ACE-250 Unconventional Use

OscarG

Oct 14, 2007
New Jersey, USA
I am looking for a MD for some unconventional use, but would also like to end up with something that could let me explore this hobby with some level of success. I had read a lot of the reviews for more expensive detectors, but the ACE-250 sounds like a great bang for the buck.

So, what I want to do first is:
  • find some "iron stake" property markers long ago lost to the brush and ground
  • explore an old barn site on this property for artifacts
  • identify old vineyard trellis wire (steel) that has fallen to the ground and become overgrown before wrapping it around my mower spindle (about 8 acres)

After that, maybe take up some of the more conventional coin and artifact hunting.

Am I looking at an appropriate machine for what I need to accomplish?

As an aside, I have learned more about MDing from this site in the last couple weeks than I ever expected! Great resource and most entertaining. Thanks to all.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the ace250should be able to do what you need for the 3 items that you list -- and is not too much money --not a bad starter machine -- some old timers really like em due to thier light weight and they work fairly good too --- Ivan

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard Oscar, Glad to have you here.

I have heard great things about the ACE 250. I honestly do not have one personally, but from what I have heard, the ACE 250 should fit the bill nicely. Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of your finds.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Oscar...I have an Ace 250 and use it quite often. I have found several property line stakes with it for a buddy of mine and have found several thousand coins with it in the last 9 months. I also use a whites machine but when I want to hit tot lots or places with a lot of trash I use the Ace with the sniper coil. If you like coinshooting, you can't go wrong with this one. HH and GL

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I've been hunting since 1984 and I have had many detectors. Some that have ALL the bells and whistles. I chose to hunt with the simpler, lighter powerful machines. The 250 can kick most top end machines butt. Get one ordered today. Also if you are planning on coin shooting buy the sniper coil at the same time. You will be very happy.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Unless the metal stakes are more then abou 8 inches deep, the ACE should get them with the stock coil.

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
HI Oscar,
I Have had the same problem in my garden (once was a vine) and my ACE wouldn't be bad with rusty iron wires and other trash. Good depth and sensitivity who compare not bad with more expensive units. You will need some practice to understand exactly what's below because rusty trash produce a lot of erratic signals....but this will help you as well if you're looking right for it ;D. Then that cool high tone in both the sweep directions will let you fly.....

Goood hunts
Melv

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
I've been hunting since 1984 and I have had many detectors. Some that have ALL the bells and whistles. I chose to hunt with the simpler, lighter powerful machines. The 250 can kick most top end machines butt. Get one ordered today. Also if you are planning on coin shooting buy the sniper coil at the same time. You will be very happy.
thanks for the endorsement Khouse....i HOPE ;D ;D to have a 250 under the tree this year!!!!!

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
My ACE unconventional use ;D:

1) found old water line pipes under the ground and the concrete floor...nice results;D ;D 'till appeared the iron net >:(
2) localized a gold ring in a black plastic drain pipe ....I've marked the right point to cut and then... let the owner search
for it in the pipe itself ;D ;D

OP
OP
OscarG

OscarG

Oct 14, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Thanks all for the great feedback... guessing I will get my letter to Santa off tonight, hope he doesn't pay too much attention to the naughty and nice list. Since the property is 300 miles away and I probably won't get back up there until April or so, I should be able to log some practice time before then. Happy hunting and Holidays to come!!

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 250 will definitely work for what you want to use it for. I used mine to find 2 of my property markers with the deepest being about 10 inches. Also, I've found countless yards of barb wire without even trying ;D so you shouldn't have any problem locating the vineyard wire. You'll have fun looking for relics around your barn and who knows, you might just come across that find that will cause you to become a detecting addict. :o :P
Good Luck,
Ed

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to rock the Garrett boat, but...

A Tesoro Silver µMax with a 12 x 10 coil will get around twice the depth of the Ace, for not a lot of extra money. You would give up the display however.

Just something to think about. :D

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread