Admit it......how many hours do you average for one silver coin?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
silver does not come easy * first stop and think --where were the folks hanging out at 46 years ago and before in your area ? ( 1964 and before --the age of silver coins --because just like folks today loose clad dime and quarters )-folks of that time frame lost "silver ones" -- silver was common in "pocket change" then.

often its not whats at a place now but what was there 50 to 100 years ago --so getting to know your local history is a real plus to find good hunting locations

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've had 100-silver-coin weeks and 10-silver-coin years. No biggie. But you gotta go out and hit every target of opportunity that comes along if you're chasing silver.

Once you pull that silver from the ground, it's not gonna be there ever again.

People have been pulling silver from the ground for hundreds or thousands of years, it's been made much easier in the last 50 years or so. People have stopped dropping silver into the ground in the most common way of years past, by losing change.

Thankfully, there were special members of society in these interim years between the development of modern metal detectors and their future variants. People who knew that the only way to preserve the bulk of ground-bourne silver coinage was to mask it with screw caps, pull tabs, bottle caps and canslaw.

God Bless the nail makers, they have saved many a coin from being sought out in these intervening years and given rise to the need for newer, more advanced metal detectors. Technology marches on because of these people, the many who shared a Coke and a smile, the Pepsi Generation, MGD and King Cobra lovers alike.

One day you too will pull an Old Style can or some large part of one out of the ground and after rechecking the hole, recognize it for what it is, a silver-coin preservative.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lowbatts said:
I've had 100-silver-coin weeks and 10-silver-coin years. No biggie. But you gotta go out and hit every target of opportunity that comes along if you're chasing silver.

People have been pulling silver from the ground for hundreds or thousands of years, it's been made much easier in the last 50 years or so. People have stopped dropping silver into the ground in the most common way of years past, by losing change.

Thankfully, there were special members of society in these interim years between the development of modern metal detectors and their future variants. People who knew that the only way to preserve the bulk of ground-bourne silver coinage was to mask it with screw caps, pull tabs, bottle caps and canslaw.

God Bless the nail makers, they have saved many a coin from being sought out in these intervening years and given rise to the need for newer, more advanced metal detectors. Technology marches on because of these people, the many who shared a Coke and a smile, the Pepsi Generation, MGD and King Cobra lovers alike.

One day you too will pull an Old Style can or some large part of one out of the ground and after rechecking the hole, recognize it for what it is, a silver-coin preservative.
Very well said. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunt early sites and find very few because they are just not there to find. I could dig many more by hunting 100 year old sites but I'd rather hold out and get something that's more my interest. Here is 2 of the 4 so far this year, and chances are I won't even make it to 10 but that's ok.

Attachments

• 2010_9.jpg
    2010_9.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 501
  • 2010_9a.jpg
    2010_9a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 2010_10.jpg
    2010_10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 2010_10a.jpg
    2010_10a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 2010_9.jpg
    2010_9.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 2010_9a.jpg
    2010_9a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 2010_10.jpg
    2010_10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 2010_10a.jpg
    2010_10a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 484
OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I hope I didn't come across as thinking this was easy. I am a die hard muskie fisherman.....have been for over 40 years. They say a trophy muskie ( a 40 incher at least) is a fish of 10000 casts. I can't confirm that stat, but it doesn't surprise me. I've taken less than a dozen of 40 inches plus in those 40 years. Yet, I continue to pound the water for them 2-3 harde weeks per year. It's the quest, and the possible, that drives me. I think this hobby is quite similar.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 to 3 months :tongue3:

all depends on location and luck swinging
the coil over them

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Lowbatts said:

That was almost poetic. Definitely inspirational! I'm keeping this post just so I can read it when I need a boost. Thanks.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very hard to say. I have only found 2 silver coins so far this year.You have to remember that detector has been around for over 30 yrs. At least that I when I have started hunting. Back then I could go out and find a dozen silver coins with no problem. But now all the public places has been pounded hard. But there is still silver in some of these places. So the best places to find your silver today is in private yards. Do a lot of research and find those places that is not there anymore. Then you will have better luck on the silver....Matt

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday 5/26 I was out hunting for about 6 hours in two different parks. I was fortunate to dig 3 silver coins (one quarter, 2 dimes). So on that particular day I averaged 2 hours work for one silver coin. In 2010 I've spent approximately 150 hours hunting about 20 different parks in the Bay Area of S.F. I have 53 silver coins. 150 hours divided by 53 = 2.7 hours per silver coin. I try to get out at least once a week for the thrill of the hunt, not to make any money. :wink:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done one for one, but only for sights not hit hard. Hit the back areas, in the woods, off the beaten path. Try the older parks in trash areas using small coils. Try to get access to untouched yards. These are ways to help your odds. Nowadays I am happy with one per 4 or 5 hours :(.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get into private yards as gleaner said, that is where your luck will increase on getting silver

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
mlayers....sorry, I now see that you mentioned the yards, I did not see that earlier. I like yards. My buddy has been detecting for many years, at least 30, he hates yards...he's just spoiled I guess.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Over the past 40 years I've gone from several per hour to one every 3-5 hours...Most all dimes. Time was, 3 cent pieces, IH's & half dimes were relatively common. Now a silver dime rates a big smile. ;D

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it takes forever! I found two Mercury dimes in two days, but they were the first in over a year. Key was the location. Both were found in the same area. Unfortunately, I realized later that I wasn't supposed to hunt there so I can't go back for more...

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
only one this year, it was really old but would like to find more... I found over 30 barbers last year and around 20 mercs... don't know what Im doing wrong this year, but have been doing ok in the relic department....GH

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I have only been hunting since last November. I have found one 1943 quarter at a beach that dates back to the mid 1800's. I have found 4 pieces of silver jewelry at tot lots and five gold rings on a football field (all in one hole). It usually takes me 4-6 hours of searching for each quality find. I don't have any leads on older gathering places, so this hurts my silver coin count.

If you fish, you know it is a simple question of right spot, right equipment, right technique, and time spent.

Keep casting! The rest will follow.

-Fathead

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 years ago I was hunting in the midwest, heavily populated areas in some very old towns and I averaged a silver coin every one to two hours of actual detecting time. Now I can go months without finding a silver coin. I used to have coffee cans full of silver cons and now I have a little leather pouch that is a long way from being full. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread