Fun Math - Average Recovery Value

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The curious type, or perhaps just bored? Try this:
Take the total number of your clad recoveries and divide that into their total dollar value.
On day one I dug 342 coins, on day two (a very short hunt) I dug another 72 coins for a total of 414 coins. The total dollar amount is $20.10.
So, my average recovery value on this property is .0485 cents per recovery. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
We are profit hunters in my family and do keep very good records so we do not waste our time.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already know id make more picking up cans than metal detecting, if I start getting into math that takes the fun out of it. Im definitely not in this hobby to get rich or anywhere close to it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was in it for the money I wouldn't be in it, especially here in Indiana, however, I still enjoy maintaining a sense of humor. Actually rely on it here. :laughing7:

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.1 x 10^-99999999999999999999999999999999999999999.

In layman's terminology I'm suckin. But that will change with the next target.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll need to count total recoveries - pulltabs, canslaw pieces, coins. Then do trash to good target ratio, hours spent searching and see my trash to teasure ratio and my earnings per hour. The only problem is then I would probably cry when I realize my old hobby of street drumming was much much more lucrative... $30-$180 per hour. The only problem is detecting is so addictively fun. I knew with my old hobby that I would make modern American money. I made thousands in change and never got a single silver coin. I checked every dime and quarter for years. I don't know that I knew about red seal and blue seal bills or war nickels back then though...

DigitalDirt

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People ask me if you can make a living metal detecting.

I always say "Sure.....as long as you can live on $2.00 a month."

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are profit hunters in my family and do keep very good records so we do not waste our time.

For the most part I prefer value hunting as well, just as I believe most in this hobby prefer. I've known several who claim otherwise and yet they know the exact value of everything in their collections. So regardless the motives I think value is high on everyone's list.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is an addiction....you just never know what's coming out of the ground with the next target, even when you've dug so much junk and clad and you're sure you can probably guess. :laughing7:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigscoop, I'm on your side. Always been a numbers guy. Baseball stats, horseshoes, wet fly vs dry fly, etc., and now metal detecting since Dec 28, 2016.
Keep a running total of everything. I know that my penny % has gone from a high of 82% down to 69%. Not finding less P, just more other.
Definitely not in it for the money, just a very very fun game to play in retirement. Digging is exciting, fun. Developed a love for digging holes, after digging many office desk sized holes, searching for Indian artifacts, on my property.
Digging up a perfect t spear point would be equal to digging up a gold ring.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost didn't read this thread because the title made absolutely no sense......."Fun math" Didn't realize there was such a thing.

HH, RN

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my math

swinging the coil = happiness

The more you swing the coil = the more you will find

detecting is like a free lottery, the next plug might be "THE PLUG".

Enjoy the high you get from digging those keepers.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about all the folks who love to claim "the machine paid for itself over and over"? did they buy an etrac for $4.68 ?

chub

DigDug891

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Houston
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Had my AT Pro for about 3 weeks now. Learning/hunting curve, 5 trips out, parks and dry sand beaches, and I'm up $2.68. No silver yet, and 2 rings from local park that probably came from the toy vending machines @ CiCi's. Never expected big finds, but remain hopeful. Love it just the same. As a newbie, starting to feel a bit paranoid and self-conscious about digging holes in public park grass, even though it's all legal as I have checked online municipal ordinances. Just waiting for the first 'local stranger' to approach and accuse me of disfiguring the park. What do you say, "At least I'm not killing Mockingbirds." ?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now running at .15c per coin dug. I try and only dig quarter or higher signals but sometimes slip into a state of mental insanity and hunt for old coins, and have noticed the fun factor goes up as the coin value factor goes down. I do pick up surface pennies and dimes, just don't dig them except when looking for old ones.

? How do you factor in trash. I have quite a bit more scrap pieces of metal than I do coins.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread