"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gleaner thank you for the great posts and pic's of the repairs. My CZ-20 is still going strong and I would be unable to do any repairs to mine if mine fails. But I am inland now for all my hunting and I still have other water detectors though I don't dive much anymore.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I beat the crap out of mine hip mounted in the thick woods for many years. I was not very careful back then. Plenty of slack and a bit of caution will prevent cable failures.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Final pics of the carnage. Okay, questions anyone?

One major question please.

Where are the switches available from, (not from Fisher I've tried several times) I need to replace all 4 on my latest CZ-20.

A part number for each one and a supplier would be most appreciated.

ivanll

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ivanll I made a phone call to Fisher and had a sense switch in the mail that day. Now, the scrim switch, let me tell ya, that is impossible to replace. It's a factory job. Actually, the factory would not replace the scrim switch, they would replace the whole switch board assembly, which is the long and short of a 21 upgrade. Your machine is a crapper if the scrim switch went south. The sense pot is a different story, that is is a cake walk repair. You can always send it in for an upgrade, which by all means is a very good option for the older 20's. Good luck with your 20. If and when mine craps out, I will go for the upgrade. My fingers are crossed and my super strain reliefs are holding strong.

Last edited:

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Never thought there would be so many hurdles in obtaining a few pots and switches.
My latest CZ-20 have the small knobs, by trying to remove one and replacing it with a larger one............well the shaft came out instead of only the knob, had to do a Cuban repair.
Volume switch/pot have a bad spot which affect audio quality at times, so it to needs replacement one day.
Got 3 CZ-20 which are all working inc. the latest home repaired one, so it should be possible to keep two or at least one going for many years to come, otherwise Alibaba is only a few keystrokes away.
If my CZ-20's had not been so pleasant to work with and given outstanding service over so many years they would have been replaced long ago by a home brand.
Got my first two CZ-20 in June 1996............best beach detector investment ever.

ivanll

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I said in this thread, do not force the knob, cut it off with a dremel. It's a little work but better than ruining the switch. You can order knobs from Reid or similar. Ream out the holes until the fit is loose. Torq the set screws tight and use a bit of loctite on the set screw. I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would want to risk all the work to put a bigger knob on a cz20. Sounds crazy actually.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread