Action Cams With Audio Options?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, question for you guys, maybe you can help direct me? I want to start doing more "live video & audio" in my videos so I'm looking for a compact cam that will allow me to record audio both inside and outside my headphones so everyone can also hear what I'm hearing inside the headphones, even if I have to apply a little ingenuity to get that done. I went online and searched "action cams" and I was surprised to see just how many were available these days so I thought I'd put this out here to get some feedback on ideas, experience, etc. Thanks!

PS: Love to save whenever I can.

Upvote 0

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
You could use a GoPro but you would have to also invest in a mic adapter and I think you would need to get a little creative with branching. I can't remember what machine you are swinging so not sure of the connection type but you would need to split the headphones as one branch. You would also need to branch in a separate mic to hear everything else since the external mic on the GoPro would likely be killed once the adapter is plugged in.

Not sure if the mic adapter requires the GoPro to be out of the case. If it does, there isn't much value in paying for the GoPro.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could use a GoPro but you would have to also invest in a mic adapter and I think you would need to get a little creative with branching. I can't remember what machine you are swinging so not sure of the connection type but you would need to split the headphones as one branch. You would also need to branch in a separate mic to hear everything else since the external mic on the GoPro would likely be killed once the adapter is plugged in.

Not sure if the mic adapter requires the GoPro to be out of the case. If it does, there isn't much value in paying for the GoPro.

I've seen a few in use where they're toggling back and forth between external and internal but I'd really like to be able (have the option) to have both active at the same time?

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No adaptor is needed if your cam is mounted to the ear cup. Vibrations carry thru to the cam, specially if your using headphones with Piezo buzzers.

Last edited:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I've seen a few in use where they're toggling back and forth between external and internal but I'd really like to be able (have the option) to have both active at the same time?

Using splitters in succession should avoid toggling... that being said, the amount of sound going in would be huge. Some toggling would maybe allow you to isolate the headphone sound. Maybe a switch to shut off the external mic occasionally (or simply unplug)?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No adaptor is needed if your cam is mounted to the ear cup. Vibrations carry thru to the cam, specially if your using headphones with Piezo buzzers.

Got a picture of that cam/headphone setup handy? I just re-packed my headphones to kill even more of the ambient noise so I'm sure there's less noise getting out as well. I'll have to do some checking on that to see how much can be still be heard escaping the headphones?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a picture of that cam/headphone setup handy? I just re-packed my headphones to kill even more of the ambient noise so I'm sure there's less noise getting out as well. I'll have to do some checking on that to see how much can be still be heard escaping the headphones?

Yep, just tried it and my camera won't pickup the audio inside the headphones.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, just tried it and my camera won't pickup the audio inside the headphones.
Here are pics from maybe 9 years ago of the first couple setups I used, always worked. Ill post a pic of what I have now later, it's even further away from the cup.

OBN0001.jpg DSC_8512.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread