Advice for a NEWBEE... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys hope all is well.
I'm sure this happens a lot. Someone starts to hunt and gets obsessed and wants all the best stuff. I posted when I joined the forum that I just started hunting and I'm using the Garrett 150. This will not be a phase to me as I plan to hunt until my body will no longer let me so my question is this. I have a budget of about $1,200 that Is totally set aside for my new hunting lifestyle. For those of you that have been in the game a long time and have used multiple detectors can you guys/girl please let me know what detectors stand out from the rest. I do not need the most expensive one around but I would like to buy a product that I know others will use and have used. Basically what detector should I get that I know will be a solid tool for a long time to come and what important accessoriers I should focus on. Thank you all again for your help so far. I couldn't be more into this!!
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Research and research detectors. Do not rush to buy one because of what someone else uses. Haunt the detector sub forum. Define your needs and wants in your hunting style.
Where you hunt and how you hunt may be very different than some one else , leaving you with a detector that,s unsuited to your needs let alone wants.
We have great vendors here, yes because they are here, but also because of their acquired knowledge.
Research them also,heck call them and ask for help. Your doing going to help more than if I do it for you but here,s a start,call Bart at big boys hobbies.
Better to try them out yourself but a trusted source,(careful!) if such exists is possibly a next option.
Happy hunting.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also seems the people happy with their detectors spend enough time and get to know how their detectors work……..

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also seems the people happy with their detectors spend enough time and get to know how their detectors work........

You could not have said it better. Regardless of the machine getting to know what it is trying to tell you is the key. The second most important thing is where you are hunting. Older sites=older finds. Do some research ask older people where groups gathered. This can lead to a virgin site with a lot of goodies to be discovered! Good luck and happy hunting!!

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I started 11 months ago with a teknetic alpha 2000. It was in the $200 range and pretty much found everything. I was not finding the treasure/coins I was hoping for, but that was just that those particular spots were not where people were dropping a lot of money at that time (or previously, it was salvaged). Then I decided I did not want to coinshoot, I wanted to go after the big payoff caches like the 2 tons of lost silver and gold bars on the Great trail by the French in 1758 (near Minerva, OH). So I bought a Nokta golden king for about $5500. I still used this for surface finds too, but its real strength is locating cavities deep in the ground (like 18 ft down) with metal in those cavities. Pinpointers are a must if you want to minimize digging time. I recommend the Garret pro-pointer. I have come to the conclusion that any big caches finds need further research than I have done so far and landowner's permission. Meanwhile I am using an AT Gold (ebay used once $493 including shipping). I think this is a good investment both for coinshooting (despite the smaller than AT pro coil size), and good for highly mineralized ground. It is easily ground balanced and will also be good for hunting gold. Also waterproof to 10 ft. Go to spots where people fish, party, or um ... do other things and this will be the spot to find lots of goodies amonst the trash. check out Beau Ouimette on youtube. Lots of the time he snorkles and uses just a fan to push the sand and silt away and does not even use his detector. He will do return visits to these spots that he knows are sure winners. This hobby takes time to get good at and you will see enough scrap iron, pulltabs, to make you scream. Even Beau has a clip on a stone building that yielded only a few nice buttons among the hundreds of nails and farm detritus. If this hobby was meant for you, it will be worth it in the long run. Just try to avoid paying retail. You can second hand stuff that works is and that is A-OK

Last edited:

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMO, your final decision should include if your detector is capable of hunting in rain and if it is versatile enough to hunt in highly mineralized or salt-water beaches. Ask yourself what you would do after spending a grand, planning a trip and then arriving at a spot only to be "rained out." The second item I mentioned (mineralization & salt-water) can be addressed by selecting a multi-frequency detector. Without multiple frequencies, you will likely get frustrated with the detector giving false signals and/or having to reduce the sensitivity so much that it can barely find a coin sitting on the top of the ground.

The At-Pro is a single frequency-VLF detector that is waterproof to about 10'-0" deep and good on many inland areas that do not have significant mineralization.

The Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Excalibur, and Minelab CTX are MF-VLF detectors that are waterproof and can be used in any soil/ground condition.
To find out the soil/ground type in the area you wish to metal detect, you can visit USGS.gov for more information.

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the response. What I have been focusing on are pretty much surface finds that the Garrett 150 limits me to. What I'm looking to advance is what the detector tells me. I'm very well prepared to dig up countless amounts of garbage. i was just curious as to as the price of the tools rise what about them is getting better? The actual readings or the ID of what is in the ground. I've seen detectors with better screens on them to help separate garbage finds from goodies. This might be the holy grail of questions and might battle the "meaning of life" question but that is my goal to figure out, lol. Again I don't need the best of the best. I just want to learn more about what each detectors pros and cons are... Thank you again.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be good if you could get your hands different detectors and do your own testing them out to figure out which is best for you?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the response. What I have been focusing on are pretty much surface finds that the Garrett 150 limits me to. What I'm looking to advance is what the detector tells me. I'm very well prepared to dig up countless amounts of garbage. i was just curious as to as the price of the tools rise what about them is getting better? The actual readings or the ID of what is in the ground. I've seen detectors with better screens on them to help separate garbage finds from goodies. This might be the holy grail of questions and might battle the "meaning of life" question but that is my goal to figure out, lol. Again I don't need the best of the best. I just want to learn more about what each detectors pros and cons are... Thank you again.

"What about them is getting better".
For me [#1= ground balance, and #2= depth] has improved over decades,as is does on average with level of units,and would be a reason to upgrade. With each machine there comes in my opinion a point of diminishing returns even using it for its intended specialty if it has one. The most depth will cost the most within reason as will special purpose and features beyond a minimum. To someone who digs by ear a screen a waste of money. To another target screen i.d. with no audible may triumph.
I ran a 150 quite a while . Next a 350. To continue average next step if such exists would be an AT Pro. Then start looking at something like one of minelabs offers or a competitors offering in same level of a machine,I,m not saying who is best as a mix is required or progress stalls in development.
This for coin shooting and park hunting with an occasional venture towards hitting old homesteads. Could have started with a best selling high end of any brand but machine just part of it. were I forced to chose for some one hunting with me it would be an AT Pro but other units in its league,price and performance wise could work just as well I imagine.The best detector is between the handle and the ground and has a heart powered pulse. Add a detector made for your type personal hunting sites with greatest proven depth ability (good luck there,l.o.l.) and compatible with soil and mineral ect.. In your budget the right minelab(or caliber type unit) on a trial or thorough test run might last a while. Finding your nitch and unit to fit it half the battle,then you can watch the used market also. Then someone will be out there with opposite results than your favorite machine.:santasmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you relivantchair,
I think if I were to but the AT pro with a pro pointer might be my best bet...at least for now. HAHAH I have to keep reminding myself that Im still new to this and even if i buy an AT pro now I doubt it will be my last MD purchase. I think im putting to much pressure on myself with buying something I'm gonna hate. I know I wont hate it at all... Thanks for that variety of info. You guys are great! Glad im a part of this group now.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've recieved some great advice from the group. The higher priced machines add multi Frequency options, so those detectors analyze the metal to better id what is in the ground. None of them are foolproof. In your price range you might consider the Garret AT Pro or gold, or move up to the Fisher F75 LTD , T2SE, or even Minelab E-trac and Whites V3I for a multi frequency machine.

Give me a call if I can help you in your decision. I've got experience on most of the machines in the market.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Wayne,
I'm actually going to take you up on that call. When are good times to call? I may be a little tied up today but let me know.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a day trip out to Gettysburg to Gettysburg Electronics Gettysburg Electronics Call Don first and set up an appointment to try out everything in your price range as well as used units that may be even better. He is a great guy, even talking on the phone. Wish I had gone out before buying as I may have chosen something else had I been able to touch everything first and try them out.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your from pa. Get ahold of tom miller at MillerMDZ. He's a great guy to deal with.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range you have an extremely wide range of detectors. Do your online research, check out the Brands boards, and then make a trip or two to an actual detector shop so that you can hear and feel the detectors you are most interested in. Be aware that detectors vary greatly by weight, which may be of big, or little importance to you. Like every tool, you need to handle them to get one that feels right to you.

Be aware that not all detectors are submersible and if you think you might want to water hunt, you need to pick waterproof detector. You should also be aware that buying a detector over the internet can be expensive. Some big stores will charge you a restocking fee of up to 30% if you so much as open the detector box.

Also, if you are intending to land hunt be sure to buy a good pinpointer like the Propointer. Good luck, it is a fantastic hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions