Advice for a Newbie?

rahrahmah

Greenie
Apr 4, 2005
BC, Canada
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to this hobby, but not to the passion for treasure! I have a couple questions, first and formost: what do you guys think is a good MD for a beginner? And secondly, I live in British Columbia. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find much of any worth or interest, since my provice hasn't been settled very long, nor has there been very many interesting events here, compared to the states, or even Eastern Canada. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome, and thank you!

Upvote 0

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
First off, there are no plces too old to hunt. You may get lucky and find all kinds of good stuff even if its not old. I have been in this hobby and I'm always surprised to find things in the most unlikely places. If you want a good detector you'll have to do some homework to find one suitable for you. Since you live in western Canada, I would say you should try gold hunting in some of your local rivers. My advice would be to buy an MXT from whites, you can hunt for coins and go prospecting all with this one machine. You can get one really cheap from a local dealer for a lot less than what is posted by whites, usually around $500 U.S. if you want something a little less expensive to start out with you could always try a Prizm from whites, they are a little more expensive than bounty hunters, BUT they have a great resale value over bounty hunter, check out ebay and you will see what I am talking about.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the people on this forum, these days seem to think the Garrett 250 is a good Starter Detector.

On age of B.C., I wouldn't worry too much about that. all it takes is places people congrigate.

You started at the right place, asking here, I'm shure you'll get many answers & Help here.

This is a great bunch of people.

Good Luck ; ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?J E F F

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have known people to find good things with the cheapest detectors. The more money you spend the deeper you go and the better, and more efficient you will be. I would probably go with A Garrett Treasure Ace 250. Any of the lower end Whites, Tesoro would do. To get an idea of what is offered see the Kellyco link at treasurenet. I would not buy here unless they compare to local prices. Also if you find a dealer near you he will help you get started and give you some good local advice.

Good Luck,

Ed Donovan

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Rahrahma, hmmm....sounds like you could be the forum cheerleader. HAHA. Seriously, a name brand detector is the way to go. You might check your town/city for the closest MD club as they usually know some good areas to detect and it's usually more fun to have a hunting partner to compare notes with and to say "worst find buys lunch" ;D. Most detectors have a preset position for beginners to use and then as you get more comfortable with the use, you can "treak" (adjust the settings) for better results. You might want to look on your side of the border and compare prices with ours after calculating currency conversions with the shipping included. It may only save you $10/20 but too it depends on what you have available up there. It's a fun hobby and can be quite addicting so enjoy, read the forum, post questions, and Welcome to the forum.

M

mattjd

Hi rahrahmah. Two things i need to tell you. The first thing is don't buy a Bounty Hunter Detector. I have owned one in the past and was not satisfied with the results. Buy a low end Garrett or Whites and you'll be fine. Secondly, you can find treasure of some form or another wherever you are. If your looking for a certain type of treasure you might have to go to a different continents to find that perticular type of treasure. I'm not knowledgable about your part of Canada so I couldn't tell you what you can expect to find. If you ever travel to the US, good places to find old historical items and treasures would be the Eastern States as they were the first settled and have the most history. Matt

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Beautiful country up that way. Was years ago but visited Vancouver B.C. and loved the people up there. Friendly and very polite. Best of luck with which ever machine you decide on.

F

Floater

Welcome RRM. First off the Bounty Hunter is a good detector. The older ones that MattJD mentioned may not have been but do your homework and buy the best you can afford for the type of hunting you want to do. You can always sell it on E-bay if you don't like the hobby/sport. TreasureNet is the best forum bar none and trust me on this there are some good ones out there they just don't have the features and amount of threads and knowledge you will get here. I spent almost 4 months researching before buying my detector. I finally settled on a Excalibur. Like Minelab said it fits our needs and styles of hunting. You need to figure what those are going to be. HH

OP
OP
rahrahmah

rahrahmah

Greenie
Apr 4, 2005
BC, Canada
Thanks for the advice, everybody! The one that seems to be recommended the most is something frome Whites. The point about it being waterproof is a good one. I'll probably do more beach hunting than anything, since there is so much beach to choose from here! I assume it being waterproof is a good thing in a case like that. I'll probably be getting one around next month or the month after, after a bit of saving, so I have lots of time to do reserch. Thanks again, your experiance is very helpful!

A

amxgerry

being as you are in canada i would like to reccomend rich,s locator service in rocky mountain house alberta . rich is a great guy and will give you a discount, and you will save the pst.

he deals in whites, tesoro etc, and myself and several friends have bought a lot of items from him and i just got a new whites gmt nugget detector from him'

no-one ellse could touch his price.

from what i have read a whites mxt would be a great unit if you want all purpose detector that will allso find gold nuggets. it was a tough choice for me between gmt and the mxt, but gold is all i want to detect for so i went with the gmt and so did 2 of our friends.

they both get close to a thousand bux canadian with some extras like headphones, coil cover etc, but best to start out with a good unit, than spend a little less for something you wont be happy with.

for less money the new tesoro vaquero sounds like a good unit , that is all purpose and seeems to be good for finding gold as well.

rich may still have one that my friend bought last month for under 600 bux, and friend only opened the box, and traded it in the next week for a gmt as he decided nuggets was all he wanted to go for.

rich may give a furthur discount on that particular unit. metion the one that arthur got and traded.

http://www.richs.ca/

tell him gerry from prince george sent you, and he even came out to visit us on our claim last summer, and stayed a few days.

regards gerry

A

another _novice

You might be surprised about finding things of value. Yesterday, I heard a talk by someone from Toronto about Canadian medallions and coinage he gets from people who find them on beaches, in parks, etc.? He came to Buffalo to talk at one of the clubs.? Since Canada is a relatively new country, the coinage isn't very old, and the original coins were issued by merchants and then by banks and not by the government.? Around the 1840s, aluminum pieces were issued - aluminum then was as valuable as gold because it was hard to extract.? These pieces (some were coins, I believe and some were were medallions) were widely circulated and stay very well in the ground (by the way, the guy said to soak them in olive oil but don't even think of cleaning them in any other way).

The medallions were interesting as well.? People graduating from high school often received medallions? - and the speaker said, if you didn't pay for something, it often got tossed out right in the school yard. So you can find a lot of these in places where schools were, or still are.

Some of the things he showed were worth a lot, but mostly, the collection really showed the history of some of the places that made them, and that's fine by me.

rahrahmah said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to this hobby, but not to the passion for treasure! I have a couple questions, first and formost: what do you guys think is a good MD for a beginner? And secondly, I live in British Columbia. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find much of any worth or interest, since my provice hasn't been settled very long, nor has there been very many interesting events here, compared to the states, or even Eastern Canada. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome, and thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread