Ace 9x12 coil????

R

robert roy

How many of you have used the 9x12 ACe coil and what do you think?

I used mine for the first time today. First I ari tested it with sensitivity at about 4 and I have to say I am dissaointed. I couldn't get 3 inches on the dime or quarter. I had to rachet the sensitivity all the way up to get anywhere near 7 to 8 inches. That doesn't sound right to me. ???

Then I took it out to a ball field I have never detected on before. The ground wa frozen...hard as concrete, but I spent two hours swinging the coil and surveying the area. Lots of good steady targets but I'm afraid that based on the air test I may be missing anything deper than 4 inches. All the targets I zeroed in on all showed depth of 2-4 inches, which is normal but I know there are deeper targets in those ball fields. I have taken my MXT to some of these ball fields and have gotten targets at 5-6 inches.

Either theres something wrong with my coil or the coils are ALL like this. My standard 6x9 seems to do beter.

Anyone have similar experiences with the 9x12?

Regards
Robert R ???

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
On my Ace 250 in a air test i got about 5 1/2 inches on a dime and a little over 6 inches on a Quarter............................................==Jim==

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Well, I have to wonder if the dang coil is any good!
Robert R

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That doesn't sound correct. I use mine often, especially in the winter. I get much better results with mine. It is also very sensitive to tiny objects just like the smaller coil. Call Melinda at Garrett and she will help you with your coil. She is great!

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Yea, I just e-mailed her, but I think I'll just return it and use the money for something else. I
don't really need the thing anyway. My standard coil seems more than adequate.

Robert R

OP
OP
R

robert roy

BTW
I called Garrett today about the 9x12 coil, yesterday. The rep did an air test and we compared notes.
My 9x12 IS way off! The standard coil is ok, however.

We made sure we wee air testing the coil the same way. We stood the machine on end, used a plastic ruler and ran our coins over the coil looking at the measurement at eye level. This is very accurate. BTW if you do it this way make sure your not wearing a wrist watch.

Regards
Robert R

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
I would think it would go a little deeper - however the main focus with this coil is that you can cover more ground faster with the larger coil. Also the larger the coil is - the better the coil will pick up larger objects in the ground (deeper). The larger coils (12 inches and larger) lose sensitivity to smaller objects.

Bavarianminister

OP
OP
R

robert roy

>>>>>The larger coils (12 inches and larger) lose sensitivity to smaller objects.<<<<<<

Bavarianminister:

Yes, this is so, however, the fact that our air tests differed so drastically indicated that the coil is indeed defective. We compared the air test with the standard coil and the measurements fell right into normal parameters so we know its not my control box on the Ace.

I would really like to see an intermediate size concentric coil say, anywhere from 6 to 8 inches. The more people ask Garrett about putting one out the more likely the possibility of getting one.

Robert R

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
thanks ~ and thanks to jeff for guiding me to the proper location.
i was thinking of purchasing this coil to enhance my 250.
85 bucks is a lot for a couple extra inches in depth.

the stock coil does a fine job and is great for getting into tite spots.
im thinking i will keep it. :)

if theres anybody out there who has done exceptionally better with the 9 x 12 please post. thanks

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I use a 9x12 but I save it for beaches and farm feilds exclusively. Also I would like to say I get 71/2 inches on a dime with my standard coil air test 8 inches on a dime with the 9x12. I get 81/2 on a quarter with the standard coil and 10+ inches on a quarter with the 9x12. I cheat I replaced the lower shaft with a wooden dowel. :wink:

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
MD Dog said:
I use a 9x12 but I save it for beaches and farm feilds exclusively. Also I would like to say I get 71/2 inches on a dime with my standard coil air test 8 inches on a dime with the 9x12. I get 81/2 on a quarter with the standard coil and 10+ inches on a quarter with the 9x12. I cheat I replaced the lower shaft with a wooden dowel. :wink:

thats genius/ md ! ~ it should be obvious to me but is there a considerable advantage to using the wooden dowel ? am i thinking wrong that it would give you less false hits ?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
No I don't get fewer false hits if you mean things like botle caps or pull tabs, I still get plenty of them. :'(

But I do get better depth even though I don't think I really need it. Just tried testing the air tests on both coils while coils were off of the shaft and found the air tests were deeper so I fitted a dowel and went from there.
Keep in mind any percieved accuracy you might have about the accuracy of the Ace's readout of depth will be way off, which in my humble opinion it never was accurate. Nor was the Target ID so you may find yourself digging deeper for the same false targets or shall we say pull tabs. It also seems to mess with the ID to some degree because I get Iron deposit hits which I shouldn't with Iron decriminated out but I don't mind since I got the rest of my life to dig these holes. As long as my good find ratio stays at around 10% I'm happy.

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
gotcha....................

the pinpointer / id seems to be dead on some days and others it makes you want to pull your hair out. :wink: (on the ace 250)

im sure it has something to do with conditions all around.

i cant wait to get out their and dig some holes..........
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread