Ace 250

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Ahhh...the old beer can signal. No detector can really eliminate this signal, but most will give you clues. The ace250 is limited in its abilities but with practice you'll know what I mean. Most beer cans will register high on the scale but sometimes the signal will dance around and usually sounds off very abruptly. If you truly did find a silver dollar, the machine should lock on and sound really "smooth". The bell tone on the ace is hard to tell sometimes though. Keep diggin' you'll get what the yeller feller is telling you!!!!!

Greg

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
Hey Rosco161, I also have a 250 and the best advice is to dig everything until you start to distinguish the sounds of the yeller feller. greglo1 is right . Any detector has to be used a lot to learn what they're are telling you. The ACE is probably one of the best "cheap" detectors to learn with, I've had mine about 2 years and because I don't get out as often as I should I'm still learnin' it and lovin' it. HH....George

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
When you pinpoint or sweep the target and its a large target such as a can you'll notice that the signal area is quite large, that tells you that its not a coin. Most all coins will have a smaller signal area. Unfortunately cans and can slaw, and some tabs are going to come up as coins. Dig it all, and try to look and listen for those subtle differences in the signal.

OP
OP
R

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks everyone. I love every minute I am out there.... I told my son it reminds me of fishing, you never know what you got until you reel it in..... Thanks again for all the advise.

Rosco

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My personal experience is that anything registering as a $1 or 50-cents is bogus.
Fellas I know report getting maybe ONE 50-cent piece in a year. The other 99% of
the time it's a bottle cap or something.

Not much advice I can give, as you don't want to take the chance of missing a real
good find.
I would get a real 50-cent piece and see how the machine responds to that,
how the signal is more steady. Jiggle the controls too - it does take practice
but you CAN learn to distinguish the junk from the real stuff.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sqwaby said:
When you pinpoint or sweep the target and its a large target such as a can you'll notice that the signal area is quite large, that tells you that its not a coin. Most all coins will have a smaller signal area. Unfortunately cans and can slaw, and some tabs are going to come up as coins. Dig it all, and try to look and listen for those subtle differences in the signal.

Good point. The size does matter when you pin point. Coins are very short for as a can be will be much larger. That will be a good indicator

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
When pinpointing over the target, lift the machine. If you keep getting a signal 8" or so above the target, it is probably not a coin, it is something large.

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
UncleVinnys said:
My personal experience is that anything registering as a $1 or 50-cents is bogus.
Fellas I know report getting maybe ONE 50-cent piece in a year. The other 99% of
the time it's a bottle cap or something.

Not much advice I can give, as you don't want to take the chance of missing a real
good find.
I would get a real 50-cent piece and see how the machine responds to that,
how the signal is more steady. Jiggle the controls too - it does take practice
but you CAN learn to distinguish the junk from the real stuff.

I've had a couple sterling rings hit as a 50 cent piece on the 'ol ace as well as dollar. True that it was a steady consistent tone that did not jump when it was a ring or silver coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread