Best Rechargeable Battery system?

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody, I am looking to get AA rechargeable batteries to use in my Garrett machines( Ace 250 and GTI 2500). I just want to know if you use rechargeables, what type and charger do you use. I know how rechargeables can be but with the Ace using 4 and the GTI using 8, batteries get expensive. If you have used any types with good or bad results please reply. Thanks for your time and HH!!!!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Energizer charging system with 4 AA batteries. They will not last as long as the other AA batteries but should be enough to get through a days hunt with the Ace. The Ace is very very very good on batteries. Good luck and let me know which ones you decide to use.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I've been using rechargeable batteries in my Minelab Explorers for years.

The best advice I can give you is to buy as high a mah rated NIMH battery as you can. Typical AA alkaline batteries are roughly equal to 1800 mah. I usually use 2500 mah or higher as these will have more storage and last longer in my machine.

Buy name brand batteries like Eveready or others as these will be closer to there advertised mah rating. You can usually get a good deal at Walmart on these.

I also use a good charger. I use a Maha MH-C777PlusII Battery Charger. They are kind of pricey but charge fast, can discharge your pack, have adjustable contacts to fit most metal detector and other battery packs. This way you don't have to take them in and out of the packs to charge them.
Here is a link to the charger:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-c777plus.htm

Charged batteries don't always hold a charge well so always give them a charge the night before you go hunting.

Jeff

I

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with the Maha charger. You'll never need another charger after that one. It also has a sensor that allows you to put it on the side of the pack/battery you are charging and if it gets too warm it will turn everything off. The charger is so good I've never had that happen. It's a charger that's used by many HAM radio folks and they have numerous and weird battery packs. NiMh is the only way to go. Forget the Nicads. The charger has a conditioner that has revived many a battery that others were trashing because they thought the battery was toast. When it discharges it tells you how many Ma hours it had taken out. If the amount that goes out and the amount that goes in is a lot less than the rated capacity, it's and indicator that your battery is going to need replacement soon. Regards...Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread