Actual buried coin 6" coil test. Anyone?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure, buy me a 6 inch coil ! haha . my coin garden has silver dimes and half dimes at various depths, so if I ever get the money together ever I'll find out.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might sell you mine if I don't start seeing some better depths from others. My test was sub par for my anticipation! I know they're not made for depth but most old sites have deeper coins. If I can't hit 6.5-7" dime I may as well just stick to my tejon 5.75 concentric in the polluted sites.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my nox 600 with 6” coil away for my last 4 hunts on the beach and switched back to using my gold bug pro with the 5” sniper coil. I doubled my good finds and dug lots of good targets at 6” with good coin finds and a nice necklace. Easier to differentiate a bad dig from a good dig. The gold bug loves coins. I’ll go back to the equinox again someday but it’s a real relief to swing a lighter machine that screams when it over a good target.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually buried a silver dime and tested the depth capabilities?

I've seen one but he claims to have primo soil which is not the case for everyone. Videos would be best to see and hear the signal in action.
Check out Calabash Digger’s video on youtube testing depth with the 6” coil.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I started when I got my detector, to see what they ring up at then wrote them down for seeing what they were so I could find dimes & quarters--- plus wife's wedding ring , for gold rings to find. HAPPY HUNTING

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out Calabash Digger’s video on youtube testing depth with the 6” coil.

He was the one I was referring to about great soil. He always mentions great depth in his garden from most machines. I'm not saying my ground is bad.....but something most definitely changes from an air test to actually buried in dirt. I expected some loss but it seems too extreme to me.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI --

I'm working on getting a video uploaded for you; I did some testing in my test garden, 11" coil on several different coins, and then the 6" coil. As I noted, the soil in my test garden is tough dirt; an 8" dime is a tough target, and there's an 8" silver quarter that I essentially can't even hit.

Anyway, I agree with you; there's ALOT of depth loss from air test numbers to in-the-dirt numbers...a good 3 inches, it would seem. More than I expected.

Steve

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI --

I'm working on getting a video uploaded for you; I did some testing in my test garden, 11" coil on several different coins, and then the 6" coil. As I noted, the soil in my test garden is tough dirt; an 8" dime is a tough target, and there's an 8" silver quarter that I essentially can't even hit.

Anyway, I agree with you; there's ALOT of depth loss from air test numbers to in-the-dirt numbers...a good 3 inches, it would seem. More than I expected.

Steve

I'm looking forward to your video Steve. My next free evening I'm going to make one as well on this. Thought I shot a good clip of it but can't find it on my SD card so I assume I either erased it or shut the camera off thinking it was being powered up. Oh well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ground is pretty bad. When Vferrari comes up in the fall I may let him do a test. He has a 6" coil. I think. It will be November however, and I'll probably forget by then:)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What recovery speed are you guys running? Are you guys ground balancing the machine?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might sell you mine if I don't start seeing some better depths from others. My test was sub par for my anticipation! I know they're not made for depth but most old sites have deeper coins. If I can't hit 6.5-7" dime I may as well just stick to my tejon 5.75 concentric in the polluted sites.

where in PA are you? I live just across the central/western part of the boarder. If it is not too far maybe we can test it out for ya.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not expect the same depth with the 6" as one would with the 11" or larger coil. Different tools for different jobs. What I do know is that I've taken the 6" to a couple of trash laden parking strips that I detected over pretty well before, and slowing down and really listening, I pulled coins out I've missed before. In some areas a larger coil can be more of a problem then a help. I believe that would hold true on any machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ground is pretty bad. When Vferrari comes up in the fall I may let him do a test. He has a 6" coil. I think. It will be November however, and I'll probably forget by then:)

C'mon Smokey...I can't wait for months! Lol

What recovery speed are you guys running? Are you guys ground balancing the machine?

I tried many different configurations of sens., IB, Recovery. I had mine on auto GB.

where in PA are you? I live just across the central/western part of the boarder. If it is not too far maybe we can test it out for ya.

I am in the SW corner of the state.

I really do not expect the same depth with the 6" as one would with the 11" or larger coil. Different tools for different jobs. What I do know is that I've taken the 6" to a couple of trash laden parking strips that I detected over pretty well before, and slowing down and really listening, I pulled coins out I've missed before. In some areas a larger coil can be more of a problem then a help. I believe that would hold true on any machine.

Nor do I. However, if it can't hit a 7" silver dime in an area that is a clean test bed one can't have confidence it will smack it with iron all around. I know not all coins are living deep but there are lots and lots that are!

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my nox 600 with 6” coil away for my last 4 hunts on the beach and switched back to using my gold bug pro with the 5” sniper coil. I doubled my good finds and dug lots of good targets at 6” with good coin finds and a nice necklace. Easier to differentiate a bad dig from a good dig. The gold bug loves coins. I’ll go back to the equinox again someday but it’s a real relief to swing a lighter machine that screams when it over a good target.

Hawk what frequency is that machine running, and your settings?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go, HighVDI.

Please note, that 8" silver quarter that I ran at the very end of the video, with the 6" coil, is a TOUGH target; earlier in the video, when I ran it with the 11", note that it barely chirped. I think the 6" coil "chirped" that target as well as the 11" did. Anyway, the results are, in my mind, OK. As I told you, the soil in my test garden is tough for detectors. I get better depth -- and much cleaner, more consistent hits on deep targets, in the real world, as compared to my test garden -- despite the fact that the garden is now 7 years old. One other issue, in addition to the dirt, is that both I and my neighbor have both installed electric in-ground dog fences, and this was done AFTER I located the garden. This is part of the issue, and is a big part of the EMI you hear...

Anyway, here it is. See what you think.

Steve

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety of targets there. Definitely not earth shattering depth like some were led to believe but seems average. I'm wondering how much depth loss you would get set back to the original 18 sensitivity on the air test.

Really, your results on the silver dime are VERY similar to mine. Thanks for the video, Steve.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just re-reading manual, and I just noticed they advise bringing a coin to the site and your going to start detecting in , bury it and figure out best settings in actual conditions to find it.

so your machine is geared up and tuned to actual site conditions
I think this very practical advice

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I agree with you, HighVDI. Not earth-shattering, but MAYBE "enough?" I think, in my dirt, all told -- based on all the testing I've done on the coil so far and my experiences with how my test garden's results compare to "real-world" detecting results, the very limit of possibility on the 6" coil will be an 8" dime/penny, and maybe 8 1/2" on a quarter...

IF I can prove this to hypothesis to myself, and manage to actually dig a 7 1/2" to 8" dime with it, then that will give me the confidence that IN ADDITION to what I will gain in separation ability with the 6" coil, I will NOT be giving up TOO much, in depth capability (such that it would negate any separation advantages the coil offers, in the types of "real-world" hunting sites and situations that I generally experience...)

There is no doubt that for some, the separation advantages that the coil offers would be significant, for their type of hunting, even if it meant 3", or even 4" of depth loss. But, my take is that given the number of old coins at the 7" and 8" depth that are found in the sites I hunt, that -- FOR ME -- makes it very necessary for the coil to be able to give me solid ability on at LEAST a 7" dime NO MATTER its separation ability. Otherwise, if a coil were only capable of 6" depth or less, I'd be very hesitant to use the coil in the types of sites I hunt. Because while I'd know that I'd pick up quite a bit of separation ability, the knowledge that I'd be unable to see a good majority of the old coins (given how many are beyond the 6" depth mark) would strongly reduce my ability to "hunt confidently" with the coil. Such a coil (capable of no more than 6" on a coin) would then be relegated to an extreme "specialty" coil, for me, for only the very trashiest/nail-filled spots, and then ONLY after hunting it heavily with the 11" coil, and digging as many of the deeper targets as the 11" coil would allow. Then, at that point, I might put on the 6" as a "cleanup" coil, just to see if there were a few shallow, but masked, coins that I had missed with the 11". I would MUCH rather have a coil that would allow me the confidence that it is BOTH a better "unmasker" than the 11" coil (allowing me to feel confident that I could find coins missed due to masking), AND is still a reasonably deep coil (allowing me to also feel confident that in the less trashy parts of the site, I would still have a chance to find coins missed due to being relatively deep -- deeper than "inexpensive" detectors might be capable of seeing).

This is why I loved the 6x8 SEF coil so much on my Explorer. That coil offered separation ability beyond that of the stock 11" coil, BUT -- it was no problem to bang out an 8" dime or penny with that coil. PERFECT. Maybe Minelab (or some other coil maker -- DETECH, are you listening?!) needs to make an 8" Equinox coil, or a 7" x 10" elliptical, or something like that...

Meanwhile, however, before jumping the gun and deciding that I need an 8" coil, I need some time to see if the 6" can BE that coil for me, by finding me a 7 1/2" to 8" deep dime. If it can, then it's a coil I will use frequently, and confidently. If not...then I will be eagerly hoping that someone might step up, and build a good 8" type of coil for the EQ...

Steve

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawk what frequency is that machine running, and your settings?
The gold bug runs at 19khz. Used on the beach I set the disk on 40. Sens. Straight up 50. Ground balance and go in and out of the water thigh high. Great for salt and fresh water. Weighs only 2 1/2 pounds. Love it. Can’t miss a coin with it. It screams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread