENE

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4-H is right.

Especially on deeper targets, which with the 250 is any coin over 4 inches, signals can get mighty quirky - Much past that, they get weaker and weaker, then vanish all together.
Not saying don't cherrypick or not to use discrimination/target id to advantage, but theres very few things in this hobby that stand true 100% of the time.

I like to use the size of the pinpoint to determine if its at least a coin sized object, if it fits the profile I'll dig it up, no matter if the signal is sporadic or not.
I've plucked quite a few goodies out of the ground that way, and probably would have moved on if I was going by signal alone.

MeanGene

Jul 3, 2009
Easthampton, MA
Wow.

See what I mean by my lack of experience with my detector. It seemed to me as tho that was a good rule of thumb. Guees not, glad i mentioned so.

I may as well just dig most things then. And be careful to examine the way the machine responds prior to digging, that way i can learn the signals coupled with the outcome of the find.

My main motivation is to not dig any nails although i know that is wishful thinking. I am just sick of nails! SICK! haha

thanks
GENE

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have the right idea Gene, insofar as keeping mental notes in various scenarios on how the machine alerts, and what is dug up as a result.
Most people probably do this subconsciously when learning any tool, but its good to come out and think about it, that is progress.

Different scenarios call for different solutions but, by and large, the key to success with just about any detector, but in particular the 250, is slow, overlapping sweeps ,,, And sometimes digging spotty signals.

Try burying a penny at 5-6 inches, see how it acts.
You'll likely get barely a signal, but sometimes "barely a signal" is just what you are after.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread