Acleoni Bracelet Turquoise (sugulite?)

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Stamped 980 Acleoni

Turquoise and (I believe) sugulite. Wondering about time period & value.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584582712.243659.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584582731.645038.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584582773.784617.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584582784.923634.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1584582800.723957.jpg

OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! I have taken a look at all of their current work, but unfortunately the website does not include much historical information. I have submitted a request through their contact form to see if I can speak with someone there.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! I have taken a look at all of their current work, but unfortunately the website does not include much historical information. I have submitted a request through their contact form to see if I can speak with someone there.
Good luck! Hope they can help with at least some background.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice piece!

The first Sugelite/Lavulite didn't arrive in the U.S. until 1981 when Randy Polk imported the first batch of raw stone from the Kalahari in South Africa. I helped him clean and sort that material.

The first Sugelite Turquoise jewelry wasn't available for sale until early the following year. Those first batches of raw Sugelite were much better quality than the material in your bracelet.

The 980 designation indicates it's probably from Taxco, Mexico. Very few U.S. jewelers work in 980 silver since it is softer than 925 sterling. I doubt your piece could have been made before 1985 or so.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! I saw on their website that the Acleoni brand started in 1986. Do you suppose they were making things with that name prior to 86? Also, Iā€™ve seen some Acleoni pieces with purple stones referred to as lapis or ā€œpurple turquoiseā€ - are those misidentifications! This isnā€™t one of the sentimental pieces so Iā€™ll be cleaning it up and gifting or selling this one.

Thank you again Clay! Youā€™ll be happy to know that Iā€™ve made some great connections here in Oregon as Iā€™ve learned about grandpaā€˜s collection, and it is my intention to start attending one of the local clubs and see if I canā€™t get myself out hunting for my own finds!

Iā€™ve definitely got the bug!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are welcome Bridgetown.

It's a good bug to have in my opinion. I caught the bug when I was 6 years old. There's always more to learn and explore with minerals. :thumbsup:

Lapis is blue - always. Turquoise is never purple. I guess you could dye them a different color but I don't see why anyone would do that?

A club is a good way to get started with your local gems and minerals. Nothing like experience and a pointy finger to give you a good start. Oregon has some really cool minerals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions