Ace 250 wierdness?!?

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 :: Tesoro Compadre :: Equinox 800
Hello Everyone,
I'll do my best to make this understandable. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this "weirdness" with their ace250.
Occasionally, I'll swing over a nice sounding target, i look down at the display for the return swing and as I get the belltone the display blanks out. Not the notch ID, but the target ID and the depth both go blank. It happens about once an outing...that i notice. Today, I had a nice repeatable instance of it, only over one target. I couldn't dig it(didn't want to is more like it, it was reading 8" and just wasn't the right time to make a big pile of dirt) as the local LEO came by and stopped to watch until I left.
Anyone else have this occur?
Beagle

D REX

Greenie
Oct 21, 2005
My ace 250 also doesnt lock onto the last item scanned over. My Bounty Hunter did, but with the ace, you have to keep your eye on the display.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
No, my ace "locks" onto the last target. For about 4 seconds.
What i'm getting, is when the belltone sounds i can watch the display blank out.
The incident today was the first repeatable time. It would read and sound in one direction, in the other it would sound, but as it sounds those display segments go out, and I get no reading.
thanks
Beagle

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Sounds like a trip to Garrett when the snows on the ground. Mine has never done that. Have you tried resetting the detector? Push and hold the power button for about 5 seconds untill you here it beep.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Beagle,you have some iron ore,or some other ground disturbance,mine does the same thing.You get a "Phantom signal"
Tone on first swing,nothing on the return.In this area we have a high deposit of iron,drives me nuts.
Are you hunting the same area,or different ones? Try it in a new area,away from the one you have been hunting.Hope this helps.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
papa said:
Beagle,you have some iron ore,or some other ground disturbance,mine does the same thing.You get a "Phantom signal"
Tone on first swing,nothing on the return.In this area we have a high deposit of iron,drives me nuts.
Are you hunting the same area,or different ones? Try it in a new area,away from the one you have been hunting.Hope this helps.

I get tone on both swings. but I can watch the display go out on the return
Beagle

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Are you sure that the ID is just not on another block. Meaning one way you may get a nickel ID then the other way you get a penny? Are you saying the whole screen goes blank every other swing?

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
khouse said:
Are you sure that the ID is just not on another block. Meaning one way you may get a nickel ID then the other way you get a penny? Are you saying the whole screen goes blank every other swing?
khouse,
Sorta, One way is normal, the other way, I get tone, but the tid and depth go out. The notch segments stay lit.
Beagle

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hello Beagle,
It's hard to picture exactly what the problem is through reading/writing. At certain points what you describe sounds normal, at others it doesn't. I think the best I can do to help you out is describe normal operation. When you swing over a target with the 250, you will hear the bell-tone and instantly, the Target ID will light up the notch (Bottom) it thinks the target may be, in sync with the depth bar. This will happen on your screen for approximately 2 seconds and will then disappear. You will be left with a fresh clean screen with no clue as to what you detected in the past 10 seconds or at what depth it was. Unlike the BH 1100 I started with or the 2200 that I have, this is the way the 250 behaves. It can definately wear your neck out at times. I will try in the next day or two to make a short video of this so you can compare and see if it's the same way yours is operating. What may also be occuring is that you are getting a good ID in one direction, but a really bad one with intereference from either something in the ground or the air (Powerlines, etc). If you hear a sort of cut-off sound during a swing and/or the TID jumping from right quickly to left, chances are you might be getting some sort of interference. I've gotten some pretty whacky readings from time to time. One more thing that pops into my mind is...........are you using headphones? Something tells me you may not and although your batteries are charged, everytime the belltone sounds, it draws enough juice to dim out your screen? If you are using headphones, can the problem be replicated with brand new good quality batteries?

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the replies,
I put a few visuals together to assist in understanding.
I always wear headphones, and always run in all metal mode and the battery indicator says the batts are ok.
This does not happen often, and i've only had it repeat on one target.

ok, swing right to left, nice belltone, display is right on.
wid.JPG

immediately swing left to right, nice belltone, as the belltone sounds the display goes to this. I can watch the display blank out as the tone sounds.
noid.JPG

Thanks again, I hope this helps.
Beagle

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
All I can say is that if it beeps and it doesn't light up a target block then somethings wrong. You need to send it in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread