Ace 250 tells the truth about a half...first time

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Today I was at a new location that I found on a satellite search of google. It was a sports complex I found just off a road I travel frequently and I never knew it was there. Six baseball diamonds a snack bar and restroom facilities. I arrived to find the complex completely deserted with weeds growing up everywhere.

The cinderblock dugouts and buildings looked to date from the 40's or 50's (just my impression). I started to hunt and began hittting signals immediately. The sun was very hot and I hunted for about 2 hours before I had had enough of the heat and humidity. In that time I dug more than 100 coins for a total of $8.73 in clad including the 74 Kennedy half below. The half rang up as a half at 4 inches, well I've seen that signature too many times but the little yellow fellow insisted that this time it was sure the half was there...so...I dug it and for the first time I pulled up a half dollar. 1974 Kennedy.

The good thing about all that clad in two hours is this...I had only hunted a portion of one diamond...leaving still 5 and half more diamonds to search. I'll be hitting this site again and again and...

HH
MichiganRob

Attachments

• 74Kennedy.jpg
    74Kennedy.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 904
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just in time for the Fall Rob.....all that junk should be dying off soon.Best of luck and Congrat's on the Half and 100+ coin's :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice half dollar. I am looking forward to your future posts.
Dman

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I have recently dug a solid silver and two silver plated buckles which the Ace said were either a half or dollar coin
I got ready to dig an old can and Bam! -so I can understand your surprise
Looks like you found a great site -I bet you'll find silver and jewelry there

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Being a fellow 250-er, half dollar and dollar signals have always been can slaw or a metal pipe for me. Guess you just NEVER know

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob,
Your 250 is incapable of lying. You just have to listen to what it is telling you. It is a good machine. Good work on the ballfields! TTC

OP
OP
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
TerryC said:
Rob,
Your 250 is incapable of lying. You just have to listen to what it is telling you. It is a good machine. Good work on the ballfields! TTC

I know it doesn't really lie, over the time I have had the machine it has rung up 50c and dollar hits many times: it usually turns out to be can slaw or some such junk. Honestly though those signals are suspect from the beginning as the signal jumps around and doesn't sound right but this is the first time it actually found a half dollar and the signal was true it didn't jump around and the audio was definate. I was just having some fun at the 250's expense as I am sure that all owners of this machine have had dollar and half hits that turn out to be junk. Thanx for stopping by and...

HH
MichiganRob

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love when the detector says "half dollar", my first reply is always, "yeah right", but ya gotta dig. Good stuff,
CurbdiggerCarl

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MichiganRob said:
TerryC said:
Rob,

I know it doesn't really lie, over the time I have had the machine it has rung up 50c and dollar hits many times: it usually turns out to be can slaw or some such junk. Honestly though those signals are suspect from the beginning as the signal jumps around and doesn't sound right but this is the first time it actually found a half dollar and the signal was true it didn't jump around and the audio was definate. I was just having some fun at the 250's expense as I am sure that all owners of this machine have had dollar and half hits that turn out to be junk. Thanx for stopping by and...

HH
MichiganRob
BINGO!!!!
That's exactly the point! Rock solid i.d. cursor.... no jumping.... and good noise. That's it in a nut shell. That is the key to the 250... and most other vlf's. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread