Advice needed on older Aquapulse detector

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just scored an older Aquapulse 1a detector off of fleabay. I am always reluctant to buy any used detector online, but especially an underwater detector. Anyway, before I bought, I spoke to Jason Nowell who has taken over the US service of the Aquapulse line. He told me that all parts are still available for the 1a and that it was upgradeable to a 1B for around $200.00. I was wondering about the performance difference between the 1a and the 1B. Is it worth the upgrade? Also, how much deeper are the 15 inch coils over the 10 inch coils. Also, any thoughts on how the Aquapulse stacks up to the JW Fishers Pulse 8x? Thanks in advance.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was going to suggest you contact Jason when I saw Aquapulse. Jason has a J W Fishers 8 you could ask him about that. I dont know if he has side by side compared. JW Fishers have a slow pulse rate, they are good on large iron objects, not good on small objects or gold jewelry or any alloy. That is why no one uses them for finding jewelry at the beach. Just wont find it. Not great on cobs that are silver /copper alloy, which is most of them. They must be close to coil. But you can find large iron pipes, cannon balls, and big iron things deep, that is what they are made for. Jason might be able to check his JW Fisher against an Aquapulse. He is ScubaFinder on here. I think that is how it is spelled. Maybe spaced. As for the 15" coil, it will go deeper than the 8" or 10" coil, and cover a larger area. You might get a foot or more of depth increase on bigger objects over the 10", and maybe 1' or more in width of detection area. Pulse detectors go much deeper and wider than VLF, and big coils make them go very deep and wide. I have detectors with larger and smaller coils, and the larger coils dont really miss tiny stuff, actually find much more because it goes deeper and wider. But many people use a smaller coil in a trashy area, lets you single out the good targets in the trash. Hard to pinpoint in trashy areas. You just pick up the coil some to pinpoint. Problem is you will be digging very deep holes.

Last edited:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
In my experience the 1B is streets ahead of the 8x. Owned the 8x first, and still do but do not use it anymore, have three of the 1Bs. Once you are comfortable with the 1B and the 15 inch coil you will be amazed at its capability. One of the nice things about the Aquapulse is the ability to plug in whatever coil is required for a particular dive. Would suggest having both coils. I also have a couple of pin point coils which are great when working in rock crevices in the bedrock.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I have used an Aquapulse, it had all different coils and a pinpoint coil too-seeing the above post. I know Jason has used that model, I was there with him, he would know.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also started with a Pulse 8X originally. Great machine, found a lot of cobs with it in Jupiter. I switched to the AQ1B for greater durability, and better detection of smaller non-ferrous targets. Many times, a Pulse Induction (PI) detector will not see a gold chain with small links. PI works by emitting a pulse which in effect "charges" any metal objects under the coil. Then the detector senses any remnants of the charge held by metallic objects. Gold and silver (being very good conductors) loose this charge very rapidly. Tiny gold parts (like links in a tiny chain) loose this charge very quickly, sometimes before the detector can even sense it. This is why very small gold and silver objects are sometimes missed by PI's but found by VLF detectors like the Minelab's. Put a pendant on that necklace and any detector will see it. Aqua Pulse detectors are much better than other PI detectors in this area, which coupled with the increased durability is why you see them on most of the serious professional treasure hunting boats.

As far as accessories go, Aqua Pulse has 8", 10", and 15" coils, plus a 12", 36", and adjustable/extendable probes. We also offer large boat-towed coils and custom accessories to fit your needs.

Jolly Mon - I wouldn't get in too big a hurry to upgrade your AQ1A. There is little difference in functionality between the two. The upgrade extends the battery life, and makes my life easier if it should come in for repairs by adding chip sockets instead of having the IC's soldered to the board, etc. As far as improving the effectiveness of the detector, not too much has changed and your unit will still out-perform many current PI detectors.

I have used just about every metal detector on the market in real world situations. All detectors have their strong points, but in my opinion the Aqua Pulse has the best blend of function, options, and durability. Before someone asks, I formed that opinion long before I joined the Global Marine Exploration team and became the sales and service agent for Aqua Pulse USA.

Jason

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We only use Aqua pulse and the half reales we find prove it's working. I wouldn't use another underwater detector

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Had my AQ1A for 15 years. Best investment I ever made. detector.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great information, guys.

And thank you, Jason, for not trying to sell me on an upgrade that I don't really need.

My unit is coming with 8 and 10 inch coils, but I think I at least will go ahead and get the 15 inch coil as well...The Aquapulse accessories are lot more reasonable than the JW Fishers accesorries, that's for sure.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
After seeing that picture of Pete's Aquapulse, I have known a lot of successful treasure hunters who have those. The grey plastic housing gives it away. They say they are the best for wreck working. That was many years back, but with changeable different sized coils and a probe, you cant beat it.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You definitely cannot beat it for searching wreck sites Steve. Also, thanks for the help yesterday...the pressure washers didn't do the trick either but they got us down to bronze at least. :-)

Jason

quicho1961

Greenie
May 15, 2007
Hi Jason
Yesterday i got a used but in excelllent shape AQ1B, never sumerged in the water. The question is this.
The detector comes with the Nicad charger and the front panel said AQ1B, but has i know, this charger is used on model AQ1A, not AQ1B.
I measured the batteries voltage and was 9.1 volts afte purchasing the unit. Last night i charged the battery for just 6 hours cause i had to run to my office. All in all i measure again the voltage and i got 9.8 volts.
The detector works fine, but sometimes it gets some unstability and is difficult to tune it, may be because i m located inside my home that is under a big power lines that can cause EMI to my MD. Same thing happend with other PI units.

About the battteries i suspect that this unit was upgrated from model AQ1A to AQ1B, but the battery charger was not is the same old version for Nicad batteries.

Any commets that can help me will be appreciated.
In advance many thanks
Nelson

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nelson,

There is only one charger that can be truly bad if used on the wrong model, it is very old and has a white case and cable. Some of the newer chargers can be a little "hot" for the smaller (AA sized) NiMH battery packs but not terribly bad. ASll of the tall can detectors that we service always get C sized batteries which can be charged with either charger, only the short cans should have the AA sized batteries in them so you should be OK unless you have a short can detector. Your comments lead me to believe you have an older unit with the taller can.

Feel free to call with any additional querstions, contact info at www.aquapuilseusa.com

Jason

quicho1961

Greenie
May 15, 2007
Hi Jason and thnaks for your reply
Yes you are right, the detector have the tall can and 7 "C" batteries inside.
Now the only doub about performance is some unstability and is difficult to tune it, may be because i m located inside my home that is close to big power lines towers that can cause EMI to my MD.When i start to detect an object far away, the sound start normal by doing tac tac tac, then after i get closer sound like unstable signal, but always keep centerer on the target and when i get closer to the target there is nice strong signal with no unstability. Very deep machine
So can you orient me about this problem.? Today after work i will try to do a field test away from power lines, cause i don´t know is this detector is afected by EMI.
Thanks for your time
Regards
Nelson
Santiago, CHILE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread