Adventures in Half-Dollar Hunting

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, I dumped the dregs of a Loomis box at my local bank. FYI, that box coughed up one 90% Kennedy along with two 40% ones.

After I received my cash from the coin machine (which, btw, stiffed me 50 cents because it only tallied $498), I asked the teller if she had any half dollars or big dollar coins.

She said she'd check the other tellers and returned with two halves. I gave her a dollar and, much to my surprise, I was the new owner of two 90% silver Kennedys.

Though, technically, they weren't found in rolls, I'm going to count them as if they were.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls & teller coins always count the same.
I once got Morgans, Peaces dollars and a Franklin from tellers.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are other types of 'adventures' to be had.
Last week I visited a bank to gather some info.
Naturally, when I was finished I asked the teller for any rolls of half dollar coins.
While the teller, who was obviously new, stared at me like I was speaking in a foreign language, the Queen Bee shot me a look of disgust that would otherwise be reserved for seeing a pile of vomit in the parking lot of Vern's Eats on all you can eat chili day, and spat out "We don't have those here!!"
I turned to face my attacker, and the view was directly in line with the first tellers tray, which contained at least 10 half dollars.

I resisted the urge to ask "Oh, you mean the coins like that?", as I could see I was in no win territory.

Besides, they were all obvious clad.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Scottw : maybe the Queen Bee was only thinking ROLLS like you asked for, you never mentioned loose ones. Oh well, at least there were NO silvers in her tray.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression she just enjoyed being 'difficult'.
There is so much turnover in jobs like this in my area.
It is too bad, considering I scored 3 full rolls of 40%ers there a few years back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread