Ace 250 Metal Detector coil sweep rate.

trminton

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Hey guys,

New user here too btw. I used to have several older style metal detectors such as a cheap all metal radio shack model, a VLF radio shack and traded that for a Whites 4000/D. Love the Whites and found a good bit of coins with it when I used it. Well that was 20 years ago and now the bug has hit me again so I bought an Ace 250 from Garrett. After about 3 trips, I have found about $2.00 in clad coins so this thing rocks!

I have noticed that some people have different ways of using their detectors such as sweeping the coil at a fast rate, using a zig zag patter instead of a sweeping arc and will tape their coil wire straight against the rod holding the coil. When I had the Whites 4000/D, I used a sweeping arc and did not have a very fast rate. I still do pretty much the same thing so I was wondering if it would be better to speed things up a bit by increasing my walk and sweep rate? These new detectors use a different technology than the older ones I used to own so what do you guys recommend?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
well that is a bit technical for me, lol but you don't want to move too fast because the recovery time is somewhat slow on the ACe.

OP
OP
trminton

trminton

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Sounds good to me. It seems to work for me at the moment. I am good about keeping the coil low to the ground without lifting it and I go at a comfortable pace but not too slow or fast.

I was also considering buying the sniper coil and 10x14 DD excelerator coil. Would those be worthwhile investments for coin hunting?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the sniper is useful for working in trashy areas (with its small size theres less co mingling with other items --thus better seperation") and in tot lot type places it allows you to get closer to equiptment and such without freaking out ;

haven't used the dd coil myself -- however the larger type "normal" coil 9 x 12 however doesn't get that much more depth than the stock coil ,it just covers a bigger surface area than the stock coil does.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have had my Ace for 3 years, and just put on the 10 x 14 a few months ago. This thing is great. I may never take it off. Goes deeper, but what I like the best is how much more ground you can cover. My finds have increased due to covering more ground in a day.

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a SEF butterfly search coil off the ebayUK website, I think it's 13 x 15 or something like that . It's awsome, my only complaint is that it takes a toll on your wrist although I never use my arm strap like I should. You definitely get much more depth.
Oh, one other complaint..... pinpointing is a bit tricky since it covers such a big space.

OP
OP
trminton

trminton

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
I will probably upgrade to a better detector soon. The ace has really started up the bug again. After about 8 hours worth of searching, I have about 4 dollars worth of coins. Nothing old though, just clad.

I can't decide to stick witg Garrett and get a GTI 2500 or go to Tesoro, Minelab or Whites.

Trever

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread