Additional evidence

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

If the Beale party was real, and there actually were Indians helping them, then we know the Indians hadn't seen the cave in Bedford County, VA. Evidently Beale was referring to only the members of his party.
Having said that, it's not 100% clear that Beale was referring to the cave which they all had visited. In the context of his statement he not only mentions the cave, but also Buford's Tavern, as well as the county of bedford. Either of these could have been the place they all had visited.

"It was finally decided that it should be sent to Virginia under my charge, and securely buried in a cave near Buford's tavern, in the county of Bedford, which all of us had visited, and which was considered a perfectly safe depository."

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

If the Beale party was real, and there actually were Indians helping them, then we know the Indians hadn't seen the cave in Bedford County, VA. Evidently Beale was referring to only the members of his party.
Having said that, it's not 100% clear that Beale was referring to the cave which they all had visited. In the context of his statement he not only mentions the cave, but also Buford's Tavern, as well as the county of bedford. Either of these could have been the place they all had visited.

"It was finally decided that it should be sent to Virginia under my charge, and securely buried in a cave near Buford's tavern, in the county of Bedford, which all of us had visited, and which was considered a perfectly safe depository."

It's true, Beale was referring to "a perfectly safe depository", so it does sound like he was talking about the cave, but remember, Beale also said he "deposited" in the county of Bedford. He considered the county of Bedford a safe depository. Is that what he meant in the statement above?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the story actually happened, the treasure most likely would be buried in the center of one of the partner's property where it could be watched. I will never believe they simply went out into the woods and dug a hole buried the treasure covered it over and left hoping that no one would discover their depository. That would be insanity at it's highest.

When you run a boarding house or a tavern you will meet all types and kinds of people and everyone has a story to tell you. Samuel Clemens lived not too far from Lynchburg, Va. he could have given or told the story to Robert Morriss. Also everyone must remember that Robert Morriss was over eighty years old when he turned over the manuscript or box of contents to James Beverly Ward. Half could be real and the other half imaginary. As far as I can tell I am leaning towards the story being made up to make a buck. For whom or by whom only James Beverly Ward knows the answer and he's not talking.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Also everyone must remember that Robert Morriss was over eighty years old when he turned over the manuscript or box of contents to James Beverly Ward. Half could be real and the other half imaginary. As far as I can tell I am leaning towards the story being made up to make a buck. For whom or by whom only James Beverly Ward knows the answer and he's not talking.
Are you of the notion that James Beverly Ward was the "unknown author" as well as the copyright agent and publisher?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you of the notion that James Beverly Ward was the "unknown author" as well as the copyright agent and publisher?

No I should not say this but I will. My theory is if you read the "Job Print Pamphlet" and the "Hart Papers" pay attention to what you read because if you do the author of the story is easy to find out. Myself after reading and reading I believe that Robert Morriss was the author. It is all spoken and written as if by his hand. The Hart Brothers even say that he gave everything to JBW. If Robert Morriss gave everything to JBW and JBW is agent for the author then Robert Morriss has got to be the author. JBW could have employed the help of Sherman and Button to set the type and even polish up the story. That is probably why it took over a year or two after story was written before it was copyrighted and why copies were burned in 1883 and the copyright in 1885.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I do hold many concerns and doubts concerning the HART PAPERS and George Hart's influence on Pauline Innis and her GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE. Ward's 1885 copyrighted BEALE PAPERS job shop pamphlet is the only original source of the Beale treasure story.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then again, Clayton Hart was the only person that talked to James Beverly Ward and his son that was a postmaster. He also went around Lynchburg, Va and talked to folks to verify the Washington House, Inn, Hotel or whatever they called it at different times in history. It seems to me their part of the story is very beneficial to anyone trying to unmask this story to get at the truth.

I also found where Thomas Beale, Senior was buried and it was not in the Presbyterian Cemetery. The place he was buried cost $44 and his coffin was $60. So evidently he is not buried on the Plantation either. Thomas Beale, Senior was a high rolling gambler much like "Maverick" This caused a lot of problems for him.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Clayton Hart talking to Ward and son comes from the HART PAPERS, is there verification outside of the HART PAPERS that verifies this meeting?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clayton Hart talking to Ward and son comes from the HART PAPERS, is there verification outside of the HART PAPERS that verifies this meeting?

The NSA Documents?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to anything about the Beale Treasure it is hard to find. Can not locate any of James B. Ward's children or grandchildren to talk to. It seems citizens of Lynchburg, Va even the libraries and the Historic Hutter House no one even knows where the Risque Plantation stood nor have any of them even heard of the Beale Treasure. It is really odd. Hard to find out anything when no one knows anything about the subject. It should be well known by the citizens but it is not. Can't find the plantation nor the cemetery where Giles Ward and his wife along with James Beverly Ward and his wife and two of their children are buried. One of Robert Morriss' grandsons was wealthy and famous you would think the families and their kin would have keep up the old home place? About as hard to find out any information on the Beale Treasure as it is to crack the codes.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Adeline Ward McVeigh's great grandson, Gorham B Walker Jr is pictured in the 1967 VMI BOMB YEARBOOK, and was listed as being on the Board of Overseers of Sweet Briar College.
His wife was President of the Lynchburg Garden 1966-1968
Other familiar names that were also presidents of the Lynchburg Garden Club:
Mrs Peter O Ward Jr 1994-1996 / Peter O Ward Jr is a Lynchburg attorney
Mrs William B Hutter 2014-2016
Or:
Max Guggenheimer, Lynchburg independent farming-forestry professional/ Lynchburg College & VMI

Whether or not they want to be bothered with questions concerning the Beale Papers is another story, but many of the descendants still live in the Lynchburg area.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I already talked to Prof. Max G. (Lynchburg College) about his Great Grandfather; ONLY Civil War stuff & "Biz" stuff, it was at THE TEMPLE here, during an "Open House". NOTHING about the "BPP" (aka JOB PRINT).

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adeline Ward McVeigh's great grandson, Gorham B Walker Jr is pictured in the 1967 VMI BOMB YEARBOOK, and was listed as being on the Board of Overseers of Sweet Briar College.
His wife was President of the Lynchburg Garden 1966-1968
Other familiar names that were also presidents of the Lynchburg Garden Club:
Mrs Peter O Ward Jr 1994-1996 / Peter O Ward Jr is a Lynchburg attorney
Mrs William B Hutter 2014-2016
Or:
Max Guggenheimer, Lynchburg independent farming-forestry professional/ Lynchburg College & VMI

Whether or not they want to be bothered with questions concerning the Beale Papers is another story, but many of the descendants still live in the Lynchburg area.

When you list the Wards of Lynchburg, Va you have to be very careful there are three different branches of Wards in the Lynchburg area. What connection is this Peter O. Ward, Attorney? Is he related to James Beverly Ward or the Giles Ward branch of Wards. He could belong to the John Ward Branch and they are no relation to James Beverly Ward's Branch.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Max Guggenheimer's great grandfather IS mentioned in Ward's 1885 Beale Papers as owning the house that once belonged to Robert Morriss.
Wonder what his opinion is concerning the job shop pamphlet?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When you list the Wards of Lynchburg, Va you have to be very careful there are three different branches of Wards in the Lynchburg area. What connection is this Peter O. Ward, Attorney? Is he related to James Beverly Ward or the Giles Ward branch of Wards. He could belong to the John Ward Branch and they are no relation to James Beverly Ward's Branch.
Giles Ward was James Beverly Ward's father so that would be the same branch that is part of the extended Risqué bloodline which includes the Hutter family.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Giles Ward was James Beverly Ward's father so that would be the same branch that is part of the extended Risqué bloodline which includes the Hutter family.
Very true... HOWEVER! John Ward (no "kin") was MORE famous, "AROUND HERE"; FROM Campbell County, Ward's Road up here in Lynchburg/Campbell County is named "for HIM... AND! A building, called the Ward Building near 9th Street was the FIRST site of Hill City Lodge (Free-Masons). in 1859. BEAUTIFUL building, still standing... and HAUNTED! Heh...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread