Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I'm sorry. We have 3-4feet of the white stuff! I lost it there for a minuet!
I'd loan you my fire breathing dragon but he's on vacation in Aruba with Murphy.

Ya you can detect and dig thru the snow. Try the plowed piles for goodies in parking lots.

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback. I'm researching a very small town in the 1920s that is no nowhere to be seen. Just woods. I'm hoping to get my first real detecting...if I can narrow it down a little bit:>)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice, stay home! 4 - 6 inches of snow means you will only get a couple inches of depth and those top 2 inches will likely be frozen.

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging all winter... it's out of pure irrational behavior. Even when the sun is shining and the snow is melting, the ground is usually frozen. It's like hacking away at concrete. Just take Aleve and some Whiskey. Have fun-- it will drive you mad!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
time to learn patience grasshopper..........

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dig in yellow snow, just saying...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is my opinion that unless you can find some locations with 1 to 2 inches of snow or less, your' metal detector is going to be seriously handicapped. The signal that the coil emits will likely be highly reflected due to the frozen crystals of the snow and the snow will also attenuate the signal, thus giving little penetrating depth through the snow and into the ground.

Frank

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I think Jeff G is right, I need to practice a bit more patience and pray the weather turns better. Cheers!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken my snow scoop out before and removed small sections about 8' by 8'. It makes it very easy to grid out an area. If you can find a spot where there were a thick concentration of leaves the ground will be softer. Good luck

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel