Clip

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Not 100% sure as the opposite end doesn't seem off that much, but could be my 3rd clipped planchet:
S20180924_0001.jpg S20180924_0002.jpg

If you look on the reverse by the "of", I think that may be a little of the Blakesley effect, but seems to me like it should be more pronounced with that much missing?

Regardless, N=nearly makes up for my worst-to-date bag just before it (5 wheats and 2 canadians total). Happy hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is likely a legit clip.

It sounds like OP is familiar with the Blakesley effect. In case anyone else is wondering what that is . . .

Basically the Blakesley effect is that when the clipped planchet is struck, the RIM opposite the clip does not form as it normally would. By opposite, that means 180 degrees from the clip (not opposite face of the coin).

I'd say that you are seeing the Blakesley effect on the obverse below the bust (near the wrinkles of the jacket).

Attachments

• Blakesley.JPG
    Blakesley.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 88

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the Blakesley effect and looks good to me.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is likely a legit clip.

It sounds like OP is familiar with the Blakesley effect. In case anyone else is wondering what that is . . .

Basically the Blakesley effect is that when the clipped planchet is struck, the RIM opposite the clip does not form as it normally would. By opposite, that means 180 degrees from the clip (not opposite face of the coin).

I'd say that you are seeing the Blakesley effect on the obverse below the bust (near the wrinkles of the jacket).

K, I was confused as I thought it was supposed to be kinda the equivalent, not just the rim. Thanks for the insight!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread