Admit it......how many hours do you average for one silver coin?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a rare thing these days to find an easily accessible older location that hasn't already been detected to death, most of the shallow good finds have already been removed. On other hand, every once in while you'll run into that small patch of earth that's still got several good targets in it. Obviously, most of the best hunting opportunities come on private ground if you can gain permission. Thinking outside the box can payoff sometimes as well, in recent years I've had pretty good luck in the older public places hunting the road edges and the thicker brush lines, a lot of detectorist just don't want to hunt these places for one reason or another. Another place where I've done really well is the waterline along the windy shorelines of lakes, seems a lot of items get moved into the first couple feet of these waterlines because of the constant wave action, but sadly, most of it is pretty scratched up and badly worn from the constant pounding of sand, etc. Personally, I've never hunted a piece of ground that didn't have some form of man made metal in it so there's always a possiblity that good finds are there also. Find a good spot and it's a good day, don't find a good spot and it's still a pretty good day. Keep looking, do some research, think outside the box when you need to, you'll find some silver. :hello:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 every 4-6 weeks on average, except during the summers, or weeks when the ground is frozen. I could dig more if I wanted to put up with digging clad...but I have a short fuse when it comes to coins that would be easier to recover in a parking lot.

If it ain't CW era or earlier, it can stay in the ground. :wink:

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Wow, reading some of these replies I guess I am very, very lucky. I found a silver dime my first weekend of metal detecting! (last weekend) Of course, I've found dozens of pennies, nickels etc along with that. But finding that 1964 dime was nice! I hope I don't have to wait another 2 months to find another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread