Ace 350 erratic beeping

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an Ace 350 last October and it has given me nothing but problems. The erratic beeping used to come and go and now it does it all the time. Tried the factory reset multiple times, new batteries, cleaned the coil, tightened the small screw on the military style plug. I have to turn the sensitivity down to 3 or 4 and when I dig a target I have to turn it off or it goes crazy when I lay it down. I've tried multiple locations, no interference, no cell phone or belts. It will show a good hard coin target from all angles and I come up with nothing or it will show a coin target and It ends up being a square nail. Any help or info is appreciated.

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the coin hit coming up with nothing, or a nail is not uncommon. Iron objects, if they are on end especially can fool some detectors. Coins, will OFTEN seem to disappear as you dig them... either they get flipped on end which makes them disappear, or they fall from the side of the hole down deep into the hole where they are out of range... best thing to do is take a few more scoops, then spread the dirt to make sure it's not on end.

As for the erratic behavior, that isn't normal. My 350 did act up once in awhile... it would start beeping like mad just random hits all over the place. I found that it only did it in my back yard... near the power lines.

Also, when the batteries got low it would do it also.

If you have tried multiple locations and still need to run the sens down that low it very likely has an issue. Mine never went nuts when I was digging unless my blade or pinpointer was within range.

Speaking of interference.. once time I was playing with a solar panel connected to an audio amplifier. I pointed it at my laptop screen and got clear audible data... like a modem ... I recognized the sound of it. It was the (other) HAM radio operator 3 blocks from me doing RTTY (an early digital radio mode).

His transmission was either modulating the power (less likely but possible), or my lcd screen was picking up his transmission like an antenna (more likely). It came in clearly as optical modulation on the solar panel but you could see nothing unusual on the screen.

RF noise is everywhere even where you don't expect it.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Garrett's Ace serious are just that, erratic, binging and beeping all the time. They're not very stable running machines. I thought I had a problem with mine but after trying everything to fix this, nothing worked. Changing coils did nothing. I've heard so many of the same complaints about the Aces doing this. Just how they perform.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a loose coil wire (on the plug or in the coil). If you bought it new, it has a two year guarantee. I'd call Garrett.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried several packs of new batteries and multiple locations. I think there's a loose wire or problem with the coil. I sent Garrett an email and received a vague response saying thanks for being a customer, and asked what state I was in. Haven't received anything back in days. Thanks for the advice everyone. Are there some other options y'all recommend better than the 350 that won't break the bank?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried several packs of new batteries and multiple locations. I think there's a loose wire or problem with the coil. I sent Garrett an email and received a vague response saying thanks for being a customer, and asked what state I was in. Haven't received anything back in days. Thanks for the advice everyone. Are there some other options y'all recommend better than the 350 that won't break the bank?

Garrett Metal Detectors Warranty and Registration Form

The Ace 350 is not that bad of a machine but it is an entry level machine. I did pretty well with mine before upgrading to an AT Pro.

Despite what someone else said it shouldn't go nuts when you set it down. Where are you located? Are you searching somewhere with heavily mineralized soil?

If you stick a magnet in the dirt does it come up with a bunch of stuff stuck to it?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You will do a lot better to call them and talk to them .. I know that ones do not like to talk to others now a days they just want to Email or Text ...BUT in this case you will do a lot better to call and talk... 1-972-494-6151 ...

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call them and explain it. they are very good to talk to. You may need to send it in. I had an Ace 250 and never had a minutes problem with it once I learned how to use it. It was a coin hound. I paid for in in 60 days of hunting. New users often times have trouble with their detectors until they understand them a bit. I am not sure if the 350 is auto ground balance or manual but that could be the issue

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, not a bad machine at all. It's always freaked out so I thought that's just how the 350 is until it got worse. The soil around here is high in iron, I've tried several locations a few miles away with the same result. So the AT Pro is the one to get? Are there any other make or models worth checking out? I am going to call Garrett today, thank you for the number Keppy. You guys are awesome!

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Garrett and they are sending another coil. We'll see if that fixes it. I wanted to upgrade to the AT Pro and Garrett said they won't accept returns towards upgrades on old machines. Also, they are discontinuing the 350 production and coming out with the Ace 400 which will have iron audio discrimination and digital numbers like the AT Pro and they are raising the price.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you wrapping your coil wire tight around your pole? Sometimes if it's too loose it will make the detector sound off or false.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, everything is tight and where it should be. I'm hoping it's not a control box issue.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the coil cover off and rinse out the dirt between it and the actual coil itself. Sometimes it gets packed in there............make sure that the coil wire isn't slapping the rod or grass etc........... try turning sens down a tad.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the coil cover off and rinse out the dirt between it and the actual coil itself. Sometimes it gets packed in there............make sure that the coil wire isn't slapping the rod or grass etc........... try turning sens down a tad.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My At Pro did the same thing yesterday. At the same time it was showing a low battery. I knew that I had just changed the battery so I took the battery pack out and I had 2 of the batteries facing in the wrong direction and once I reversed them it went back to working normally. Its probably not your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check just in case . Let us know if you figure out the problem and good luck!

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Metal Detectors Warranty and Registration Form

The Ace 350 is not that bad of a machine but it is an entry level machine. I did pretty well with mine before upgrading to an AT Pro.

Despite what someone else said it shouldn't go nuts when you set it down. Where are you located? Are you searching somewhere with heavily mineralized soil?

If you stick a magnet in the dirt does it come up with a bunch of stuff stuck to it?

I ordered a rare earth magnet on eBay so I'll check the soil when it gets here and the new coil is supposed to be delivered today. I tried a corn field yesterday and dropped the sensitivity down to 3 cause It was freakin out. Had some strong coin hits, the kind that make the headphone speakers rattle and came up with nothing. If anyone is in Ohio and wants to do some tekkin, I could use a few tips!

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New coil arrived today and still the same problem. I'm over the Garretts. Looking for a real hobby metal detector around $500/$600. Any recommendations?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Garrett AT pro. No seriously the Ace series are just frustrating once you've learned them and can't handle the constant false dinging you finally are wanting something more stable and better. I still use my Ace 250 but once I got my AT pro, it was so much better. No more constant binging when swinging with false signals. Great machine for 500-600$ range with the ability to hunt in the water and when the rain comes and everyone leaves the beach, those are the days I like, the whole beach to myself. More gold is found in the water and wet sand so why not go with a land and water proof detector.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, that's what I'd like to do is hunt some creeks and beaches. Any specific coil that you like or is a must have?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread